Specialized Camber Elite

MrsH

Likes Dirt
I searched and found a few references to this bike, but nothing conclusive..

Does anybody ride one? Reviews? Thoughts?

Looking for a comfortable ride, and loved the big wheels when I tried a 29er..

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I searched and found a few references to this bike, but nothing conclusive..

Does anybody ride one? Reviews? Thoughts?

Looking for a comfortable ride, and loved the big wheels when I tried a 29er..
From memory the Camber has more of male geometry? I know my wife has found the specialized mens bikes to have slightly too long a top tube (forces her to stretch out too much causing her back pain). She has both an Era and a Safire (both female specific Specialized mtb bikes) and loves them.

perhaps take one for a test ride? I am sure some specialized dealers (eg. Total Rush, Trailmix, etc) can organise something for you...

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Camber fills the gap between the Epic and Stumpy, 2 reviews:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/camber-pro-39944/
http://www.mbro35.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127&Itemid=172

From memory the Camber has more of male geometry? I know my wife has found the specialized mens bikes to have slightly too long a top tube (forces her to stretch out too much causing her back pain). She has both an Era and a Safire (both female specific Specialized mtb bikes) and loves them.

perhaps take one for a test ride? I am sure some specialized dealers (eg. Total Rush, Trailmix, etc) can organise something for you...
I agree...

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Thanks all.

Interesting re the geometry difference Male to Female.. I have just checked Camber v (say) Myka and the differences in top tube length on 'small' sizes are considerable.. I some brands show v little difference b/w male & female bikes in top tube.

I hadn't considered Camber 'til today when it was suggested, thus after opinions :)

It's hard to get good advice at the shops when you're a girl ;) and harder to find the right size to ride when you're short!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
It's hard to get good advice at the shops when you're a girl ;) and harder to find the right size to ride when you're short!
If you're serious about buying a bike (and it sounds like you are) and dropping serious $$, any decent bike shop would be stupid to treat you poorly.

Let them know you are super keen on a bike (eg. Era, Safire, Myka, Camber, etc) but are unsure on which is the best bike for you. Hopefully, they should be able to provide some advice based on your skill level, what you like to do, riding style, your budget, etc. If they don't then I would go to another shop pronto :)

Take each "candidate" bike for a spin as well. A test ride can't hurt.

I've dealt with both Total Rush and Trailmix (both Specialized dealers) and both shops have provided solid service.

MrsH

Likes Dirt
If you're serious about buying a bike (and it sounds like you are) and dropping serious $$, any decent bike shop would be stupid to treat you poorly.
Yup, am sorting out the good from the not, that's for sure :) Cheers for the advice!

dyon

Likes Bikes
Having tagged along with my wife while she was buying a nice XC bike I must say that there must be a lot of stupid people working in bike shops then. Quite a sad situation but there are exceptions to the rule.

safire

Likes Dirt
Yes, buying a bike as a girl can be a frustrating experience...

So many places don't want to take you seriously and try and down-sell you into some low-end, heavy, baby-pink or baby-blue bike that only has V brakes. Would you like a pink flowery helmet and basket to go with that? Grrr!

I found the best time to get decent service was during the week when it is nice and quiet. Weekends are a waste of time. Also I try and deal with the shop manager/owner as much as possible.

I have had good service and bought bikes from the following places:
- Fitzroy Revolution (safire)
- Bike Pro (EMC roadie)

Both were willing to order in the bike/size I was interested in with no commitment to buy. Fitzroy Revolution had a test safire that I rode too - it was a medium and I need a small so they swapped out the stem and seatpost and setup the suspension for me and I had it for the weekend to test out.

Other places that have been good with service and advice where I haven't bought a bike:
- My Mountain
- Lygon Cycles (the manager here was good)

Hopefully you can find somewhere that has a Camber test bike that you can take out and ride your usual/fav trails.

Happy shopping!

robalert

Cannon Fodder
not sure if this helps

I tried a camber elite 29 at a ride day in Parramatta Lake NSW by Ashfield Cycles...

Nice ride but ended up getting a hardtail due to price. I bought a Rockhopper SL 29er but at the Mont24hr I wish I bought the camber

Great bike.... I was blown away by how little bob there even standing up. No need for the lockout during the ride, even on longer climbs. It just ate up the bumps. I just find the Specialized geometry very sweet... playful but great on climbs.

See if you can take one for a test ride. Now Specialized has narrowed down their dealers, there are much more premium and willing to do ride days.

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback all.
Am still pondering options.. Have found a store who have been very helpful; they've arranged with Trek to have a small bike sent to their store for me to try with no obligation which is very cool :) If that rides well I'll prob get it. (it's not a 29er though, shh!)

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Thanks for the feedback all.
Am still pondering options.. Have found a store who have been very helpful; they've arranged with Trek to have a small bike sent to their store for me to try with no obligation which is very cool :) If that rides well I'll prob get it. (it's not a 29er though, shh!)
nice work.......didn't know Trek made the Camber as well ;-)