Skatepark and suspension.

stpdj

Likes Dirt
Occasionally when i get bored i do flyout tricks at my local skatepark. I have had pikes that have gone soft i put a harder spring in them and they have gone soft again. i also have argyles that have gone soft in the same way. i am wondering if anyone would know whats going on and also if the skatepark has anything to do with it. they are both on 95mm of travel and always as hard as they can be...

Thanks heaps

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
If you're 16 years old there's a good chance you're becoming heavier. It's why the girls are looking at you funny.

- Joel

stpdj

Likes Dirt
Yer, it is on full lockout. im actually 17, 6 foot 1 and 76 kg. i am getting bigger but by all means wtf is going on with my suspension ... haha thanks guys

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe try a non Rock Shox/Sram branded fork and see if the same thing happens?
How long/how much riding did it take until you noticed that your forks were... going soft on you?
You might be able to get a nasal spray for that stuff...

_dirtjumper_

Likes Bikes
Occasionally when i get bored i do flyout tricks at my local skatepark. I have had pikes that have gone soft i put a harder spring in them and they have gone soft again. i also have argyles that have gone soft in the same way. i am wondering if anyone would know whats going on and also if the skatepark has anything to do with it. they are both on 95mm of travel and always as hard as they can be...

Thanks heaps
Here is a good tip, go and buy a bmx, perfect for a skatepark.

Ha. "I'm noticing hair where there was no hair and my voice is funny too...":):)
Dude, your getting that too, few, I throught I was the only one having that happen to me.:D:D

jack568

Likes Bikes
Yer, it is on full lockout. im actually 17, 6 foot 1 and 76 kg. i am getting bigger but by all means wtf is going on with my suspension ... haha thanks guys
I wouldnt ride it with full lockout on! It prevents the forks from doing what they are meant to do, Either buy an extra firm spring and ride without the lockout on, otherwise it sounds like you need yourself some rigids :)

Ps. the reason that your forks keep going soft is you have probably f***ked the suspension by keeping it on lockout

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like your lockout has a blow off mechanism for hard impacts to make sure you dont destroy the fork internals on hard hits.

Lockout isnt designed to take on jump landing impacts, just get some rigid forks.

stpdj

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the comments guys, I dont want ridgids because it hurts my wrists. The lockout is on full , but it still moves a bit, just enough to keep speed up and so it doesnt hurt. and no im not getting a bmx, i want to ride a mtb at the park soo i will. but my question is preetty much answered

J--A--C--K

Likes Bikes
more travel is all u need throw some totems on with a firm spring and theres an extra 3 inches of travel to blow threw problem solved..... or if u dont care about ur forks working over the rough stuff to much you could up the weight in the damper from the 5 weight to like 15 and that will make them feel rock solid on the hard impacts ... and while were going dodge fill them with to much oil and that will restricked the travel and when u bottom out on the oil it dosnt make that horrible noise of metal hitting metal so it dosnt feel like ur going to stuff ur forks ignorance is bliss...

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
try none rockshocks forks, or get air spring ones so you can adjust the pressure, all rockshocks spring forks i have seen/used have gone soft.

dont know why.

or run ridged and toughen up, if your only riding parks ridged is fine, you will ride smoother too

stpdj

Likes Dirt
Sweeet, thanks Rabatt!, maybe air is a good idea. but then again would the hard impact blow out a seal or something along them lines, just coz they will almost be ridgid.

0psi

Eats Squid
Maybe some even harder springs? I'm sure there is an X-firm, or being a DJ fork, an XX-Firm spring available. Does your fork have compression damping? If so, bump that up a bit.