Someone help before I throw my laptop out the window. (audio issues, win 7)

Matt H

Eats Squid
So, I recently tried to install halo 2 on my machine, but it wouldn't play so I spent about 3 hours talking to windows tech support mumbai, to no avail. He's going to call me back tomorrow after he "researches" the problem.

HOWEVER, after he used his witchcraft on my computer from afar, my audio won't work properly. If I try and play something in winamp, it simply won't play. If I try and test the audio in the audio config, I get a "Failed to play test tone" error message. The thing is though, I have some buttons on my computer to increase/decrease sound levels etc. and when I press these, the beeping noise they make can be heard through the speakers.

Little help?

Matt H

Eats Squid
He was remotely controlling my computer with some microsoft support program, and romping around my registry folders and stuff.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Ahhh, so you dont actually know what he did... regisrty..... thats as far as I go!

Im guessing you've looked through the CP/audio config?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Have you simply rebooted your computer yet? fixes 90% of issues.

The other thing you need to do is see if there is a problem with the sound card:
Start Orb>Type in the search feild "Device Manage" and hit "enter".
Is there a Yellow exclamation mark where the "Sound, video and game controllers" device is?
If so, reinstall the sound drivers. If not, double click on the device and select the drivers tab. Is the sound driver "Disabled", if so, enable it. If not, check in the control panel under "Hardware and Sound and check to make sure it's not muted etc.

Hope this helps.

Hux

Matt H

Eats Squid
You all lose, not long after I started this thread, a more computer competent friend of mine told me to just to a system restore to a couple of days ago and then run halo 2 in a vista virtual box. I was so stoked I went out for a ride.

Thanks anyway guys.