Specialized Epic Marathon

Twelve

Likes Dirt
A new thread for a new Epic - although I haven't had my other one for long, I fell in love with the way it rode; decided I couldn't resist that in a 29er (and a little newer).

The first bike I have owned with bigger wheels than 26, and I must say my first impression is incredible. It just carries speed so easily.

Frame - 2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Rear shock - Fox w/brain
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Sid
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbar 780mm
Stem - Thomson X4 50mm
Headset - FSA
Grips - Specialized
Saddle - Specialized Phenom
Seatpost - Thomson layback
Front brake - Sram XO
Rear brake - Sram XO
Cranks - Sram
Pedals - Crankbrothers Candy
Rear derailleur - Sram XO
Rear shifter - Sram XO
Cassette - Sram
Front hub - Roval
Rear hub - Roval
Front rim - Roval Control carbon
Rear rim - Roval Control carbon

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
*dribble*

Those chunky chainstays just scream power transfer maximum level. Someone is bound to ask so it may as well be me: how much does it dent the scales?

Twelve

Likes Dirt
I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, I'm eager to find out though and will report back.

Thought I would mention my love for the SWAT box too, something that takes away the need to carry a bag is fine by me.

Twelve

Likes Dirt
I like your mods (short stem/wide bar/single ring). Bet it hauls.

Where'd you find it?
The first thing I did before riding it, not a fan of narrow bars and a long stem - the single ring was on it when purchased, although that would have been another change if it was a double. That it does, it keeps surprising me how fast it is.

Found on eBay.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Looks like a non clutched rear derailleur to me. I'd swap to clutched for two reasons: silence, and you do not want the chain destroying the chain stay, even with a clutched derailleur and the protector pad, mine's still taking a beating.

Twelve

Likes Dirt
Looks like a non clutched rear derailleur to me. I'd swap to clutched for two reasons: silence, and you do not want the chain destroying the chain stay, even with a clutched derailleur and the protector pad, mine's still taking a beating.
I just checked - it's clutched. Thanks for the info though, I wasn't aware of that so would have been something I would have gotten straight onto.

Twelve

Likes Dirt
Had a great ride today in perfect weather;

On another note, noticed a lot of small bubbles on the down tube, has anyone seen this before? I'm guessing it's the clear coat not adhering properly to the carbon? Can very faintly feel them. Just hoping it's nothing structural.

They only appear to be in this one area: