Skate park riding need help.

*INFERNO*

Likes Dirt
Sometimes protection helps. I found shin gaurds seem to help with conferdence. But like everything else, practise makes perfect.

yeah just ride around, do a few little airs to get started and get comfortable on a few hips. once you can hip properly try going up a quarter and trying some airs, try not to go straight up when you do them the first time, i started at 45 and rode out at 45 and just try carving less and less. and always spot your landing. try some tricks out of a quarter once your comfortable in the air. most importantly dont go too far beyond your limits and dont be afraid to ask rother riders for some tips when riding, most of us are tamed ;)

Ducky Punk

Banned
as a full time park rat here are some pointer

look at the locals to find the good lines and to help yourself to not snake them, no one likes a snake
dont snake any bikers or skaters
snake scooter kids as much as possible
if your messed around learning fakies and 180 hops kinda stuff dont do it anywhere near the most popular lines
wear a helmet
dont be discouraged if your not learning super fast it takes time
have fun and talk with the other guys there dont be weird and not talk to anyone cos it sounds like your wanting to spend sometime there and its always better when there is some to talk to

LEARN TO PUMP most important thing you can learn

jackaroo

Likes Dirt
Yeah, just check out what everyone else is doing and have a go at it 'practice makes perfect', you can also ask the others down at the park how to get some tricks down.

as a full time park rat here are some pointer

look at the locals to find the good lines and to help yourself to not snake them, no one likes a snake
dont snake any bikers or skaters
snake scooter kids as much as possible
if your messed around learning fakies and 180 hops kinda stuff dont do it anywhere near the most popular lines
wear a helmet
dont be discouraged if your not learning super fast it takes time
have fun and talk with the other guys there dont be weird and not talk to anyone cos it sounds like your wanting to spend sometime there and its always better when there is some to talk to

LEARN TO PUMP most important thing you can learn
haha i enjoyed that bit. if you can get away clean do it. but generally try not to snake anyone. always look around to see what others are doing before you drop in, generally the person who drops in first has the right of way

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
read the skate park ettiquit thread!

DONT SNAKE (cant stress this enough) not only will everyone hate you but theres a fair chance you will get injured (not neccisarily from falling of your bike ether)

theres alot of complete dickhead hang around skate parks, you learn who they are pretty fast, dont be an annoying new kid though, asking millions of questions all the time, it annoys people.

mostly just go have fun :)

oh and unless you are naturaly gifted it will most likely take a long time before you are busting out alot of tricks and style etc, patience is good :)

yeah, that thread is pretty much the ten commandments of park riding. and another tip is find when peak hour is there so you can avoid it. seriously st ives skate park on friday arvo is PACKED and im not saying when its not :p i wanna keep it that way. sometimes in peak hour you need to wait about 20 minutes for a decent line to open up

well, theyre allowed in the foam pit and apparently sometimes theyre are allowed on the street course if they know what theyre doing and there arent many people. otherwise its foam only

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Try and get there in the morning as I find it is genrally at its quietist. This means youve got heaps of space to learn and you can try a few things that you wont be abe to at peak hour. eg. fakies,180s...

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
Yeah all great advice here!

I find with anything in life freinds help alot. The majority of people react very warmly to a compliment and people love to show off!

Combining these could work like so....

I try a manual over the box, someone feels the need to show me how well he does it. I compliment him, "whoa that looked sweet", he then more often than not will reply with "yeah thanks mate, you know if you bent your legs and straightened your arms you would have it too". Yadda yadda, 1/2 hour later your organising to meet up later in the week.

I love riding cause it's very social as well as self challenging and solitary!

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
Does any one know if mtbs can be used in monster a couple of mtes said they were allowing them to ride, any truth to the rumor?
yep they sure are. i went there on the queens birthday and there were so many people there. The dude let me in, but he was not to friendly. He kept saying to me "careful of the ramps if you break one your paying for it". I said ok but questioned why he was only telling me. His response was "MTBs weigh like 20kgs don't they" I picked up my bike and handed it to him he said "hmmm" gave it back and walked away without another word =).

1 for Todd.
0 for random skater dude who works at monster.

Love Todd

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep they sure are. i went there on the queens birthday and there were so many people there. The dude let me in, but he was not to friendly. He kept saying to me "careful of the ramps if you break one your paying for it". I said ok but questioned why he was only telling me. His response was "MTBs weigh like 20kgs don't they" I picked up my bike and handed it to him he said "hmmm" gave it back and walked away without another word =).

1 for Todd.
0 for random skater dude who works at monster.

Love Todd
that’s there excuses for not letting mtbs in monster? They think they weigh 20kg? They should do a bit of research or get a better excuses before banning something. mtbs will do no more damage than a bmx.

jackaroo

Likes Dirt
that’s there excuses for not letting mtbs in monster? They think they weigh 20kg? They should do a bit of research or get a better excuses before banning something. mtbs will do no more damage than a bmx.
Yeah, a bmx is just as bad not only do most weigh about the same as a mtb but some bmx's run pegs as well, wouldn't you think pegs are more likely to destroy a ramp!, They must think that all mountain bikes are like DH bikes.

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
Yeah, a bmx is just as bad not only do most weigh about the same as a mtb but some bmx's run pegs as well, wouldn't you think pegs are more likely to destroy a ramp!, They must think that all mountain bikes are like DH bikes.
The people there are so arrogant, some DJs can be like 10-11 kg (even less!), so unless they think that 1kg of difference from a BMX will save their ramps, they shouldn't even be near bikes, and you know what, i recon a DH would be able too survive monster and keep the ramps safe, and they must be pretty shit if they think it will break:rolleyes:

lol, me and my bike combined weigh less than the average bmx rider without his bike. i might try get in there some time. if i dont ill go ride 4x and street

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
lol, me and my bike combined weigh less than the average bmx rider without his bike. i might try get in there some time. if i dont ill go ride 4x and street
Mate you should be able too get in (unless there wankers:rolleyes:) and if not, we might need to make this possible for MTB riders too get in, they did it with the shitty lad scooter fags, so why cant they do it with us?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: