skate park on dh bikes

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, I have my bike up and running and am hoping you can give me some pointers. First up I am not doing this when others are around so don't fear that I am going to clean any one up. I have only one bike so different bike is not an option. Can someone tell me if it should be easy to launch out of the bowl or will I keep crashing, is there some technical way of getting over the lip or is it just a matter of practice. Please realise there may be many imbecilic questions to come as I have never skate parked before and am pretty old by most of your standards.
IMG_20150624_102034.jpg
Just this bit of the bowl catches me out every time, cheers for any tips and bagging.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hahahahahaaaaaa....sigh. I've don't this a few times when the trails are too wet etc. What kind of crash are you having?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Lol... wouldn't a DH bike be too long/slack/laid back/heavy for general skatepark riding, let alone pipes and bowls?

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Hahahahahaaaaaa....sigh. I've don't this a few times when the trails are too wet etc. What kind of crash are you having?
When the front wheel hits the metal pipe/rail the wheel tries to loop back over me. The metal bit sticks out by about an inch or so. I have only tried on the smaller wall of the park. I put the wrong photo up, the wall is about half that height. Shall take photo if needed but a wall is a wall I guess Edit: the small wall on the left

Last edited:

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Lol... wouldn't a DH bike be too long/slack/laid back/heavy for general skatepark riding, let alone pipes and bowls?
its only a 6 incher with 7 inch triples. Not true dh but close(ish). My second go at the park this morn and buzzing round the whole bowl bout halfway up( I impress me,he he) but all in all its a blast. I am not a trickster so it is fine apart from lack of steering circle

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Weight too far back, try shifting your weight towards the front of the bike. It may also help to stiffen up the suspension so you can get that little pop of the top.
Cheers, shall have a crack at more front weighting. I have to admit that I have been hanging over the seat. I guess stiffen the front and rear ?

will2

Likes Dirt
You are keen. I am usually afraid of the bowl on a DJ, I always seem to get heckled by sketchy teenagers dealing drugs.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
You are keen. I am usually afraid of the bowl on a DJ, I always seem to get heckled by sketchy teenagers dealing drugs.
Give them a go on the dj bike, suddenly every kid will want one. Could swap it for some ciggies brah??

Dh bike at the bowl is always interesting, I can't jump for shit in a bowl because the geo of a long slack race bike isn't made for those kind of lips. Hucking the 6' to flat is about the best you can do in there.

will2

Likes Dirt
Give them a go on the dj bike, suddenly every kid will want one. Could swap it for some ciggies brah??

Dh bike at the bowl is always interesting, I can't jump for shit in a bowl because the geo of a long slack race bike isn't made for those kind of lips. Hucking the 6' to flat is about the best you can do in there.
Definitely will, good when raining and empty. Or I could stay home and blaze a deck of cancer sticks.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pretty much. You can jump (sort of) if there are some ramps that aren't very, one of my locals has a nice table top. It is a 4ft 1/4 pipe, 5ft flat section, and flat steepish down ramp. Nothing special but can be tricked on pretty much any kind of bike. Bowls can be fun for a bit of berm railing as well. But overall don't be expecting to pull anything fancy.

When the front wheel hits the metal pipe/rail the wheel tries to loop back over me. The metal bit sticks out by about an inch or so. I have only tried on the smaller wall of the park. I put the wrong photo up, the wall is about half that height. Shall take photo if needed but a wall is a wall I guess Edit: the small wall on the left
As already mentioned, come forward a bit and compress your forks on the way up. Get some pop. When your front wheel pops the coping it wants to flip back because of your weight and the geo. Also push the bike. You need to show it where you want it to go! Oh and ride faster...so your arse will push through.

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
I never see teenagers when I get there, bout 6-7 in the morn. When you have limited skills like me its best to hide until improvement. Wish the dealers had free samples of weed, then I would show up a bit later

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt

I can't jump for shit but at my age its about time. Waiting for a properly working rear shock before the mini hucking starts.

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Pretty much. You can jump (sort of) if there are some ramps that aren't very, one of my locals has a nice table top. It is a 4ft 1/4 pipe, 5ft flat section, and flat steepish down ramp. Nothing special but can be tricked on pretty much any kind of bike. Bowls can be fun for a bit of berm railing as well. But overall don't be expecting to pull anything fancy.

As already mentioned, come forward a bit and compress your forks on the way up. Get some pop. When your front wheel pops the coping it wants to flip back because of your weight and the geo. Also push the bike. You need to show it where you want it to go! Oh and ride faster...so your arse will push through.
Thanks, shall try in the next couple days and let you know how it goes.

will2

Likes Dirt
I never see teenagers when I get there, bout 6-7 in the morn. When you have limited skills like me its best to hide until improvement. Wish the dealers had free samples of weed, then I would show up a bit later
Way too early for them. Late night session at Damo's house having bongs.