Six Hours In The Saddle - 2011 Entries Now Open

S4OZ

Squid
Tyre choice for SH!TS

Hello
I have never ridden in this area before.
My tyre options are -
Front: Maxxis Medusa, Maxxis Ignitor
Rear: as front, plus Crossmark

What would you suggest I fit for Saturday's six hour? I am going solo.

Cheers, thanks.

S4OZ

Squid
Thanks for that.
So, how much does rain affect the tracks?

If not much, it could be that my preferred combo crossmark rear/ignitor front stays.

Or should I run something more "wet ready"?

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
Looking forward to the long roll around Beechworth this saturday. Might pop in and check out the Tumut tracks on the way home too.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that.
So, how much does rain affect the tracks?
Well, a couple of years ago it had rained a fair bit leading up to the race. I was in a team with a triathlete who'd just bought an MTB.

She did one lap, and last I heard, hadn't ridden the bike since. :rolleyes:

I got around fine on my Monorails, but the course was definitely greasy in spots. A mate on Ignitors / High Rollers (F & R respectively) was pretty happy.

anyfin

Likes Bikes
The tires you are running will be fine. If it should rain, put an Ignitor on the back as well!

Favorite combo's for Albury which have similar terrain out the back of Nail Can would be Rendez- Ignitor front with TT , Crossmark, Ignitor rear.

If it stay's dry you could run Crossmark's front and rear.

There have been some rocky sections in the past so it might be an idea to watch your pressure's.

sossy

Saucier
Does anyone have an official count of corners? knowing how many left vs right would be great. Also, is there a how to section on the website for riding the course? is the third corner before the second rock a corner best come at from a wide or shallow approach?

Can't we all just go ride? analysis paralysis people. Bikes are fun yeah?

For the record, I'll be riding new tyres, on a bike I have ridden not very much, and still be having fun.

akashra

Eats Squid
Would love to go up to Beechworth again one year to do this one, if only to un-do the bastard of an end to a race I had there - in a field of 70 double-flatted on the last lap and dropped from 10th to 30th :(
Nice and rocky, my kind of track.

As for the tyres thing as Rich says, can I throw a suggestion out there - a strategy that's taken years of planning to come up with*? Pick three tyres you like, and just pick from them: Wet, soft and pea-gravel. It should be pretty blatantly obvious what most tracks are. It's fair to say if you're not racing at the pointy end of the elite field, it's going to make FA difference beyond giving it the best you can on the day.

* = For those unable to detect cynicism, sarcasm and facetiousness by now, feel free to complete this sentence.