solar power install pros/cons

si618

Likes Dirt
I'm not concerned about selling back to grid.i think that is a load of shit.
That's one way of looking at it. Another is the feed-in tariff changed the return on investment for our PV system from 10 years to ~3-4 years.

But,yeah I want to do this properly the first time round so was even contemplating going like 8kwh but the coin is huge....close to 9grand. wow!
Good quality 8-10kw systems were ~$15,000 when we got our 1.5kw system 3 years ago, as the industry inflated prices because the feed-in tariffs were so good and demand was high.

We paid $3,000 for our Sharp panels and inverter, the numbers show we use on average ~6.7kw/h per day and generate ~6.0kw/h per day from our PV system, so a 2kw system would've been ideal, but thanks to the tariff, we import ~$50 and export ~$66 per month, so within a year or so ours would've paid for itself. As that spreadsheet shows, even without the feed-in tariff, solar would still be worth it for us in the long run, and we're more energy conscious as a result, which is a win in my books.

Callum, Dales and Bryce are on the money. Do your research, do an energy audit and get quality gear installed by a reputable company. You hear lots of stories about people like Dozer who are unhappy or think going solar is a waste of time and money, but no offence to Dozer, they may have just listened to salespeople or followed a trend, rather than doing their own research before jumping in.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few things....

3. Ensure your installer is using half decent brands - the quality difference in solar panels/inverters is huge and makes a significant difference to power output! Sometimes its worth paying that little bit extra so you know your'e getting the good stuff.
Not so much in the panels, but deffinatley worth upgrading the inverter from the shitty chinese one to a german made one. We have been installing a lot of the SMA inverters latley which are pretty much the best you can get. The jump in price for the pannels isnt really worth the extra coin you need to fork out for them.