Specialized riders - sizing question

Magoo74

Likes Bikes
I'm keen for some feedback on your height vs frame size.

I'm 185cm and recently test rode a large size Enduro 29er. The fit was good, but felt just a little too short in length for me.

When It comes to purchase time (I'm now leaning towards the Stumpjumper 29er evo), maybe I need the XL frame?

The thing is, I can test ride a large size frame all day, but only sit on the XL in the shop.

Anyone at a similar height riding Specialized, what's your view?

thanks fellas

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
I'm keen for some feedback on your height vs frame size.

I'm 185cm and recently test rode a large size Enduro 29er. The fit was good, but felt just a little too short in length for me.

When It comes to purchase time (I'm now leaning towards the Stumpjumper 29er evo), maybe I need the XL frame?

The thing is, I can test ride a large size frame all day, but only sit on the XL in the shop.

Anyone at a similar height riding Specialized, what's your view?

thanks fellas
The problem with only considering overall height is that the torso length determines reach and leg length standover height.

What it means is that two people with the same height but different torso lengths may require different frame sizes due to differing top tube length requirements (and the reason there is a 'womens fit' concept in bikes).

At 185 with fairly standard (relative) proportions, I'd have thought an XL would be right unless you like the feel of a shorter wheelbase bike.

Why not borrow the large for a decent workout and if the cockpit feels a tad short go you should be confident XL is the only option (longer stems to get fit on the enduro style bike is less of a solution than on an XC style bike).

FWIW I'm 189cm, of "average" proportions and ride an XL spesh (Epic rather than Enduro) Same size as my mate who is 185 but same torso length as me. However its a bit long for my son who is 183cm and similarly proportioned (torso:leg length) to me.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Specialized are usually pretty good with test rides. How come you can only sit on it in the shop and not go for a ride around the street at least ?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I had an XL Enduro and it was quite long between the steerer and the seat tube. I'm 192cm and reckon I could have almost gotten a large frame but cured it with stem and bar combinations that suited me perfectly.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I had an XL Enduro and it was quite long between the steerer and the seat tube. I'm 192cm and reckon I could have almost gotten a large frame but cured it with stem and bar combinations that suited me perfectly.
Agree re Specialized sizing generally. I am 187cm with long legs so could be comparable in required ETT to a 'normally proportioned' 185cm gent. Spec L feels too cramped and XL feels very long. Neither of their L/XL fits like a glove.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
188cm XL for me, I prefer longer top tubes.

(Please don't spread rumors I'm a Specialized owner though).

slowmick

38-39"
190 cm here and i ride a large 26" enduro. i guess i have long femurs so i run a set back seat post and the seat way out the back to get behind the pedals. I don't have extra long arms to make up for this so large is the best compromise for me. i have a 40mm stem to replace the 75m one to try and get a bit better fit.

When i test rode a large 650b enduro at the test the best day it felt a little cramped. probably could have used the seat moved back. Didn't take long to get used to though.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Not sure what stem length come as standard on an Enduro, but I'm guessing its pretty short.
You will need to ride both keeping in mind that the cockpit can be customiszed to suit you size and preference.

I'm right on the cusp of most manufacturers' small and medium @173cm. Generally I prefer a medium with a shorter stem and moderate sweep and rise bars.
Most size small ETT lengths make me feel cramped, but that's my own personal preference.
A 35mm stem and large backsweep bars -vs- a 90mm stem and flat bars make a massive difference to sizing and comfort.
Also keep in mind the seat tube angle, as the higher you run your seat post the more your reach will increase.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Not sure what stem length come as standard on an Enduro, but I'm guessing its pretty short.
You will need to ride both keeping in mind that the cockpit can be customiszed to suit you size and preference.

I'm right on the cusp of most manufacturers' small and medium @173cm. Generally I prefer a medium with a shorter stem and moderate sweep and rise bars.
Most size small ETT lengths make me feel cramped, but that's my own personal preference.
A 35mm stem and large backsweep bars -vs- a 90mm stem and flat bars make a massive difference to sizing and comfort.
Also keep in mind the seat tube angle, as the higher you run your seat post the more your reach will increase.
Seat tube angle should not effect reach at all. I say "should" as it is dependent on whether you put your seat in the right position in the first place (ie. right height and right location on the rails with your knee over the pedal spindle at 3 o'clock). Seat position should remain constant regardless of what bike you are riding. It is not uncommon for reviews to talk about seat angle effecting reach - however it is factually inaccurate.

Agree that backsweep will effect reach. However barsweep should be chosen based on comfort not reach.

The only true ways to adjust reach is through frame size and stem length.

Being 6'2" with approx 35-36" inseam makes it an absolute pain in the arse to try and find a road, cyclocross or mountain bike with the appropriate reach and stack height. Mountain bikes are a little easier - but adding chainstay length, wheelbase and a short stem to the equation makes it like trying to solve a rubix cube.

That said, I went through the process of looking at a Specialized for my last all-mountain bike and potentially the next (2016 Stumpjumper), and unfortunately I am also between sizes for my desired reach length.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Seat tube angle should not effect reach at all. I say "should" as it is dependent on whether you put your seat in the right position in the first place (ie. right height and right location on the rails with your knee over the pedal spindle at 3 o'clock). Seat position should remain constant regardless of what bike you are riding. It is not uncommon for reviews to talk about seat angle effecting reach - however it is factually inaccurate.
Given the context you gave just used reach, I'd suggest, that saying it doesn't effect it at all - is not quite correct . Most people, like yourself use the term to explain fit from the rider to the bars, but that is not what it is - the following shows "reach" as it is used by bike manufacturers .

image.jpg

Note that fit will most certainly change depending on how high the rider sets the seatpost, whether this corresponds to a common standing position, whether the rider has a small amount of seatpost out or not, and the angle of the seatpost, all will effect this.

The concept that everyone can equally get a good knee over spindle position greatly underestimates the differences in rider sizes on different bikes.

Reach however is fixed because it is a frame measure with a nicely accepted definition as in the above pic.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
It is not uncommon for reviews to talk about seat angle effecting reach - however it is factually inaccurate.

If you read my post again I refer to "your reach" and this was not directed at the fixed value of reach of the frames geometry.
Measured reach is only set but frame geometry and does not change, but a personal "reach" measurement is totally dependent on 3 things.
Stem length, seat post height ( dictated by seat tube angle) and sweep.

My point is that the slacker the seat tube angle, the more effect that seat height will have on the cockpit set up.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Given the context you gave just used reach, I'd suggest, that saying it doesn't effect it at all - is not quite correct . Most people, like yourself use the term to explain fit from the rider to the bars, but that is not what it is - the following shows "reach" as it is used by bike manufacturers .

View attachment 313940

Note that fit will most certainly change depending on how high the rider sets the seatpost, whether this corresponds to a common standing position, whether the rider has a small amount of seatpost out or not, and the angle of the seatpost, all will effect this.

The concept that everyone can equally get a good knee over spindle position greatly underestimates the differences in rider sizes on different bikes.

Reach however is fixed because it is a frame measure with a nicely accepted definition as in the above pic.
Correct. We are saying the same thing - but you're disagreeing? Anyway reach is from centre line of bottom bracket to centre top of head tube - exactly as per your picture. Hence seat angle does not effect reach.

Last edited:

SDA

Likes Dirt
If you read my post again I refer to "your reach" and this was not directed at the fixed value of reach of the frames geometry.
Measured reach is only set but frame geometry and does not change, but a personal "reach" measurement is totally dependent on 3 things.
Stem length, seat post height ( dictated by seat tube angle) and sweep.

My point is that the slacker the seat tube angle, the more effect that seat height will have on the cockpit set up.
Yes - but only if you don't move your seat forward. Not adjusting the seat on it's rails would either fix knee pain and give you more power or give you knee pain and potentially lose power - depending on whether it was set up correctly in the first place.

Plus offset and zero offset seatposts are there to help further fine tune your fit (pedal to seat position).

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
182 and I ride a medium enduro... It does feel short in the top tube. But I enjoy that feeling.

using your comparison to the stumpy is a tough ask. From memory the enduro has a shorter top tube than the Stumpy for each comparable frame size.

Personally, try another specialized dealer to see what they have or maybe ask if the state manager has a test fleet with the appropriate sizing. Specialized normally have a test fleet based in each state.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
187cm is definitely the awkward height. I was in the same boat and went for an L because I come from a Dirt Jumping back ground. I like an agile bike that can be thrown around a bit. Some guys like a planted longer bike.

There was a guy in our town that was roughly 185 cm and he was really disproportionate. He had extremely long legs and an average torso. If i remember correct, he was on a Med with the seat post a bit past MAX extension and had to rise the bars to reduce his hip angle. Looked super awkward but he loved it.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
The large has a 21" ST, I don't think I have ever seen a decent looking bike in that size, a large with the reach of an XL would be awesome.

Buy a Mondraker?

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
Funny you mention the mondraker. I'm 183cm, ride a large RIP9, Xl stumpy ht and medium mondraker crafty (55mm stem though). Like jaredp says, do some proper testing

crim 87

Likes Dirt
i'm on a medium enduro 29 and roughly 6ft about 182cm i think but the reach or the top tube make it feel quite short test rode a medium and a large 650 enduro and they felt much roomier. im not to sure which size to opt for though think i could go either way def a shorter stem on the large though.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seat post angle does not effect reach. Seat post angle effects effective top tube length and therefore how far you have to "reach". Clear?