Snowboard help/advice

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
Hey people

Was wondering if i could get some advice on buying a snowboard set up which im probably looking to do sometime fairly soon.
I have a set of bindings and the area where i dont really know shit all is about the board, although i think i would like to be looking at something in between a park board and a backcountry board... ie not too heavy, but able to ride powder reasonably well.
Does such a board exist?
Also, what board dimensions should i be looking at?...i'm around 195cm and usually rock size 10 boots...

Prolly looking at spending around $500 on a board... gotta keep cash for a new hardtail this year as well.

Any recommendations on brands/models plus personal experiences would be awesome.

Also, what websites, either australian or international are generally good value for buying snowboard kit?

Cheers
wazza ;)

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Get a reverse camber board if you want one that's good in both the park and powder but no board is going to be great at park and backcountry, backcountry needs stiffness while park needs flex.

I'd recommend either the Sierra Reverse Crew (available only on their site) or the Burton Custom V-Rocker. More so the Crew. You may need to buy a "wide" board though not too sure, due to foot size.

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/

www.dogfunk.com

Best websites, both in America.

Burton Custom V-Rocker: http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/Burton-Custom-V-Rocker-Snowboards.asp

Sierra Reverse Crew: http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/Sierra-Reverse-Crew-Snowboards.asp

Sierra is a great resource for buying, it has reviews on heaps of boards, bindings and everything else.

Last edited:

Bud Weiser

Likes Dirt
hey buddy,

hate to be the bearer of bad news but $500 aint going to get you much in the way of a good board that will allow you to shred the whole mountain and progress.

i would stay away from BURTON.. its chinese made shit!!

go anything made in north america.. better quality

the way i would go would be to go hunting for last season boards in shops that they are selling cheap.

first port of call should be Melbourne Snowboard center (thats if you are in melbourne)

www.melbournesnowboardcentre.com.au

they are the BEST store in melbourne and will always give you the best service and price!!

and i hate to rant but please do not buy online.. support australian snowboarding buy shopping at australian stores

be care full about buying second hand.. boards crack and it is very easy to superficcially cover them with a few little tricks.

i would recommend anything made by LIB TECH or GNU, they are amazing fun to ride and can be taken from the park to powder stashes without any change!!

i would also recommend Banana and rocker boards, they are great for progression and amazingly forgiving when it comes to stomping big moves!

depending on your weight but min 155cm, max 160ishcm in length if you were to go a board with rocker... i like short boards because the number of deep powder days you get doesn't make it worthwhile to have a big board and having a shorter boards makes tighter trees easier and in the park allows for easy rotation.

do your research and visit your local store!!

best of luck and any questions just ask.

finally
GO SHRED!!