South America DH/XC

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
A friend and myself are looking at going to europe next year and were looking at doing a stop over in south america to check out inca trails and most importantly the "death road" which is run by gravity. Just wondering if anyone has done this and where they would recommend to fly in/out of cheaper i better of course. We are looking at 3-4 weeks there and if there are any cool things you would suggest.

Cheers

BKMad

Likes Dirt
A friend and myself are looking at going to europe next year and were looking at doing a stop over in south america to check out inca trails and most importantly the "death road" which is run by gravity. Just wondering if anyone has done this and where they would recommend to fly in/out of cheaper i better of course. We are looking at 3-4 weeks there and if there are any cool things you would suggest.

Cheers
I wouldn't bother with the death road. Sure its a dangerous road, but it isn't mountain biking. These guys do some proper mountain bike tours which would be much more fun; http://www.gravitybolivia.com/index.php?mod=homeb

If you're in Cusco to do the inca trail, then you can catch a bus across to La Paz from there. You can do a stopover at Lake Titicaca on the way to break up the bus trip. I'd recommend having a full week at altitude before doing any proper exercise. Do the inca trail first and then you'll be fine for mountain biking after that.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can’t remember who I used in 2011, could have been gravity. Either way the bikes were pretty fcked and they were the best I could find looking around in La Paz. There were 2 ways that were offered. At the stop where the buses stop off, you either coasted down the new main road for a bit ~15-20km or something with all the other rooks, or you jump off the side of the highway and head down the valley for 20 odd km of near pedal free cruising, downhill but not DH. Was pretty fun, flying through villages dodging animals and getting chased by dogs. Then you meet up with the other riders, from memory it’s kind of sh1t for a while so you bus to another area where it joins up with the old death rd. Some bike tours everybody just rides the whole way, I can’t remember exactly how things worked, but I was happy to be in the bus. What else, hmm, avoid the main square if you hear automatic gun fire, and turned out Route36 was a street away from the hostel.

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
Cheers for the info guys, ill definitely look into something. Looks like i night do a contiki and hit up gravity in bolivia for a bit of a bike week

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

nzdans

Likes Dirt
I did the death road (Coroico) in '03, my mate Zane was a guide with Gravity who were way ahead of their competition in pretty much every way at the time. I saw plenty of pics from Gravity's xc/am style tours which looked well worth the trip, was with gf & had limited time hence doing the standard trip. It was pretty awesome although yeah not technical.. Great views and massive drop off the side of the road.

Don't miss the Inca Trail, nice walk ☺

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
Wow so many options, now to decide . Ill be in both bolivia and peru, well looking for tours to cover both so i might be able to ride in both. Are the bike tours expensive? Website (gravity) doesnt have any price info, im guessing it varies

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk