Snakes Yarra Crit Circuit

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you're riding solo like I was and get bit, what then? Stay in bush and quickly get mobile out OR wrap and keep moving slowly for help? Or keep riding and don't let a snake spoil your ride - after all it's just 2 small holes wtf.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you're riding solo like I was and get bit, what then? Stay in bush and quickly get mobile out OR wrap and keep moving slowly for help? Or keep riding and don't let a snake spoil your ride - after all it's just 2 small holes wtf.
Probably depends on what sort of snake.

If it's a bad one and you don't have a compression bandage and a mobile with coverage, good chance that ride will be your last.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw the worst sort of snake there yesterday - a trouser snake !

Just south of Banksia st Bridge I got asked if I was looking for fun, replied "having enough thanks " and got out as fast as possible. Nice bloke with a lovely comb-over and safari suit, now I know why I don't ride during the day!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a trouser snake
and just as deadly as well, seem to be out around 5.30 with their cold blooded cousins, the trouser snake only has one eye so tends to try and bite at anything!

al_

Likes Dirt
Saw the worst sort of snake there yesterday - a trouser snake !

Just south of Banksia st Bridge I got asked if I was looking for fun, replied "having enough thanks " and got out as fast as possible. Nice bloke with a lovely comb-over and safari suit, now I know why I don't ride during the day!
Ha... i think i would rather be bitten by a tiger snake. A visit to emergency has to be better than permanant scarring

I realise the risks too - given that i've come off five times recently, i think there are more pressing dangers... like tress that jump out, or my lack of technical ability. Stand by for a post where i have run into a kangaroo though.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Ivanhoe has the greatest concentration and diversity of venomous snakes, about 6 potentially lethal snakes, mainly they are Tigers and heading out to Westerfolds you also get Browns. (herpitology not man on man)

A mate was bitten about 2 years ago after he stacked just before Rosanna golf course there in the singletrack next to the river heading out to Westerfold's. Anyway one mate called the ambo's whilst the other applied the compression bandage. He spent a few days in hospital with adrenalin in one arm and anti venene in the other, the adrenalin was just in case his heart stopped. He is a really strong and fit rider so to hear his account of how it knocked him around was scary.

The snakes have been travelling further away from the river in search of food due to the dry weather over the last 5 years so do expect to see them in dryer dustier areas too.

They'll always be there and so will we so just ride. If you get a gut feel about a section on any given day that is about as good as a warning can be, otherwise you really can't do anything to avoid them. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they aren't there, if we could see every snake really out there, we'd never ride in those areas.

Stay :cool:

joe79

Likes Dirt
yeah it's stacking and landing on a snake that really scares me. I've come off a few times and gone flying into those bushes in ivanhoe, where i'm certain there were snakes around.
I wish more riders would yell out on a couple of those blind corners, there's one spot just past burke rd and the dip near banksia st where there's been so many collisions/near misses.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
If you've got mobile coverage, apply a compression bandage, stay still and call for help. If you don't have a compression bandage, sacrifice your jersey or whatever. In a pinch I'd use the staps off my hydration pack (not ideal as it should be broader).
Despite having a Blue Tick (Rural use approved) Next G phone, there are plenty of holes in the coverage out here and probably where you are too, so you need to think about what you are going to do should you find yourself with no comms.
My plan is to first assess the likelyhood of someone coming along and finding me. If it's high I'll sit tight, if it's low or nonexistant I'll use as little physical effort as possible and make my way to the nearest road/point of mobile coverage.
Saying a prayer to Buddah, Zeus, God or Satan probably wouldn't hurt either.
I think there are greater dangers in the bush than snakebite, but it's worth being aware of the dangers and having a plan.
For my next decent back country trip I will be investigating the hire or purchase of an EPIRB. When I looked at them a few years ago they were the size and weight of a half brick.
My other advice is, quoting the Butthole Surfers, "It's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't."
If it's all too scary, ride only in a group or buy a Play Station/X-Box/Wii.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got to laugh, been following this thread for a while thinking that while I've seen a few around, I think it's been less than in past years then......

Tbay and I were out yesterday for a ride to Westerfolds and back and did the loop counter clockwise. All good, and came out at the fence line near the river and there was a huge snake just past the fence in the grass on the left about 2 foot off the track. I don't know enough about these things but it was black (so I'll go crazy and say it was a black snake) and easily the largest snake I've ever seen. Head almost the size of a fist, length? Don't know, was going too fast (thank god) but Tbay was behind me so I'm sure he got a better look :p

There you have it, just because you're out of the woods doesn't mean you're out of the woods.

al_

Likes Dirt
Ha... what time were you out? Which loop is this too? Is it the one opposite the paddock with the horses a few kms from banksia street?

I think my biggest fear around there is having a head on in the narrow bits.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha... what time were you out? Which loop is this too? Is it the one opposite the paddock with the horses a few kms from banksia street?.
It's the loop around Kew almost halfway between Bourke and Banksia Street.

I think my biggest fear around there is having a head on in the narrow bits.
LOL! We rode from 9:30 through to about 1. We saw quite a few riders out past Banksia St and near the Rosana golf course area. We need more riding the loop to scare those snakes off before we get there!

al_

Likes Dirt
The only time i have seen snakes is during the hot part of the day. I would be interested if anyone has come across any later on - after 7 or 8. I don't really mind them that much, but people i want to ride with do. My gf saw one while walking around clifton hill near the yarra trail a few weeks ago and totally freaked out. I don't want that happening on a bike... i don't think i would get her back out there either.

That is the bit i was thinking about too. There are some good tracks around there - i know most of them between eltham and chandler highway, but haven't explored further. Is there anything interesting between chandler and the city?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
reckon the 'loop' is the most vulnerable place for snakes as track is tight ... you hammer around like a luge bobsled railing corners, always hard to stop quickly or bunny hop snake especially with tight corners so no real visual up ahead.

I do loop in a clockwise direction - we should at least all go one way to avoid a collision, although snakes might work it out and ambush us.

al_

Likes Dirt
It has always been quiet when i've been down there, but i'm wary of oncoming traffic. It is so easy to tune out and just get lost in your own world - especially in the tight/dark sections... particularly if listening to music. I make sure i can still hear, but it would be really embarrassing to get tangled up

It seems like a slightly unnecessary precaution based on my experiences, but if others think it is a good idea i'm happy to go with the flow. I probably don't go as hard as others either, although i discovered that the green creeper is quite forgiving if you land on bits without fallen trees hiding in it...

Last edited:

joe79

Likes Dirt
yeah i ride the loop clockwise, never had a collision in there though. I find that although the track is tight, the corners are pretty open with decent visability, so you've at least got time to come to a quick stop rather than collide with another rider. The track on either side of the loop though can be a bit tougher

al_

Likes Dirt
yeah i ride the loop clockwise, never had a collision in there though. I find that although the track is tight, the corners are pretty open with decent visability, so you've at least got time to come to a quick stop rather than collide with another rider. The track on either side of the loop though can be a bit tougher
I agree. The bit between that loop and the banksia street carpark is quite tight with some bits where i wouldn't want to be surprised by oncoming traffic.

I just try to make lots of noise and hope it will scare snakes/bikers away. It is pretty freaky around there at dusk... it would be a relief to come across other mtb'ers. There are some odd people in parks at night...