SloPro and cable cam test.

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
Nothing special, just a few test clips I put together trying to figure out good slo-mo setting for the GoPro plus some cable cam shots. Now I just need some sunny weekends and some time to do some proper filming. Thanks to Marty for all the hard work he has put in helping me test this.:thumb:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/356011/

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Awesome job with the slo mo shots. Good cam placement an angles
The cable cam stuff is pretty cool, just need to trim those pesky bits of foliage back so it doesn't bump it. The last few jump shots are fantastic but I can't help but imagine that if it could somehow be rigged to cross over the trail a little earlier so the rear wheel of the bikes during those whips would be spinning closer to the lens it would make for and epic shot... Depends on what you have to work with though and so far so good! I'm Stoked on it!

rmvvwls

Likes Bikes
Loving the slow-mo. A tip with wide-angle lenses, get closer than you think you need to be. A lot of the shots you entered the frame taking up only a tiny bit of it, and the action moment (the landing of a jump etc) you were still only taking up half the frame.
A good example is the shot at 1:07, it might've been easier to see the whip if the camera was another ~2m closer to the landing zone.
The cable cam shots are sweet, except where trees jumped in the way.

Quintin

Eats Squid
thats really sweet. love that big gap looks sick.

cable cam worked good too - how'd you set that up?

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
Looks great!
So what settings did you come up with?

Cheers
Muz

The setting that I have found to work well for this set up are the resolution at 960, 100 frames and wide lens. I'm pretty happy with it.

Loving the slow-mo. A tip with wide-angle lenses, get closer than you think you need to be. A lot of the shots you entered the frame taking up only a tiny bit of it, and the action moment (the landing of a jump etc) you were still only taking up half the frame.
A good example is the shot at 1:07, it might've been easier to see the whip if the camera was another ~2m closer to the landing zone.
The cable cam shots are sweet, except where trees jumped in the way.

It's hard to judge the distance when you have no screen to look at. I could look at it on the ipad app but it sucks to much battery. That's why we were testing it. A lot of the shots were self shot of a tripod. Some of the better ones we attached the camera to stick. Who needs expensive equipment when you can pick up a stick out of the bush. It's hard to get a long straight run through the trees without some thing getting in the way. We need to do a bit of pruning but we'll work that out when we do it properly.

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
image.jpgimage.jpgThis is my cable cam set up. Two pulleys I bought from bunnings for about $7 each. There is no bearing, they are just a wheel spinning on a pin but they spin fast. The pins are removable which makes it easy to mount it on the line. I bolted them to two pieces of alupanel stuck together to make stiffer. Then I use the Go Pro suction cup mount to hang it off the bottom at whatever angle I need. The cable is actually thin nylon rope that I "borrowed". All up it cost me about $20.

rmvvwls

Likes Bikes
It's hard to judge the distance when you have no screen to look at.
I figured. It always suprised me when using wide angle just how far away things look, and I'd often be too far away until I checked the viewfinder. It'll come with practice, and I look forward to the results.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Vid looks awesome. Are you just letting the cable cam fall using it's own weight?
Warrimoo is my fav. place name, ever!

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
Vid looks awesome. Are you just letting the cable cam fall using it's own weight?
Warrimoo is my fav. place name, ever!
Yep. The cable cam just uses it's own weight to move. It rolls pretty quick. I have to use an old towel wrapped around the end of the line to protect the trees and the rig itself. Without the towel slowing it down, it would be destroyed in a couple of runs. I have a small rig with smaller wheels but it moves to slow in fast sections and can't keep up. The bigger the wheels, the faster it goes.

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
Nice clip mate, nice riding and love a good budget zip line build!

Another tip is to turn your white balance to RAW and that will stop the overly saturated sky. You can play around in the GoPro software later to get your colours consistent.