snapped axle?!

Hugle

Likes Dirt
Well, my bike has had all sorts of nasty noises coming form the front end for about a week now, so i took the front wheel off today and one of the sides of the hub fell straight off.

After further 'investigation' i discovered that the axel has snapped towards one side. It's a formula hub originally off this http://archive.giant-bicycles.com/a...000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2006&model=10004 bike.

So will it be easiest to just buy a new wheel set?
Or should I try to find a replacement wheel?
It is being run on a rigid street bike, and unfortunately im currently in debt to my parents, and sort of running out of favors :p so the cheepest option is best.
Thanks heaps farkers,
Hugh

Last edited:

chuckies_here

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Answered my own question, Umm might want to look into getinng a cheep QR replacment wheel, or take it to your Lbs and see what they would say.

demo9pro

Likes Dirt
$12-$20 for all the parts needed to rebiuld QR hub internals + Axle.

$15-20 labour if you dont know what to do.

lebronmtb

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah it should be no more than 30 bucks to put a new axel in, though seeing as you broke the last one maybe you should invest in a stronger one

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've snapped dozens of axles now and all i can say is that the sooner you replace your hub, the cheaper it will be. I found that the main problem was the shitty stock 10/9 mm hubs with shithouse bearings!
I used to buy the nice cromo replacement axles and all and they would still snap! And being on a rigid bike doesnt really help either.
My solution was to use a nice sealed BMX 10 mm hub, because i didnt want to go the 20 mm way.

For you, for now: buy a replacement axle and rebuild your hub (quite easy and cheap if its a one off) and look into buying a new hub/wheel.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A replacement 10mm axle ranges from around $10 for an alright one up to about $25 for a decent one. Ask for some bearings while your at it. Try and do it all yourself but as it is very easy and can save you $15-$20 on labour. As long as you know how to do cones properly you should be sweet!

Hugle

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the help guys, itll take a trip down to the lbs tomorow. Is it likely that they will have an axle in stock?