Specialized 2008 Brains

seanb888

Likes Bikes
Yeah the second is what has happened to mine, with the shock set all the way firm it should be solid and only move when you hit a bump. The first one that died had a heap of sag before it went solid but still worked OK, the second shock as soon as it was fitted I could notice a massive difference and it felt great until I was riding along thinking "is my seat pole slipping" as the bike was feeling a little uncomfortable and then while on a ride we stopped and as I got off the seat I felt the suspension pop back up and the realized as I sit on the bike the suspension is just slowly sagging down until basically the air pressure stops it. Lock out or the "brain" action doesnt work at all anymore.
Trying to learn more about how the brain is suposed to operate. Do you mean there should be no sag at all, ie hardtail, or should there be 20% sag still. My 09 epic has the bulge at the top of the brain and I run with 20-25% sag depending on the air pressure. If there is no sag at all then the rear shock would not extend to keep traction over areas where the ground went away. I thought this was correct but now am begining to worry. My shock constantly leaks oil though. Have to look into getting that fixed.

JED21- did you ever get a response from Specialized.

Cheers Sean

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I believe in 07 the first few models had the Fox shock but the higher end had the 'better' :rolleyes: AFR shock which was used on all 08 models.
Yeah I think only the carbon framed models (s-works and marathon) and the alloy marathon had the AFR shock. I have a 2007 Carbon Marathon Epic and I've never had a problem. I only use it for racing and the odd ride here and there I have a 2007 s-works stumpy for general riding also with an AFR shock with a remote brain and that works in a different way, even on the firmest position it still sags, as it is supposed to. If you dial the stumpy brain as hard as possible and the epic brain as soft as possible they overlap a bit.

On the score of Specialized giving up...I think it only took on suspension development in the first place because I think Fox dropped their terra logic (which the Specialized future shock is a continuance of) because they found their float RLC fork worked better anyway. I'd say Specialized wanted to continue with inertia valve technology and so they took it inhouse. Mike McAndrews the engineer responsible for it used to work at Fox anyway. Fox is at Watsonville and Specialized are at Morgan Hill both are a little bit inland from Santa Cruz in California and probably within about 10-15kms of each other. So Mike didn't have to go far and still got to call the shots as head engineer of a team...that might not have been the case any longer at Fox if his ideas were no longer in favour. Yep egos and inhouse politics can have an affect on this stuff too!

My guess is that they have found the RP23 is pretty good and functions almost as intelligently as the AFR brain. I recently upgraded an old stumpy to an RP23 and it feels as good as my s-works stumpy with the brain, and all at a weight of 200g! It was the first time I questioned the actual direction and the need for a brain anymore. Anyway the Fox RP23 is a quantum leap beyond the old float rear shocks. So given the special bit is on the brain it makes sense to go back to letting Fox continue R&D on the main shock body and just leave the Specialized team continue to refine the brain's function and responsiveness and its use of inertia valved suspension forks. Now they can focus on just the essentials differentiate their bikes. At the moment though I don't think they made much change to performance but are just making them smaller and lighter.

Last edited:

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
can anyone recommend a place around sydney to service my specialized shock and fork? my LBS is not a Specialized dealer,but they are good mechanics, Can they get the parts to service them?

offthepace

Likes Bikes
Trying to learn more about how the brain is suposed to operate. Do you mean there should be no sag at all, ie hardtail, or should there be 20% sag still. My 09 epic has the bulge at the top of the brain and I run with 20-25% sag depending on the air pressure. If there is no sag at all then the rear shock would not extend to keep traction over areas where the ground went away. I thought this was correct but now am begining to worry. My shock constantly leaks oil though. Have to look into getting that fixed.

JED21- did you ever get a response from Specialized.

Cheers Sean
2009 rear shock manual

seanb888

Likes Bikes
Thanks

Thanks offthepace

It would seem there is nothing wrong with my shock at all according to the manual.;)

offthepace

Likes Bikes
I haven't read the 09 manual but I'm pretty sure it won't say leaking oil is ok though ;)

On the 'sag' thing, I read an article from Specialized somewhere to open the brain totally (full soft) for setting sag, then readjust to desired setting when you have correct pressure, this seems to contradict the manual though from a quick glance. Its been a while since I've read the 08 version so not sure how that is worded.

As mentioned above when on full firm, there should be no initial sag/compression when pressing on the saddle at a reasonable pressure.

Last edited:

seanb888

Likes Bikes
I haven't read the 09 manual but I'm pretty sure it won't say leaking oil is ok though ;)
Not sure if it is oil or grease. The manual states that when the shock is cycled grease will purge from the seals, this is normal and is not oil leaking. Have done 9 or so 4h- 8h races plus on average a 3hour trail ride per week since July 09 and the same old smear of dirt mixed with either oil or grease was sitting at the end of the piston at the conclusion of every ride.

Is this to long a time for it to still be grease. I am overdue for the 50 hour maintainence.

Cheers, Sean

seanb888

Likes Bikes
On the 'sag' thing, I read an article from Specialized somewhere to open the brain totally (full soft) for setting sag, then readjust to desired setting when you have correct pressure, this seems to contradict the manual though from a quick glance. Its been a while since I've read the 08 version so not sure how that is worded.

As mentioned above when on full firm, there should be no initial sag/compression when pressing on the saddle at a reasonable pressure.
Will try setting the Air pressure that way and see what happens. Thanks for the manual and suggestions:D

Cheers, Sean

Jed21

Likes Bikes
I did get a reply from Specialized, it only took about 4 hours so I was impressed with that.They told me that all problems with the 08 AFR shocks had now been solved and that I should make sure I was getting the latest replacement shock from the distributor. Thats all good but since they fitted the last replacement shock 50kms ago its once again changed the way it works. I thought that what offthepace has said above is right.
I watched a video on youtube that went through the steps of setting the rear shock up, I followed that and it gives the settings to set your rebound and also firmness on while setting sag. The sag is set with the firmness set about half way.
With this setup and the brand new shock on when I turn it back to full firm the shock has no sag when pushing on the seat, when I ride I can feel the shock working and it kicks in and out very quickly and the bike feels fantastic! If you want a bit of sag I thought that you just turn the knob a little and soften it. The last few rides I have been on have all been short quick rides and I have not ridden with the shock set to firm because I wanted to avoid killing another shock, I rode a 4.5km loop last night that is fairly rocky and when I got back I turned the shock to full firm and there is now a fair bit of sag. I checked my air pressure and other settings and they are all the same, I also notice when this happens I cant feel the shock working as much. Im a little lost to why it would change, I first thought that this was the way it was meant to be also until I took my bike to be service by another rider he is very experienced and races elite men with many years working in bike shops and he told me it was blown so I took it in and they replaced it and the bike felt mush better for sure but thats where the constant stream of blown shocks started. This one has gone back to feeling like the first but others have just lost it all together and sagged about 20mm just buy sitting on the seat. Does anyone else shock go fully firm when the lock it out or do they all sag? I also pushed on a few at total rush a while ago and they were firm.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Mine always sagged on full firm but once I start riding it feels locked out until I hit something. My SJ works the same way (but just over a different range of plushness/firmness).

Something I noticed recently after I added some air to my SJ shock I can now hear an audible squishing noise as the oil flows through the shock as it opens up. The shock still functions correctly anyone else hear such noises?

offthepace

Likes Bikes
Not sure if it is oil or grease. The manual states that when the shock is cycled grease will purge from the seals, this is normal and is not oil leaking. Have done 9 or so 4h- 8h races plus on average a 3hour trail ride per week since July 09 and the same old smear of dirt mixed with either oil or grease was sitting at the end of the piston at the conclusion of every ride.

Is this to long a time for it to still be grease. I am overdue for the 50 hour maintainence.

Cheers, Sean
You do get a grease come out from a new shock but of the shocks I have had that clears after a few rides. You will get a 'bit' of oil residue but it shouldn't be anything excessive. Its difficult to say without seeing.

offthepace

Likes Bikes
Does anyone else shock go fully firm when the lock it out or do they all sag? I also pushed on a few at total rush a while ago and they were firm.
As mentioned, on full firm you should be able to push on the saddle and get no compression. This is 'hardtail' setting as to put it (no bob when on smooth terrain pedaling) and the shock is activated from the terrain/bump pushing the wheel up, not you pushing down. If on full firm you can compress the suspension from a push on the saddle, its not working correctly.

Jed21

Likes Bikes
Yeah thats what i thought, I can push mine down a little for sure so I would say that number 4 down but I think I will keep riding for a bit because its been out of action more then in over the last 4 weeks and thats put a huge hole in my fitness already.