skatepark etiquette

DH danny

Squid
i was riding belco today and there was about 5 kids under ten years old on bmx's who were just stopped in the middle of the donut trying to fix a kids helmet while a whole bunch of skaters were waiting to do a run. its not too hard to imagine why skaters often dont like bikers.
i know i have two little kids in my family and every time i go to a skate park they always come too:mad:

And while ther are up off thier asses for once maybe they can do something about our fucking shit skatepark. don't fool anyone mate, council would rather suck my balls than do anything about our skatepark.
You can always speak to your local council rep. they are usually pretty helpful. a few years back my mates and i got talking with the local rep in jindalie and we got those stupid "pimple humps" in the middle of the skate park and got the jump box you see today put in. in regards to kids in the middle of the way, those old pimple humps were kid magnets. the parents just let them roll around on these crappy little jumps that were right in the middle of the skatepark "highway" accidents every day. so glad to see them gone. to track down your rep go to your post office or a school. they can tell you where to find their office.

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
i know exactly what you mean. them bogans that cant even afford their own bike and they just stand around and say stuff like "you suck!" and "do a backflip!". pisses me off
I have a similar problem. About 15 kids at the BMX track, just there to get in the way, point at the "big corner" and run down it (crazy i know!) and ask me why i'm there. wtf...

mountainous

Cannon Fodder
Good etiquette

Hi I'm just new to the rotorburn website.....I'm actually a skater not really a biker, not yet anyway ( Looking for a S/hand DH / Freerider). Anyway enough bout me. I'd just like to say I'm glad there are some Bikers who respect and understand that there is "Unwritten law" in skateparks, because the amount of times Bmxers have vibed me out of a session is uncountable. Now I'm not here to bag out riders cause I actually like watching Bmxers smash up a park, its sick. The thing is cause bikes are so big, maneuverable and only rely on a couple kicks on the peddle for speed they can cover a park in no time.This means that if the rider dosn't care about those around and takes only a little piece of the pie they can take over a parks free space in no time, which crushes any skate session cause no skater wants to slam into a bike!
Heres a couple extra things to keep in mind-
1. If your going to manual a platform give a hoy to those there as your approaching caus it scares the crap out of someone to suddenly have a bike wheel flying past a foot from their head.
2. If you use pegs don't smash them into the coping ( Coping = ramp/bowl lip ), this trashes the coping in no time.
3. if you want to do a line against the park flow let the crew know
Good thread, thanx for listening

Zac Ride Bike

Likes Bikes
He forgot two main things there.

1) if you are not a local you have no power you were locals tell you and do as they say until you earn there respect.

2) skaters hate bikes so fuck em,dont mean to piss them off but take what they say to heart,just ignore them.

Ducky Punk

Banned
i know exactly what you mean. them bogans that cant even afford their own bike and they just stand around and say stuff like "you suck!" and "do a backflip!". pisses me off
lol whenever that happens to me i just either send a 3's or get up in there face and tell them to GTFO

Ducky Punk

Banned
He forgot two main things there.

1) if you are not a local you have no power you were locals tell you and do as they say until you earn there respect.

2) skaters hate bikes so fuck em,dont mean to piss them off but take what they say to heart,just ignore them.
LULZZZZ im good friends with most of the local skaters at my local so that a complete lie

Yeah, annoy them as much as possible:D Give em a taste of their own medicine ie. snake em:cool:
damn scooter rats:mad:
;) i approve of this statement. btw even trucks arent hard on a scooter, pretty much anyone who rides will be able to do them on flat after riding one of 5 minutes

i always hate how some think theyre so much better because they can tailwhip a scooter and i cant tailwhip a mtb. first i laughed, then it just gets annoying

Thankyou!

i have found this very heplful, one thing you didn't mention was that you don't mention your're a new rider if its your first time at a skatepark, I have found that you get snaked alot more and it as you mentioned not to sit there and do nothing is when you go, is great, your right just ride....

anthony_coleman

Likes Bikes
the worst thing about skateparks is when scooter kids give you shit for doing the same trick over and over to get it dialed, they dont realise that if you screw up on a bike its a hell of a lot worse than a scooter or skateboard!

Spotty

Likes Dirt
totally pooned a scooter kid when i was hittin the park the other day on my bmx. He was like 20, twice the size of and smokin, and i was runnin in to the moon, when he came down the quarter and bam, cleaned him up. he seemed was pissed off....

That afternoon when i got home and took my shoe off, my foot had all swollen up like a bread machine. XD Damn rain kept off the brass, i wouldnt off even felt it was on that.

Bah, he rides scooter, wtf.

soo annoying

The othe day at the local skate park there was a lttle kid on a skooter about 5 yr old an his sister bout 9, were sitting on the box and running around the skate park and i asked them to move so i cold do the transfer and when i jumped it next to the little kid on skooter he kept swearing at me every time i did the transfer or a jump next to them!
ye, something like that happened to me the other day.These two little kids were being dicks and snaking everyone on purpose and then i told then to fuck off and then they started swearing and came up to me (i don't know what they were thinking, im like twice their size) and then they started to try and hit me (again, wtf they were like half my size, it felt like some one was lightly pushing me) soi pushed them over and they left me alone. So I thought i was all good until their older brother came by the next day and started threatening me. Like wtf i didn't do shit, the kids started it ALL.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
hate to say it and admit it... my two sons ride scooters at the local park. I take my bmx down and hence threaten any of them if they cut my line I will use them as a transfer from bunny hop to nose tap...

I will gladly ride over my own kids if they are riding scooters and take my line. :p

but then I have to deal with their mother when we get home... not fun :(

jan1

Squid
Great thread guys,
Agree with all your points respect to all, every one has right to use parks. I ride a MTB and a bmx but not at a park. we have the same problens with parents letting their kids play on the track and then abuse us when things go wrong. Alll these rule are made for safety as well. Theres nothing worse than throwing your bike away and hitting the dirt because some kid is playing in the road ( 90% are on scooters), i weigh arount 100kg so hitting them with any speed will be nasty. One of these kids took out my 6 year old on her race bike and the parents just look dumb. I know this thread relates to skateparks but if you go to a bmx track please don't ride the wrong way around just tryin new lines to get big air, it sux for everyone else.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
there is a pecking order at any skate park.
it goes something like this, if i remember correctly.
*Good skaters
*Good bikers (20/24/26/29?) not 16 or below
*average skaters/bikers
*scooters
*drunken people on bread crates/shopping trolleys
*little kids on bikes etc (depending on how big dad is)
*people on fruit boots can just fuck off back to the eighties. they have no rights, and its everyones responsibility to remind them of this!

or just be a normal park and not have any sort of order. fuck that if someone snakes me i dont care how good they are or what they are on, they should apologise. if they dont and they keep doing it they can just fuck off.

and you have the scooters and fruit booters the wrong way around. scooters are far worse. they drop in on people on purpose, so now when they do i dont stop, i aim right for them and brace for impact.