Specialized Crave Pro

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm normally more into the DH/AM/Dirtjump side of things, but in the last year or so I have been doing quite a bit of XC (a few XCO races, 4hr, 6hr, 12hr etc) aboard a borrowed Niner Jet 9 and Specialized Epic. I am doing the Cape to Cape (a 4 day 220km stage race) at the end of October, so I figured it was about time I got my own XC bike and picked up this 2014 Specialized Crave Pro. Here is a really average photo of it;

photo-1.jpg

Pretty stoked on it for a 2k bike. Geometry feels good. SLX shifters w/ an XT clutch rear mech works well. Some really good Deore brakes, a comfy Spesh Henge saddle. All I have done to it is throw the ugly ergo grips in the bin and put a set of ESI Chunkys on, put the 2.1 Ground Control tyre that came on the front onto the back, put a 2.2 Captain up front and bolted a set of Candy pedals on it. Planning to ghetto tubeless it with some split tubes next week (pinned rims).

First ride on it today was good, did 20km around the Kalamunda Circuit. First time I have ridden a hardtail on singletrack in about ten years (since I was a little whippersnapper), so it was a bit interesting! My lower back copped a fair beating - I'm assuming I am just been a bit of a softcock and need to get used to riding a hardtail again? Can anyone recommend some stretches to help the back in the mean time? Tubeless should give some extra squish for comfort too.

Maybe I'll ride some smoother lines rather than bashing through all the lines I take on my 150mm bike as well...I need to do some work on my hardtail technique too, I'm putting too much weight forward and the rear is getting wild and skipping everywhere, not tracking like I am used to. Very pleased with how well the bike corners though, and its super quick!

All in all good fun, looking forward to the Cape to Cape on it.

Last edited:

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Legal issue I believe.

Seems like a pretty good idea to me to just swap two letters - everyone still knows what bike it is, but you avoid the legal issue.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Legal issue I believe.

Seems like a pretty good idea to me to just swap two letters - everyone thinks you're hanging out for a hooker, but you avoid the legal issue.
I believe this ^ will be what everyone will be thinking.