Spacing for bikes on a bike rack

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone know what is a good spacing between bikes for a bike rack. Looking mostly at XC and kids bikes, no need for DH style with wide bars etc.

I like to make stuff, don't have a load of spare cash and would like to make a rack for carting bikes around in a trailer. Got some ideas on how to build it just not dimensions.

I was thinking around 300mm but would like to get them as close a possible to save space. I'm happy enough to get them out in order, ie not worried about getting out a middle bike without moving the end bikes.

T-Rex

Template denier
Here you go...

I've been running this "pallet" setup for four years, in an ordinary 6 x 4 box trailer. It takes seven bikes, anything from a DH bike to a kid's 20", and they don't touch at any point. The slots for the wheels are at 155mm centres. The bikes are loaded in alternating front and rear facing, four facing forward, three rearward. The carpet is wound around 40mm square tube, which just slots into the trailer frame. The carpet centre is 400mm ABOVE THE LIP OF THE TRAILER, this is a reasonably critical dimension, as the forks and front wheel hang over the carpet, and the edge of the trailer causes the bars to be turned, so you can stack them close but with no rubbing. The "pallet" has exactly the same slats on the bottom as on the top, which holds the wheel securely and stops the bike flopping from side to side.

The bikes just lift in and out, nothing additional is required to secure them. They are very stable, including over some pretty rough shuttle roads. I have done literally tens of thousands of KM with this setup, without a problem.

All up cost was about $50, and that was for the square tube, the rest of it I made up out of bits lying around the house.

EDIT: It makes a bit more sense with a couple of bikes loaded.

One other thing, I had to move the spare tyre (13") off the drawbar, as it interfered with the front tyres of the forward facing bikes. Where it now sits, it sometimes just touches the downtube on some bikes, in which case I just put a clean rag around the downtube.

Attachments

Last edited:

jack568

Likes Bikes
I made my own bike rack for hanging bikes in the shed.

All i used was a piece of 4" by 2" framing timber, drilled some 6mm holes ( and yes, i used 300mm spacing, seemed to work well if you stack bikes top to tail) and bought some plastic coated hooks from bunnings. They were about $4.50 for a pair of these hooks!! Very worth your while though!

The method of attaching the 4 by 2 is where it becomes a bit more interesting. Depending what your roof is made of, there are a few different options, a temporary option i used was to just clamp it (securely) to a roof cross beam. I had it hanging about 350mm out from the wall to allow for the bike to drop down vertically, with the rear wheel resting on the wall.

Good luck

Last edited:

Tarzan

Cannon Fodder
Good use for a spare pallet, spacing looks spot on, there are some great ideas on this site.
I was getting tired of the 4 bike rack on the Mazda2, loading the bikes & light bar then having headlights pointing to the sky so got a flat 2-dirt bike trailer (about 65Kg) & left it wondering how I was going to fit 5-6 mtb's (adult & kids, no duals). I stumbled across Rotorburn & read stacks of posts (Adsy, Rockmountain, Gripsport & guys doing school projects etc - thanks all) got some Gripsport crank holders & started on it. I read this thread last night & thought I'd measure mine up (I put 5 bikes on then rotated the bikes around making minor adjustments - took ages). I have 1 @ 190mm, 2 @ 320mm & 1 @ 230mm! not sure what I was on but they don't touch. 270-290mm would have been better & quicker on my setup. If I move the rack forward 50mm (pic with just the rack) I can fit a sixth across the back with a bolt on crank holder & plate underneath but I was getting carried away with the idea of fitting more instead of what I required - from the other pics mainly 3.. Rack.jpgFive.jpgUnload.jpgThree.jpg

If anyone has a use for a Pacific 4 bike rack in good condition, they can pick up - Free.

Last edited:
T_Rex that is an awesome set up.

Is the crate bolted to the floor of the trailer???
What sort of width slots are they to fit the downhill tyres. I want to carry some D/H bikes in the future but don't have on at the monent to measure.

I think I will do a setup like that. Thanks for the info