Spider eats Bird

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pfft, I saw this like a week ago. :rolleyes:

As someone who hates spiders, I think I live in the wrong country.

|Matt|

Banned
Goddammit, I was just about to close firefox and go to bed, but no, I thought I'd hit 'New Posts' just once more. Then I see the title 'Spider eats Bird' and click it. Now I'm gonna have to check above every freaking doorframe and under my bed and pillows before I go to bed :mad:.

Stupid spiders.

Ryan

Radministrator
Fuck yes. Though that bird's only a finch and would fit comfortably in the palm of your hand.

Still, that spider's going to be all "Helllll yeahhhhh, what now bitches?!" I reckon next, he's going to eat a cat.

Having grown up in Cairns, I can say with some certainty that golden orb weavers get that big and even bigger and are also bastards who revel in making massive, ridiculously strong webs across downhill tracks and hanging in them at head height. First run of the day means the lead out man is on spider patrol, not a coveted position.

Australia = win. Showing this to every pom I can from now on. Spiders over here are girly and shit in comparison.

Last edited:

viv

Likes Dirt
holy shit that is a crazy looking/big spider, makes my hair stand! haha
pretty sure we don't get anything like that over in Perth...I hope not anyway!!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
That's one thing I haven't missed about Australia.. Spiders. That's a big fucker.

That said, like Ryan, I'm going to cash in on it and use these photos to scare the shit out of English folk and make myself appear more manly by dropping phrases like "oh yeah this is just a small one, my pet spider ate a crow" and "they taste really great when cooked on the barbie" while they are still grappling with the idea of a spider larger than their hand.

sundy

Likes Dirt
That picture was in one of the London newspapers last week. It was a big half-page shot. I think the British are shit-scared of the creatures that lurk in oz. (of course, i am too sometimes)

dh damo

Likes Dirt
thats gnarly as. if saw one i would scream like a girl and run away. and then come back with lynx and a lighter.

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want it to eat one of the locals next. But that will be in 5 years time after letting the bird digest and the spider becoming mega big.
P.S. Tupper, your just jealous of our bird eating spiders, dont get them in Indo aye ;)

Zoobz

Likes Dirt
hmm....golden orb weaver eh! looks like another thing added to my scared shitless off list...

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
There was a post on OTN linking that story called "Not visiting Australia any more". Americans are scared out of their wits of these things, we need more stories like this.

I had a wolf spider in the shed for ages & it would rear up every time I got my bike out, it even bit me on the boot a couple of times. It was so ballsy I didn't have the heart to squish it.

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't seem to understand how the bird mannaged to get stuck... If it was flying along then wouldn't it just bail through the web? Understood that spider webs can be pretty tough things at times, especially to support a spider teh size of a bus, but still... Not exactly like hitting a sticky trampoline. Would have loved to watch that bird go down on video.
As for the Poms, half my family is English (I'm Aussie through and through) Only been to Pommyland a few times but all of my cousins are terrifyed of Australia. They honestly think that if you come here you will be swarmed with wild critters ready to suck the blood out of you. It's hillarious! Spiders in particular. Definatly going to run this one by them next time!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Never underestimate the strength of an orb weavers web. They are incredibley strong considering the size.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Having grown up in Cairns, I can say with some certainty that golden orb weavers get that big and even bigger and are also bastards who revel in making massive, ridiculously strong webs across downhill tracks and hanging in them at head height. First run of the day means the lead out man is on spider patrol, not a coveted position.
Yup. We get them here in Townsville as well. I've had one on my face doing 30ish once. Was not fun, I screamed like a little girl.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Did a first aid course a while ago. The instructor was ex-army from cairns. He was showing us various spiders to help us identify poisonous and non-poisonous. There was a picture of one of the golden orb monstrosity spiders in their. He told us a story from his army days. While doing excercises in amoured personel characters, the army guys weren't allowed to sit on the roof's of the vehicles during dawn or dusk. Reason: These spiders tend to hang out in their webs at these times. So, person sitting on the outside of a vehicle gets smacked in the head and 50km/h by a big ass spider. The instructor was on a drill where a soldier got knocked out by the impact and fell off the vehicle, only to wake up with a angry as hell spider sitting on his head.