Skool me on dropper posts

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I did a search and found millions of posts on droppers but nothing really relevant.

I ride XC on a 29er Anthem so have never felt the need for a dropper post. But a couple of trips into the High Country with proper hills has me seeing their worth.

So I know what they are and roughly what they do, but tell me more. When exactly do you use it? Do you just drop it all the way down as soon as you reach a descent? Do you always drop them all the way down?
I know Moorey is a fan of lever operated but have others tried this? Can you use lever operated while riding? I like the idea of lever operated as I want to add moe controls on the bars and more cables.

Are you dropping it and still sitting on the seat or just giving yourself more room to get back and get low?

And no, I'm not buying a trance.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I ride mine at all heights. Maybe 2" drop on general trails, right down for pure descents....it's so quick to adjust, I raise and drop constantly, at various heights.
If you try a remote first, you'll never want a lever. If you hate more cables and shit on the bars, and start with lever, you'll most likely be happy to stay that way. It's like gear choice, look ahead
and prepare, drop before you need 2 hands on the bars, just like you wouldn't wait till the steep climb has started before you think about changing down gears.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I use mine a lot. Basically only have seat at full extension for climbs or Long flat sections.

Some droppers have preset drop amounts (Fox DOSS) but the majority are variable between full extension and complete drop.

I never used a lever actuated dropper, but I know I personally wouldnt like the fact that you need to go one handed into a decent while fluteing around with an underseat lever.

moorey

call me Mia
I use mine a lot. Basically only have seat at full extension for climbs or Long flat sections.

Some droppers have preset drop amounts (Fox DOSS) but the majority are variable between full extension and complete drop.

I never used a lever actuated dropper, but I know I personally wouldnt like the fact that you need to go one handed into a decent while fluteing around with an underseat lever.
Never tried...but you know. Ok.
As I said, you drop before you need it. Yeah, it's a compromise, but for me, the pros outweigh cons. :woot:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Never tried...but you know. Ok.
As I said, you drop before you need it. Yeah, it's a compromise, but for me, the pros outweigh cons. :woot:
It's a bit like Ebola, never had it but can't imagine it's much of a positive experience.

Plus, everyone to their own. I prefer to have everything within easy reach...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Pretty much covered. Up for flat and climbing, drop it to get COG lower on descents and drop completely so you can get your weight back without catching on the saddle on steep downhill sections. It's all about being able to move around on the bike without getting caught up. Well it is for me. Once you have one you won't want a conventional post again. I have had two reverbs and most recently a LEV. The reverbs are fine but both were early ones and needed regular bleeds. The LEV so far seems child proof. Shortened the cable tonight to tidy up the cockpit, very simple and no bleed needed. The only thing on the reverb that could be seen as better is you can change the rate of drop and lift. The LEV is fast both ways so if you aren't careful you will drop fully every time.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I did a search and found millions of posts on droppers but nothing really relevant.

I ride XC on a 29er Anthem so have never felt the need for a dropper post. But a couple of trips into the High Country with proper hills has me seeing their worth.

So I know what they are and roughly what they do, but tell me more. When exactly do you use it? Do you just drop it all the way down as soon as you reach a descent? Do you always drop them all the way down?
I know Moorey is a fan of lever operated but have others tried this? Can you use lever operated while riding? I like the idea of lever operated as I want to add moe controls on the bars and more cables.

Are you dropping it and still sitting on the seat or just giving yourself more room to get back and get low?

And no, I'm not buying a trance.
As an xc rider, I think remotes are worth it - I did have an under seat once and it was fine also .

For me, generally a 1" drop is what I use 90% of dropper use , and all the way down for really stupid steep stuff. That probably adds up to around 20% of a ride. I'm pretty used to full height seated position so just drop it a bit for trails where there is a little down - it gives more control and I find all the way down gets hard on your legs and if you stuff up and leave it down, then climbing is very hard indeed as you are scrambling for gears.

Most xc riders I ride with seem to use them the same way - ie a small drop often, but very rarely a full drop. This means that if it's 100mm or 150mm makes no difference to me.

Some people seem concerned about a cable that moves , but I've never even considered it a problem - stealth options, like internally routed cables are a pita for maintenace and make swapping it out for a race or whatever painful.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
One of the benefits of the dropper post is one not mentioned by many... but especially useful if you're no longer 25 and super nimble.
My younger riding mates are amused that I like to drop my seatpost to get on my bike... less height to swing the leg up and slightly more graceful. Once on and riding, I raise the post back up. Does tend to get a snigger from the young smartarses though.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
One of the benefits of the dropper post is one not mentioned by many... but especially useful if you're no longer 25 and super nimble.
My younger riding mates are amused that I like to drop my seatpost to get on my bike... less height to swing the leg up and slightly more graceful. Once on and riding, I raise the post back up. Does tend to get a snigger from the young smartarses though.
You should try stretching every day or so which would improve your flexibility and would also improve your riding.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a bit like Ebola, never had it but can't imagine it's much of a positive experience.

Plus, everyone to their own. I prefer to have everything within easy reach...
Yeah, sometimes you don't let a chance to find a good spot to take a hand off the bars. Most of our trails are rocky as hell, so the only time you can safely take a hand off is when you aren't moving.
I wouldn't use my dropper if I didn't have a remote. If you run 1x you just run it under the bar in place of front shifter. Don't even know it's there until you need it

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Even for an XC rider it's just about having a lot more fun on the bike.
Of course you don't NEED one just like you don't need suspension.....

Mine gets used in every height, still getting used to riding with it though.

Leave it down on the roof of the car too...

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Mine is a specialized dropper, 3 position: full height, about an inch drop, fully dropped.

Fully dropped for dh/steep/jump sections and when coming to a stop I drop it too. Had a few times at full height stumbling to get foot onto something solid so drop for better reach.

Inch drop for almost all trail riding

Full height for flat, fast sections and climbing.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, sometimes you don't let a chance to find a good spot to take a hand off the bars. Most of our trails are rocky as hell, so the only time you can safely take a hand off is when you aren't moving.
I wouldn't use my dropper if I didn't have a remote. If you run 1x you just run it under the bar in place of front shifter. Don't even know it's there until you need it
Have used a remote plenty...owned a reverb for 6 months, and used an old remote only KS 27.2 on my Bottlerocket...just saying it's not for me. Not saying they are for everyone either, or suggesting that PB get one. Also not saying I'll never use one. Stealth/integra would be my preference if I did (and frame would take it)

acads

Likes Dirt
I've just fitted a lever dropper to my anthem that I got really cheap to see if like it , so far I'm really impressed with it ( not the actual unit but the dropping of the post ).Went to Lysty yesterday and could hit annurism a lot quicker along with really getting into the berms with more confidence so I'm sold . The lever isn't for me however as I prefer a handle bar mount for the ability to not remove your hands in techy sections .

Once the KS lev carbons are released I'll take one in the 80-100mm drop .

Acads

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Even for an XC rider it's just about having a lot more fun on the bike.
Of course you don't NEED one just like you don't need suspension.....

Mine gets used in every height, still getting used to riding with it though.

Leave it down on the roof of the car too...
Just reminds me f another advantage - loading onto the ISI rear rack ! Getting 4 bikes on a rack is a PITA, but it's made heaps easier when at least 2 of the bikes have a dropper post - all I need now, is for people to stop putting 750mm wide bars on their farking bikes!

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have used a remote plenty...owned a reverb for 6 months, and used an old remote only KS 27.2 on my Bottlerocket...just saying it's not for me. Not saying they are for everyone either, or suggesting that PB get one. Also not saying I'll never use one. Stealth/integra would be my preference if I did (and frame would take it)
Yeah, that's cool. Wasn't saying it's the only way, just what I have found suits me