Southern Exposure Surf Coast 12hr 6hr 3hr Mtb Festival

btothec

Likes Dirt
Who sings to themselves during a long race?

All the single ladies
All the single ladies
oh oh oh oh oh oh........

What songs do you sing?
I seem to have Jason Derulo's song float through my head a far bit.

Lyrics to Ridin' Solo :
Yeeeeeyeeeah, yeah, yeah, yeah,
I'm feeling like a star, you can't stop my shine,
I'm loving cloud nine, my head's in the sky,
I'm solo, I'm riding solo,
I'm riding solo, I'm ridin solo, sooloooo.

Yeah, I'm feeling good tonight, finally doing me and it feels so right, oh,
Time to do the things I like,
going to the club everything's alright, oh,

No one to answer to,
no one that's gonna argue, no,
And since I got the hold off me,
I'm living life now that I'm free, yeah,

Telling me to get my shit together
now I got my shit together, yeah,
Now I made it through the weather
better days are gonna get better

I'm so sorry that it didn't work out I'm moving on,
I'm so sorry but it's over now,
the pain is goooone,

I'm putting on my shades
to cover up my eyes,
I'm jumpin' in my ride,
I'm heading out tonight,
I'm riding solo, I'm riding solo, sooloooo.
I'm loving cloud nine, my head's in the sky.

Now I'm feeling how I should,
never knew single could feel this good, oh,
Stop playing miss understood,
back in the game, who knew I would, oh,
So flex how I spread my wings, loving myself makes me wanna sing, oh,
Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah,

Telling me to get my shit together
now I got my shit together, yeah,
Now I made it through the weather
better days are gonna get better

I'm so sorry that it didn't work out I'm moving on,
I'm so sorry but it's over now,
the pain is goooone,

I'm putting on my shades
to cover up my eyes,
I'm jumpin' in my ride,
I'm heading out tonight,
I'm solo, I'm riding solo, I'm riding solo, I'm riding solo, sooloooo.
I'm riding solo, I'm riding solo, sooloooo

yeah it's like S... O... L... O...
S... O... L... O... S... O... L... O...
Living my life and got stress no more,

I'm putting on my shades
to cover up my eyes,
I'm jumpin' in my ride,
I'm heading out tonight,
I'm solo, I'm riding solo, I'm riding solo, I'm riding solo, sooloooo.
I'm riding solo, I'm riding solo, sooloooo

I'm riding solo, sooloooo,
I'm riding solo, sooloooo.

btothec

Likes Dirt
Back OT. Really looking forward to this race. Had a ball last year at it. We had a great crew there from Forrest & The RDS and it should be the same again this year! :)

akashra

Eats Squid
Given that Anglesea has had 14% of its year-to-date rainfall in October so far, and rainfall is up over 30% on previous years when the event has been held, can anyone give an indication on how the trails are holding up? It's mostly sand so I expect it should be pretty good, but just to check - do I need to bring knobby tyres? :)

peej

Squid
Given that Anglesea has had 14% of its year-to-date rainfall in October so far, and rainfall is up over 30% on previous years when the event has been held, can anyone give an indication on how the trails are holding up? It's mostly sand so I expect it should be pretty good, but just to check - do I need to bring knobby tyres? :)
I was out there a few weeks ago and it was surprisingly good for the amount of rain we have had. I plan to head out tomorrow. I will report back on the conditions. :)

peej

Squid
I was out there a few weeks ago and it was surprisingly good for the amount of rain we have had. I plan to head out tomorrow. I will report back on the conditions. :)
I went out today, rode from iron bark basin through to Angelsea on an assortment of trails. There were a few sections where there was still water at the bottom of the little valleys but considering the rain fall over the past few days, it has held up quite well. With a few sunny days this week it should get a little better.

adz

Likes Dirt
I went out today, rode from iron bark basin through to Angelsea on an assortment of trails. There were a few sections where there was still water at the bottom of the little valleys but considering the rain fall over the past few days, it has held up quite well. With a few sunny days this week it should get a little better.
Eumerella tracks NEVER require more than a fast rolling tyre.

...errr actually now that i type that i can remember once. But only once.

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
I registered for this event almost half a year ago and have been looking forward to trying my luck at the 12 hour solo category.

Just looking at the weather forecast, I'm a bit bummed about the cold weather prognosis. Haven't been able to ride too much lately due to becoming a father (my boy is 4 weeks old now), but was hoping to squeeze this in on basis of 45km round trip commutes to work and the Bay ride yesterday + a lot of promises of good things for my wife.

However, my knee's been feeling a bit stiff in the cold and I've taken to using my 661 XC knee pads to keep it warm. This has been working pretty well on the road, but I was really starting to feel it yesterday (very average weather) and I'm not sure how I'll go over 12 hours if this is going to be a cold mudfest. There's also the question of catching a sleep deprivation assisted cold, which is something that wouldn't be too compatible with turning up for work again on Monday.

It will be interesting to see any comments here on the expected conditions later in the week.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/vic/western/anglesea

Last edited:

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I registered for this event almost half a year ago and have been looking forward to trying my luck at the 12 hour solo category.

Just looking at the weather forecast, I'm a bit bummed about the cold weather prognosis. Haven't been able to ride too much lately due to becoming a father (my boy is 4 weeks old now), but was hoping to squeeze this in on basis of 45km round trip commutes to work and the Bay ride yesterday + a lot of promises of good things for my wife.

However, my knee's been feeling a bit stiff in the cold and I've taken to using my 661 XC knee pads to keep it warm. This has been working pretty well on the road, but not sure how I'll go over 12 hours if this is going to be a cold mudfest. There's also the question of catching a sleep deprivation assisted cold, which is something that wouldn't be too compatible with turning up for work again on Monday.

It will be interesting to see any comments here on the expected conditions later in the week.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/vic/western/anglesea
Whilst it might be wet... it's rarely muddy. However I would strongly encourage brand new brake pads (METAL) and bring some spares. We ran a skills camp there a couple of times and one time we went through 12 sets of brake pads due to the sand and water mix.

adz

Likes Dirt
Whilst it might be wet... it's rarely muddy. However I would strongly encourage brand new brake pads (METAL) and bring some spares. We ran a skills camp there a couple of times and one time we went through 12 sets of brake pads due to the sand and water mix.

...that would be the once.

Handles

Likes Bikes
Sand hey? Is it loose, or packed - my tyre choices are Racing Ralph 2.4 for loose, or Conti Race King 2.2 on packed.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
if its dry the packed sand will become loose after a few hrs of people tavelling over the trails, if the sand is wet it will help hold the sand down and maintain a bit of firmness within the sand. But as the husband of the world womens 24hr solo champion rightly stated wet sand and brake pads equals a very high wear rate on brake pads so come packed with lots of spare brake pads and something to keep the drive train clean.

quiggs

serowe

Likes Dirt
if its dry the packed sand will become loose after a few hrs of people tavelling over the trails, if the sand is wet it will help hold the sand down and maintain a bit of firmness within the sand. But as the husband of the world womens 24hr solo champion rightly stated wet sand and brake pads equals a very high wear rate on brake pads so come packed with lots of spare brake pads and something to keep the drive train clean.

quiggs
What's this? MTB races going F1 style? Compulsory pit stops - instead of new tyres or fuel, compulsory brak pad changes!

Could be interesting to watch!

JessD

Likes Dirt
solo 3hr for Norm

quiggs
...the above said husband is racing solo 3hr if 40+ Male. He says he is going to race a Hard tail, his carbon trance is too plush for a 3hr flog fest...I bet he will be wishing otherwise come 1pm on Saturday!

macboy

Likes Dirt
...the above said husband is racing solo 3hr if 40+ Male. He says he is going to race a Hard tail, his carbon trance is too plush for a 3hr flog fest...I bet he will be wishing otherwise come 1pm on Saturday!
Too plush! That phrase doesn't exist in my vocabulary :p Less pain, more gain......or something like that.

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
Thanks Norm! If coming (I really want to*) I'm simply going to be a backmarker as far as pace is concerned, look out for me on my 2010 Gary Fisher Hifi. :) Old orange Y22 bike that I took to your skills course last year finally cracked its URT, so the time had come for getting a 12 year newer bike. Lots of fun ... finally have disks now! The V-brakes of the Y didn't quite hold up on the Otway Odyssey (my last outing).

I have the HiFi in for first service at My Mountain now; I'll ask for some metallic Elixir pads to be put on .. and I'll use what life is left of the 3 month old stocks (probably most) as spares. With my pace (slow) I'm probably a lot less likely to burn through them than you fast guys, and they are expensive enough as it is.

Last year's Surf Coast event was simply awesome, hopefully this year will be good too even with a less optimistic weather forecast.

*) I figured I'll be wearing my 661 Kyle Strait pads to help keep the heat in that bad knee; that should help.

akashra

Eats Squid
... wait let me compose myself for a moment :)

bahahahahahahahahaha...
:)

Of all the courses you'd choose to do on a hardtail, this is not the one. Yes, sure, it can be done (I did it at the first years event) - and it's because of this event and Eildon that I bought a duallie. Both 07 and 08 I basically got off the bike after ~6:20 and had to lie down (as did the guy I had a sprint finish with in '08).
If there's any chiropractors out there reading this thread, and whom would like to sponsor an event, this would be a great event for it :D

As for compulsory brake pad changes, it's more likely we'd just cheat and do it MotoGP style - change the entire bike.

ridemtbsnow

Likes Bikes
I'll apologise upfront as this may have alraedy been covered in the thread, but, am I right in assuming this is a course for the dually? I'm racing 6hrs solo so any help is greatly appreciated.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
I rode on a hard tail last year and had no issues. I may even have a dualie by the weekend, but dont plan on riding it as I found the course rather non technical and mostly smooth. Hardtail again it is I say! Good choice Norm :D its only three hours anywho!

akashra

Eats Squid
The section that they took out last year, which goes down the hill on the other side of the small field opposite transition was one of the roughest parts, the same was true of the fire-trail descent they had at the end of the lap on the first year right out in the back corner, which wasn't used in '08 or '09. Heading up the hill it helps to be able to soak up all those bumps over the grass.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Yes well... suffice to say I will be bringing a couple of bikes. Mind you I'm only riding 3 hours. Which is precisely 26.5 minutes longer that my "blow up" point. Therefore, if I can get enough speed up on the Hard tail, right at the 2 hour 33 minute mark... then maybe I can just roll across the line with me slumped over the bars.