Speedplay Frogs

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm chasing a new set of pedals for the all mountain machine, and came across Speedplay Frogs. They apparently allow a heap more float than your standard SPD pedal, and as a born and bred flat pedal rider, I like having that freedom to twist across the pedals in corners without unclipping. They are also exceptionally light which appeals.

Is anyone here using them or has used them? Thoughts, comments?

My concerns are that extra float is going to be annoying when you don't want it (eg climbing) and also the fact you can apparently only unclip to the outside.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Would consider Time ATAC pedals as well, or the Mavics, which are just rebranded Time pedals. Havn't used them personally, but more float than Shimano and not as unreliable as CB!

http://www.mavic.com/pedals/mtb#
This.

Many, many years since I had frogs (originally on roadie, but later also went on MTB for consistency) but in the end the downsides wrt lack of float control when standing and nonsense exit action sealed their fate for me.

I went to Shimano (with multirelease version of cleat). However my son didn't like the lack of float when he went from flats to Shimano clip and found ATACs best suited.

Last edited:

betadine

Likes Bikes
Speedplay frogs - I've used them

Hi there,

I'm a recent convert to mountain biking and had great success with speed play road pedals so thought I'd give the frogs a try. I found that they did have heaps of float to the point where it felt like your feet were on ice. I quickly got used to that though.

What I struggled with was that I found them harder to get into than my SPDs, especially when mud was involved. I put up with this for a good while but in the end went back to my trusty shimano XT pedals.

So now I have a set of frogs and matching cleats sitting in the shed doing nothing. I'm very happy to send them up to you to try and if you like them, make me an offer. I'd much rather see someone using them than have them sitting in the garage.

PM me and we can work something out.