Smoking, your views on smokers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhyno

Likes Dirt
I had to go to a jobsite with my boss today and so was talking to him on the way back and the topic got to smoking and smokers. Here is the outcome:

1. Smoking is a disgusting habit and is a real turn off.

2. The government and regulatory agencies aren't doing enough to stamp it out.

3. Smoking, even though it is a proven 'killer', is legal. Where as drug use is illegal. Where is the difference? Its not consistent. It could be argued that Heroin should be legalised because smoking is legal, when neither have any positive community outcome.

4. Should smoking be allowed with the clause that anyone admited to hospital with smoking related diseases should have to foot the entire bill with no gevernment support? (not including older people who didn't know it was bad for them when the started though)

I did a search but couldn't find this topic, so thought i'd throw it out there...what are your views?

DH_slave

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i hate smokers,
last weekend at the stromlo nat's i finished my race run, and after that track ya lungs get filled with dust, then there was a d*ck that was smoking right at the finish line and i was trying to get some air as i was puffed out and dust and smoke really makes you cough, the rest of the day i had that cough,
bloody smokers, its a terrible habit.:mad:

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The government loves smoking, do you know how much tax there is on a pack of durries!

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
4. Should smoking be allowed with the clause that anyone admited to hospital with smoking related diseases should have to foot the entire bill with no gevernment support? (not including older people who didn't know it was bad for them when the started though)
Agree completely with that, make em take out a personal loan and suffer from having to pay it back. Smoking is the dirtiest, most disgusting, waste of bluddy money habit alive.

bunya djer n dher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i also think smoker's are disguisting. especially kids that try and be cool and start smoking. also being a smoker wastes so much money, it costs you thousands of dollars each year :eek:

you could be spending it on bike stuff :p

kyleman

Likes Dirt
if kids under the age of 16 didnt smoke the cigarette companies would go out of business..we learnt that in health :D
Thats fucked up.
And so are smokers....and their lungs

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I don't think they should foot the bill for hospital,the cigarette companies should and the government who make some huge amount from it,more than hospital costs I'd guess.
If Heroin was legal a,d clean and managed there would be possibly no deaths from it,but that would never happen,greed would make sure of that.
I'm going to take up Heroin when I'm 70 if I make it that far,good for the joints and many other things at that age,great if you still have a wife around.

S.

ex offender
I don't smoke at all (dislike the taste/smell of smoke), I don't like the smell of other people's cigarettes, and I think it's one of those social try-hard things to imply coolness etc.

However, I support smoking - it keeps a lot of do-gooders focused on something I don't care about, instead of trying to ban shit I do like. On top of that, the people who cause me a few moments of annoyance in a pub end up with lung cancer, so as far as I'm concerned, it's just satisfying Steve's Theorem: annoy steve = lung cancer later on in life. Some of you n00bs might want to keep that theorem in mind.

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread reminds me, hahahhaha, riding home from work tonight I saw about 10 kids, all dressed up in punk shit, with 3 'ZOO YORK' vans belonging to them. They were smoking IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PETROL STATION. Fuck I laughed.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
If I was running the country, I would outlaw cigarettes just like any other drug.

It would be phased out slowly over a period of several years (maybe 5?).
Treatments for weaning addicted smokers off nicotine would be heavily subsidized by the government.
Eventually, it would be the same as pot. If someone is caught with a cigarette, the police can warn them to put it out or face charges, and dealers in cigarettes would be pursued like dealers in other illegal drugs.

Because, really, who would suffer if this happened?
The smokers, being weaned off the addictive and harmful substance would feel better and not be wasting their money on cigarettes.
The farmers who grew tobacco... well, boo hoo. Time to grow something else.
The government? Think of how much money would be saved by not having to spend on all the costs of cigarettes... the lung cancer, the pollution, etc....

The ones who would suffer the most are the tobacco companies.

I can't believe it isn't illegal. But hey... I guess that's what kick-backs are for, eh?

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hate smoking. My old man is a smoker and so is my older brother.
1. It's a bad way to die, slowly.
2. It's a waste of money.
3. It affects not only the smoker, but also the people around them.
4. The positive affects it has on the body ( the feel good sort of thing, not that it has any benifits) aren't even good IMO.

I think that smoking should be stamped out completely. I don't know how this would happen or when it would happen, but i think it should happen. Governments are slack about stopping people from smoking in public places and smoking in general because they no doubt have a hand in the selling of the cigarettes and the profits it makes.

And the other thing is. Do smoker feel rude or any shame in smoking around others? I know I would.

rhyno

Likes Dirt
Ok, heres a scenario for ya:

You see a smokin' (no pun intended) hot chick in a club (the the street, wherever) and your like DUUUUDE! But then she lights up a fag.
Do you still 'persue' her?

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread reminds me, hahahhaha, riding home from work tonight I saw about 10 kids, all dressed up in punk shit, with 3 'ZOO YORK' vans belonging to them. They were smoking IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PETROL STATION. Fuck I laughed.
those guys are pro for zoo york and on tour, hence the vans. as for smoking in a petrol station, thats not smart

demo9pro

Likes Dirt

You see a smokin' (no pun intended) hot chick in a club (the the street, wherever) and your like DUUUUDE! But then she lights up a fag.
Yes, that means we can have a durrri together!!! lol

Binaural

Eats Squid

Not unless I was desperate (not to say that rules out many nights) ;)

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt

F*%k oath man. Hopefully she's a bit drunk and lights one up for the sake of it.

ozelise

Likes Dirt
1. Agree

2. Tobacco excise

3. See 2.

4. Disagree. Tobacco is a drug of addiction. Spend some time with me on a typical day and witness how utterly despondent patients with end stage emphysema and terminal lung cancer are. Most have stopped smoking, or want to stop but can't for a myriad of reasons. Most are pensioners with no health insurance. I disagree with the growing opinion amongst health professionals that prioritise therapy away from smokers. Typical of this is the advertisement that goes "Doctor I can't stop smoking"......."Well I can't operate". Whilst it is true that smokers have higher risks of post operative pneumonia and other morbidity, to deny treatment ignores several important issues. These include it is a drug of addiction, the proportion of guilt that tobacco companies must take (see "Thank you for Smoking"), but most importantly for me - the issue of compassion for a fellow human.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace

Have you ever french-kissed a smoker?

I have. Regretted it. It's pretty gross. It's like you're tonguing an ashtray.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.