spec me a 700c/29er wheelset

shakes

Likes Dirt
The time has come to start shopping for new wheels for my next build.

Rims need to be rim brake compatible. Disc hubs, 9speed rear, 135mm preferred. tubeless would be cool but not too fussed. Basically as versatile as possible.

Will be used on my commuter in all weather, towing a loaded trailer regularly , some light offroad the odd CX race and some credit card touring so reliability is the aim of the game. Light is good, cost is relative - Not going king hubs but happy to spend a couple hunj for something nice if it is proven. Easily serviceable is also a big plus in my book.

Tire size will range from 700x28 as a minimum to at least 700x45 maybe a little wider down the track but not skinnier. So maybe a 29er rim is better suited? I've never played with big wheels so have no idea whats out there. Happy to build/lace them myself.

What do people suggest.?

larfinboy

Cannon Fodder
I'd certainly be looking at Hope hubs if the budget stretches.

I've just built a set of Hopes (trials/SS rear and 9speed rear + uni front) onto Sun EQ25s and have been very happy.
Running these on a Salsa El Mariachi.
But these are disc specific.
A number of the touring folks swear by Mavic A719 to get a braking surface for cantis or V-brakes.
Otherwise Velocity Dyads.

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
The time has come to start shopping for new wheels for my next build.

Rims need to be rim brake compatible. Disc hubs, 9speed rear, 135mm preferred. tubeless would be cool but not too fussed. Basically as versatile as possible.

Will be used on my commuter in all weather, towing a loaded trailer regularly , some light offroad the odd CX race and some credit card touring so reliability is the aim of the game. Light is good, cost is relative - Not going king hubs but happy to spend a couple hunj for something nice if it is proven. Easily serviceable is also a big plus in my book.

Tire size will range from 700x28 as a minimum to at least 700x45 maybe a little wider down the track but not skinnier. So maybe a 29er rim is better suited? I've never played with big wheels so have no idea whats out there. Happy to build/lace them myself.

What do people suggest.?
Shakes,

It sounds like you need the Mavic Speedcity. It was originally marketed to owners of 26" mountain bikes who wanted to fit a 700c wheelset as a commuter or touring wheelset. They're 135mm, with disc mounts, rim brake compatible. Tough wheels with steel spokes, cartridge bearing hubs. They're pretty tough, and the only disc brake hub I can think of that can take a Campagnolo Freehub body.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12896

Other than that, Hope/Shimano hubs with mavic 719 or DT TK rims.

Good luck,

Charlie

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
Agree with the Hope hubs for reliability and serviceability and the recommended rims. If your frames can accommodate, it go for 9mm/10mm bolt through hubs as it will support the extra weight also.

I would go for minimum 36 spoke count and build with DT Competition. More spokes for durability, DT Comps for the best strength to weight ratio of the spokes currently available. You could go for DT Alpine spokes on the rear though for ultimate strength if you wanted to but the Comps would suffice.

Good luck.

shakes

Likes Dirt
36 hole it is.

The DT TK540's look pretty nice, how do they compare to the a719's?

Hopes would be good, but I'm not sure if I could deal with the sound on a long ride when I'm tired cause they scream 'pedal you lazy prick!'

Thanks for the comments

Last edited:

shakes

Likes Dirt
Some looking around the DT's have it unless they are out of stock.

Hub wise XT's are roughly a qtr of the cost of a pair of hope pro2's, or not quite that with the DT 370's. Will I really notice $250 between them performance/longevity wise? what are some other options?

So with too much time on my hands and internet access, and some mild stalking of tomacropod across numerous forums, a SLX rear hub appears to be the way to go due to steel axle and larger bearings over the larger alloy axle and smaller bearings in the XT's.

And an alfine front dynamo may or may not find it's way on.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
Some looking around the DT's have it unless they are out of stock.

Hub wise XT's are roughly a qtr of the cost of a pair of hope pro2's, or not quite that with the DT 370's. Will I really notice $250 between them performance/longevity wise? what are some other options?

So with too much time on my hands and internet access, and some mild stalking of tomacropod across numerous forums, a SLX rear hub appears to be the way to go due to steel axle and larger bearings over the larger alloy axle and smaller bearings in the XT's.

And an alfine front dynamo may or may not find it's way on.

Thanks for all the help.
I have noticed tomacropod's affinity with SLX hubs, on that at least we can agree. They're a good value package that's hard to kill.

The DT and Mavic touring rims are very similar in weight, width, strength and features, both have double eyelets. They're essentially interchangeable, grab whichever one you can. 32 or 36 hole will both be fine for your weight, DT competition spokes, brass nipples, competent builder, but with those rims you could build it yourself with little experience and a little patience, the result should be fine.

The Dynamo hub, when not connected to a light, produces very little drag, and gives you a more versatile wheelset. I say do it.

Good luck,

Charlie

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
A cheaper hub option is the Novatec hubs. For around the same cost as the Shimano XT you would be looking at the D041SB/D042SB hub set. This hub set has sealed bearings and a steel bodied free hub so you won't have issues with the cassette gouging into the free hub as you would with an aluminium free hub. Let me know if you can't find these in 36 hole.

I prefer a sealed bearing hub, others prefer the cup and cone system of the Shimano. There are numerous threads on here discussing the pros and cons of both.

shakes

Likes Dirt
For the price of an SLX rear hub I cant go past it.

If I can trade a bit of vanity for price the DT tk540's have it as they look much nicer than the mavics.

what are peoples thoughts on the LX front dynamo?

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
For the price of an SLX rear hub I cant go past it.

If I can trade a bit of vanity for price the DT tk540's have it as they look much nicer than the mavics.

what are peoples thoughts on the LX front dynamo?
Go for the Alfine one, I think the internals are the same but different shell, a bit lighter and better finished.

Charlie

shakes

Likes Dirt
Ok to bump it up. I went with SLX hubs and a719's for a daily commute wheelset purely on a price vs function they couldnt be beaten.

In a few months time after the rest of the bike is built I'll be building a dynamo front and a matching rear wheel to swap out for some gravel grinder type rides. Being vain with these wheels and really hoping to find something suitable in a satin type finish in some sort of shade of orange, needs to take a tire up to a max 29x2.3. is it wrong to ask here rather than scour catalogues?

Last edited: