sony vegas 6

MikeT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey, im new to vegas,

Heres my situation. I import a video file (.avi) i wanna cut up a few clips out of it and put them in a bin, i dont know what im doing wrong but they wont go in the bin. i may not be trimming properly i can cut a clip in the trimmer window and put it in the time line, but i cant seem to then get that clip into the bin i created.

Also when capturing, or even after capturing. If u have a large file with numerous different scenes is there a tool that will just split every scene up like in video studio.

Can anyone help?

cheers mike.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
If u have a large file with numerous different scenes is there a tool that will just split every scene up like in video studio.
Mike, click on the part where you want to cut the clip, make sure that clip is selected, and go Edit>Split. thatll divide the clip up where the line is.

MikeT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ahh yeh i know how to do that, but in video studio you can just say split scene by scene, and it splits every individual scene you've filmed and puts them in the library.

I dont really mind having to split each clip up its just its time consuming. The main thing i wanna know is how trim video in the timmer window and put them in bins.

demo man

Used to be cool.
when i'm splitting clips i just select the clip (by clicking on it), finding the point where i want to split it with the view bar, and hittin 'S' on the keyboard. easy.

as for this 'bin' thing, i don't know what you're on about. what sort of bin are you talking about? a rubbish bin? if so click delete. if it's like a folder for files then you may need to render the new shortned clip again to save it as a .avi/.wmv etc. file. i don't know what a bin is though, nor do i ever bother to use the trimmer. and when i say bother, i mena i don't know how to. something for the future.

and for the capturing bit;
when you go into file/capture as you should get a screen that gives you the option to use an 'internal video capture application' - or - 'external video capture application'. i always use the external option. it is actually a capture software included with Vegas, it's just in a new screen. i use that and it always manages to split up the clips, and i get up to 500 clips in a one hour tape, it doesn't miss a single one.
also, if you use the 'capture tape' option rather than 'capture film' it runs automatically from the start and runs til lthe end, capturing the whole lot.

hope some of that was helpful mate.

MikeT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cheers olly and demo man, that capturing advice helped heaps. By bin i mean just the folder so i can store clips they wont copy over from the trimmer or even the time line. I've got a feeling than you can only get clips in there by opening them in there.

Cheers anyway, hopefully thats all i need.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
ahh sorry, misread your quuestion!

actually, what you specifically need to select (what demo man is on to) is "enable DV scene detection" I'm using 4, so its a bit different, but shudd be somewhere in the options. Scene detection automatically "detects" each different clip on the tape, and splits em up

MikeT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cheers once again, cant wait to get my camera back tomorrow broke about a month after i got it and panasonic reckon its fine. Crackheads.

projectsplat

The film guy
demo man said:
as for this 'bin' thing, i don't know what you're on about. what sort of bin are you talking about? a rubbish bin?

eh bloke,

a 'bin' is a film term. it comes from the old days when film editors used to cut film, and the off cuts of film would sit be put into cloth bins for storage.

in non-linear editing systems, a bin refers to a folder where you can store clips. bins are useful in helping you to separate your footage into different categories.

cheers

al

projectsplat

The film guy
MikeT said:
cheers olly and demo man, that capturing advice helped heaps. By bin i mean just the folder so i can store clips they wont copy over from the trimmer or even the time line. I've got a feeling than you can only get clips in there by opening them in there.

Cheers anyway, hopefully thats all i need.
another good resource for Sony Vegas is
http://creativecalf.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_view_posts.cgi?forumid=24

The forum is populated by industry experts, and people are pretty friendly.

Cheers

Al