Specialized Enduro 29er

Kapten

Squid
Have browsed the net for reviews on Spec. Enduro 29er but all reviews I find are from Feb-Mar just when the bike released. Bike magazines review are good but always feel a bit biased.

Looking for some first hand feedback on the bikes performance.

I’m the process of buying a new bike and am looking at Spec. Stumpy FSR Comp Evo 26” and Trek Remedy.

How we’ll does the Enduro 29er climb compared to these two and does all the “magical” geometry numbers make it as flickable as they make it sound?

Cheers

mxracer92

Likes Dirt
they are avail .. but VERY limited numbers .. the first shipment has all been snapped up .. even heard the 2nd shipment all has deposits put on em .. best to see your local specialized dealer for more info .

awesome bike thou . depends what bike your coming from to compare it against .. def an awesome all rounder that go pedal up hills and bomb down them

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
It's seems it's the case with Stumpy/Enduro's at the moment that finding them is tough. Depending on the size your're after....took me the best part of 4 months to get one. In the end it was 1 call i made at random to a shop in Kotara, that just so happened to have a Stumpy Evo 26 in medium. Point being, despite having a deposit on this bike for so long, Specialized will happily just renege on a shipment and send it to China or the States, or even around the country and not tell anybody where the bikes have gone! So until you see it, don't get too excited!

My Stumpy is the most fun i've had on a bike of this type. I ride DH and bought this to get out into the woods without shuttling. I now ride plenty of xc, it climbs well, it descends better. I can ride most of the DH's i usually ride with as much punch as i do on my DH bike. It's much sketchier but that's half the fun. Guess it depends on what kind of riding you want to do, as it's not an XC/DH race bike, it is a ripping fun trail bike!

I don't think i can offer anything in the way of wheel size as i've not ridden it in 29er, nor anything else. That is your personal preference.

Upside - Didn't have to change a single thing on it to ride.
Downside - Getting it in my dirty little hands was a sh*t fight.

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
Seen the bike in the flesh at Manly Cycles here in Sydney. Comp Size M Allu if you want to get in touch with them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and in my eyes, the thing is FUGLY

The bike is still to new and only the first batch is arriving, therefore, doubt you will find a non-biased review. The bike is being sold like hot cakes and based on pure hype. Dislike the fact that you can't test before you buy specially on such a radical change on wheelsize for the type of bike (AM)

Enduros/Stumpy EVO's are close to impossible to find as somebody already mentioned here. Got a 2013 Enduro 26er and love it, the thing is trully amazing and based on fun factor, I don't see the poing going 29er.

Good luck!

Kapten

Squid
Got a Camber 29er at the moment but feel it's a bit too XC for the kind of riding I wanna do. Did the 3 races in SEQ Enduro Serie and had ridiculously fun but felt that the bike didn't really fit in on the DH trails.

Going overseas for a couple of months and are getting a new bike in Aug-Sep so might be able to try the Enduro 29er then and compare it to some 26ers.

Might take your advice Topperharley and look into the availability on a Stumpy Evo 26er before I head of in case there is a few months waiting.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
. Dislike the fact that you can't test before you buy specially on such a radical change on wheelsize for the type of bike (AM)
There are already a few bikes in that category like Kona Sartori (140mm front, 130mm rear), Transition Bandit (140mm front, 130mm rear). Both of these bikes are short and snappy, and are on the Trail/AM side, or Transition Covert (140mm front and rear), which is even more AM orientated.

These bikes will all have their own traits and ride characteristics, but a test ride on any one of these would give you a feel for what a destroyer the Enduro will be :)

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
they are avail .. but VERY limited numbers .. the first shipment has all been snapped up .. even heard the 2nd shipment all has deposits put on em .. best to see your local specialized dealer for more info .

awesome bike thou . depends what bike your coming from to compare it against .. def an awesome all rounder that go pedal up hills and bomb down them
apparently according to one dealer.....specialized are going to become a lot harder to find as they are shipping most of their stock to china as MTB is booming out there.

Was just a casual conversation rather than the old 'better snap one up now before they all go' bullshit you usually get.

Interesting however, wondering if there is any truth in it. Can anybody confirm?

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
There are already a few bikes in that category like Kona Sartori (140mm front, 130mm rear), Transition Bandit (140mm front, 130mm rear). Both of these bikes are short and snappy, and are on the Trail/AM side, or Transition Covert (140mm front and rear), which is even more AM orientated.

These bikes will all have their own traits and ride characteristics, but a test ride on any one of these would give you a feel for what a destroyer the Enduro will be :)
I am aware other brands do allow testing which is fantastic. My comment is in relation to Specialized which doesnt' do it.

Regardless of how well other brands on the same category might feel, I prefer to specifically test what I want to buy if I was to go 29er.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no test bikes ?

Geez, I dunno... The local Spec dealer has at least 6-8 MTB test bikes, ranging from Hardtails to duallies... All available to use for a weekend...the enduro 29er is brand spankers and a niche market.. wont be many around...I have a 2012 enduro and would LOVE to pilot the 29er version around too !!

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agree! And they don't have it and all my previous comments are in relation to this specific bike.
I think what i was trying to say, is that with some very exclusive bikes, you aren't going to get a test ride. All you can do is educate yourself as to what measurements the geometry needs to be to suit you, find bikes that are of similar style and ride them to see how that style of bike rides and feels. After you have taken steps to educate yourself, then sometimes just have to roll the dice.

Don't think you will have trouble selling it, on the small chance you don't like it....

samj116

Squid
cannondsle trigger

These bikes will all have their own traits and ride characteristics, but a test ride on any one of these would give you a feel for what a destroyer th
e Enduro will be :)
Have a ride on a cannondale trigger as well if you can. I test rode a trigger 2 and its a weapon!

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
To the OP, I forgot to mention, on my long search for my enduro 26er, Bike Society at 394 Main North Road, Blair Athol SA, confirmed they had the 2013 TLD Stumpy EVO frame set 29er available. Size M.

Attachments

Kapten

Squid
Tru BM Epic. I'm looking at 26ers and especially a Stumpy 26er. However, just checked with my local Spec. dealer and the Stumpy. FSR Comp Evo 26ers in large are all sold out. He advised me to wait until next shipment around Aug which might work well as that's when I was looking at a new bike anyways.

Not really comparable to a long travel 29er, but riding a 29er at the moment it's a fair bit of to handle (big wheels) in tight situations and just a bit curious about the Enduro 29er and it's performance. What people say the Enduro 26er climbs pretty average but descends extremely well, in short if the 29er would descend anywhere near the 26er but climb heaps better it could be an option.

Iainm

Likes Dirt
Did you miss the whole Specialized test the best roadshow over the last 6 months? Pretty sure they covered all the major cities.

They did two days in Newcastle in December (before the 29er Enduro was released) but they had loads of bikes. I tested the Camber 29er and a 26er Enduro at Glenrock - they enduro was nice and I still don't like 29ers :)