ACT Sold

Buntley

Likes Dirt
Hi Jakob,

The link was pointing him to a search on all Nomads in the sold section. In other words have a look/work it out for yourself.

I've got a hi spec 2007 I paid $2k for a year ago. A mate bought a 2010 with a similar spec to yours for $2400. I think we both paid $200-300 too much.....cause they are 26".

Hope that helps, its a bitch cause yours is really nice rig with great bits. Fucking 27.5, for Christ sake its a 1 1/2 inches!!

GLWS

Last edited:

poiter

Likes Bikes
Glws

At the end of the day, it's got very little to do with 26" wheels, or otherwise. The sad fact is (and it is sad), new bikes depreciate in value more so then just about anything you could purchase fresh off the showroom floor. Not only that...marketing drives people's expectations of what is, and is not relevant this season compared to last. Carbon frames and wheels, & 27" wheel sets are a classic example. Was the 'old' stuff no good? Of course not. Is the new stuff better? Arguably not. Take into account that a large portion of our sport appeals to, and is practiced by, a demographic with high disposable income (18-35's) and you've got a classic supply/demand situation. This being...there is a large supply of second hand bikes/frames and kit,and a small demand for this gear. How many for sale ads list 'reason for selling' as new bike a year or two after the rig for sale was purchased?

It's also well known that the best dollar-spent-for-dollar-returned when buying a bike exists when you buy a complete bike off the shelf. The most obvious example here is Giant. The quantity of scale they work within allows them to smash the competition for kitting out their rigs. Buy a Giant frame, and fit EXACTLY the same bits and pieces....you pay 120-150% on the 'off the shelf' pushy. Build up a rig with your dream spec, customised to the ball sack. You end up spending 9k on a bike that ain't a whole lot better then the 'off the shelf' rig for 6k. The benefit of having exactly the gear you want, for whatever reason, costs dis-proportionately more then the benefit you receive. I'm being REALLY general here, but that applies GENERALLY to most things. Is the Carbon bar you spent $200 on twice as good as the high end allot bat for $100? Of course it's fucking not. Marketing dude. Everyone loves shiny, top end, 'new' technology shit. People like seeing a second hand bike for sale with carbon bars and Chris King hubs. Do they wanna pay a heap more for them then good alloy bars and Hope Pro II's....generally not.

At the end of the day, and this is just my opinion, it's quite simple. You've got pretty good gear on a bike that is approaching 4 years old. I can walk into a bike shop a buy a brand spanking virgin rig for not much more then you want for yours with not much less of a spec. Have a look at the other 2012 SC Nomad a few listings down from yours.....it's asking less then $2000. (Taking small crack in frame into account.)

You need to ask less for your bike dude....it's been up here for quite a while now....take the loss on parts and frame due to the shitty depreciation we all have to cope with....and it'll sell.

GLWS.

Buntley

Likes Dirt
At the end of the day, it's got very little to do with 26" wheels, or otherwise. The sad fact is (and it is sad), new bikes depreciate in value more so then just about anything you could purchase fresh off the showroom floor. Not only that...marketing drives people's expectations of what is, and is not relevant this season compared to last. Carbon frames and wheels, & 27" wheel sets are a classic example. Was the 'old' stuff no good? Of course not. Is the new stuff better? Arguably not. Take into account that a large portion of our sport appeals to, and is practiced by, a demographic with high disposable income (18-35's) and you've got a classic supply/demand situation. This being...there is a large supply of second hand bikes/frames and kit,and a small demand for this gear. How many for sale ads list 'reason for selling' as new bike a year or two after the rig for sale was purchased?

It's also well known that the best dollar-spent-for-dollar-returned when buying a bike exists when you buy a complete bike off the shelf. The most obvious example here is Giant. The quantity of scale they work within allows them to smash the competition for kitting out their rigs. Buy a Giant frame, and fit EXACTLY the same bits and pieces....you pay 120-150% on the 'off the shelf' pushy. Build up a rig with your dream spec, customised to the ball sack. You end up spending 9k on a bike that ain't a whole lot better then the 'off the shelf' rig for 6k. The benefit of having exactly the gear you want, for whatever reason, costs dis-proportionately more then the benefit you receive. I'm being REALLY general here, but that applies GENERALLY to most things. Is the Carbon bar you spent $200 on twice as good as the high end allot bat for $100? Of course it's fucking not. Marketing dude. Everyone loves shiny, top end, 'new' technology shit. People like seeing a second hand bike for sale with carbon bars and Chris King hubs. Do they wanna pay a heap more for them then good alloy bars and Hope Pro II's....generally not.

At the end of the day, and this is just my opinion, it's quite simple. You've got pretty good gear on a bike that is approaching 4 years old. I can walk into a bike shop a buy a brand spanking virgin rig for not much more then you want for yours with not much less of a spec. Have a look at the other 2012 SC Nomad a few listings down from yours.....it's asking less then $2000. (Taking small crack in frame into account.)

You need to ask less for your bike dude....it's been up here for quite a while now....take the loss on parts and frame due to the shitty depreciation we all have to cope with....and it'll sell.

GLWS.
You brute! Have you no compassion?. That's sort of what I was saying, but with a little tenderness.
And cmon man, as much as I see your point and mostly agree, 27.5 dropped the arse out of second hand 26", bikes imho.

Are you Ok Jakob?

poiter

Likes Bikes
Money to burn

Look, you're dead right. The NEED to have 27's has convinced the market that the wheels we've been rollin' all these years are actually square. However, like a lot of tried and tested theories, there are those (probably us older, more cynical blokes) that swear by 26'ers, and wouldn't find the need to move to the 650B size. There are heaps on this forum. One of those will see the bike, and snap it up. As long as the price is right of course.

Buntley

Likes Dirt
Look, you're dead right. The NEED to have 27's has convinced the market that the wheels we've been rollin' all these years are actually square. However, like a lot of tried and tested theories, there are those (probably us older, more cynical blokes) that swear by 26'ers, and wouldn't find the need to move to the 650B size. There are heaps on this forum. One of those will see the bike, and snap it up. As long as the price is right of course.
agreed, great bike! I love mine.

jakob

Likes Dirt
Hi Jakob,

The link was pointing him to a search on all Nomads in the sold section. In other words have a look/work it out for yourself.

I've got a hi spec 2007 I paid $2k for a year ago. A mate bought a 2010 with a similar spec to yours for $2400. I think we both paid $200-300 too much.....cause they are 26".

Hope that helps, its a bitch cause yours is really nice rig with great bits. Fucking 27.5, for Christ sake its a 1 1/2 inches!!

GLWS
Fair enough, it wasn't very clear what the link was about. However, I did perform a quick search on previous Nomad sales and there have been comparable specs that have sold at a lower price, so I get where you are coming from.

Cheers.

jakob

Likes Dirt
You brute! Have you no compassion?. That's sort of what I was saying, but with a little tenderness.
And cmon man, as much as I see your point and mostly agree, 27.5 dropped the arse out of second hand 26", bikes imho.

Are you Ok Jakob?
HAHA... Yeah I'm all good :D

I think you are both correct, it is a combination of both price drop in the 26" bike market and the need to have shiny new bike. Generally it is better to sell a bike in the first year or so (which I should have done in hindsight). Another mistake I made is that I should have had a demo ride on the Large and XL Nomad prior to buying (that's the risk of building up a frame without trying it first!!).

Thanks for your comments/ feedback.

FYI - I have already split the bike and sold the forks, wheels, etc, so only frame+shock is for sale.

poiter

Likes Bikes
FYI - I have already split the bike and sold the forks, wheels, etc, so only frame+shock is for sale.
Well, that's sweet mate. At least you're getting coin for your rig. It's funny. I've seen heaps of bikes as complete up here for sale over the years....they don't sell and get split up.....and often the seller makes more this way then trying to sell the bike as a complete rig. Good luck with off loading the rest.

jakob

Likes Dirt
Well, that's sweet mate. At least you're getting coin for your rig. It's funny. I've seen heaps of bikes as complete up here for sale over the years....they don't sell and get split up.....and often the seller makes more this way then trying to sell the bike as a complete rig. Good luck with off loading the rest.
ikr. Unfortunately that's the way it goes a lot of the time. Cheers mate.

Buntley

Likes Dirt
HAHA... Yeah I'm all good :D

I think you are both correct, it is a combination of both price drop in the 26" bike market and the need to have shiny new bike. Generally it is better to sell a bike in the first year or so (which I should have done in hindsight). Another mistake I made is that I should have had a demo ride on the Large and XL Nomad prior to buying (that's the risk of building up a frame without trying it first!!).

Thanks for your comments/ feedback.

That's good news Mate!