So...say a pair of 888RT's came up for sale...

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
sxereturn said:
From what I understand, the only difference between the R and the RT is the RT has no external adjustment.
ok.... so i was wrong !! i thought they were a bit on the dodgy side of things..... o well

well if they are as good as there hyped up to be i think you could probably get a bit over 1k !!

bazza

look at me
but just look how sexy they are!!! i wouldnt think it would be the external adjustment which would be the 'only' difference between them. there has gotta be more to.

S.

ex offender
bazza said:
but just look how sexy they are!!! i wouldnt think it would be the external adjustment which would be the 'only' difference between them. there has gotta be more to.
Not necessarily, most manufacturers make OEM only models that are identical bar a couple of adjustments... eg the Psylo C.

I like the idea of the 888 chassis tho... 35mm staunchions (little bigger than a Boxxer, smaller than a Monster), 20mm dedicated axle, adjustable lower crowns (unlike the 03 Super/Jr T), etc... and as long as the bushings/seals are up to scratch (which is to be expected from Marz) it should be real nice IMO.

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was a post on Ridemonkey about this a while back. The difference b/w the two is the 888RT has SSVF valving and the 888R has the moto type HSCV vlaves.

S.

ex offender
Dirt Devil said:
There was a post on Ridemonkey about this a while back. The difference b/w the two is the 888RT has SSVF valving and the 888R has the moto type HSCV vlaves.
Ya but they couldn't quote any source for that. That was a rumour, but nobody ever said where it came from. Besides that, I honestly doubt that even a "lower model" 888 would have SSVF valving in it... maybe in the rebound cart (where it makes no difference anyway) but not for compression.

udi

swiss cheese
Socket your incorrect. for once. Check the OEM fork specs at the marzocchi website.

The 888RT has dual SSVF, while the 888R has dual HSCV. That means the RT has SSVF in BOTH sides.

Think of the 888RT as a pimped out 200mm Jr.T guys, because that's all it is. I think $1000 is a fair price, a little more even, would be okay.

udi

swiss cheese
And also - the 04 Jr/super both have adjustable lower crowns, unlike the 03's, socket.

And finally, just so all is cleared, there is an 888RR model that fits snugly between the lowend RT and highend R. This has ssv one side, and hscv the other. It's another oem, and I think it'd be a pretty nice fork. I haven't seen it spec'd on too many bikes though.

For adjustments
888R = Compression (external), Rebound (cartridge), preload (internal) [alloy steerer]
888RR = Rebound (cartridge), preload (internal). [steel steerer]
888RT = none. [steel steerer]

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
Dirt Devil said:
Ya but they couldn't quote any source for that. That was a rumour, but nobody ever said where it came from. Besides that, I honestly doubt that even a "lower model" 888 would have SSVF valving in it... maybe in the rebound cart (where it makes no difference anyway) but not for compression.
The source on Ride Monkey for that was Brian Peterrson (sp?) hes the Marzocchi representative there.

From the Bomber 04 manual from the Marzocchi web site

F/A stands for Compression
F/R for rebound

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
forgot to add that what ever the damping system in the 888RT is it feels very nice smooth and plush, definately puts my boxxer Race to shame, and beats JnrTs hands down, id even say i liked it better then 03 Boxxer Team

S.

ex offender
I stand corrected RaID/udi. RaID, I hadn't seen anything posted by Brian, just what other people were bandying round. Thanks for the info, and apologies for my misinformation.

S.

ex offender
uDi said:
And also - the 04 Jr/super both have adjustable lower crowns, unlike the 03's, socket.
Do they now... interesting. Marz must have had a fair bit of negative feedback to turn around again...

udi

swiss cheese
I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but I don't think i'd let that go for 1000, if it was mine. If it feels nicer and plusher than a JrT, has an inch more travel, and has the same externals as the regular 888 (which i've heard is real stiff), as well as the 20mm thru-ax/sexual dropouts and the like.... I'd be wanting a little more than what a Junior costs.

Even a junior costs a little more than 1000 doesn't it?

jungle

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Just curious,

if you are going to sell your 888rt's from the A-Line
what forks are you going to get to replace them
as the 888's are supposed to be one of the best out there
at the moment

cheers

jungle

Likes Bikes and Dirt

the 2004 norco team dh is speced with 888r's
the 2004 norco a-line is speced with 888rt's