Spitfire and Rune owners in Canberra

dh1

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

I am looking at purchasing either one of these frames but just can't decide between the two. I don't want the Rune to hold me back in regards to climbing but I am worried about the spitfire not handling the descents. I ride a lot in Wollongong as its my home town and I do a complete mix of riding, I don't thrush or ride super hard on the dh tracks anymore as I'm just cruising with enough speed to ensure I can hit all the gravity obstacles and I regularly climbing the mountain. Current bike is a meta am with 150mm rear travel, the shock just lets the frame down unfortunately, otherwise 150mm seems to be enough for me. Have a 160mm fork up front

I'm in Canberra for the weekend doing some riding and was hoping I might be able to sight and size up these frames. Wil be at stroll most of tomorrow.

Cheers,

Zeb.

moorey

call me Mia
Not in Canberra, run a spitty with CCDBA. It won't hold you back on the decents. It's the biggest 140mm getting around. Ridden a few mates Runes, and yeah, there's a bit more there, but wouldn't swap my spitty for a rune any day, even if the rougher stuff was my main playground.
Isnt distro in Canberra? They have demos, I think.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Justed googled this exact question, lots of people been wondering the same thing.

From my experience having owned a Rune for 15 months, but, while having ridden a spitfire, but not enough to give a perfect comparison.

Spitfire climbs much better, but the Rune climbs quite good for a 160mm bike, if getting to the top is a race, spitfire wins hands down, if your happy to sit and spin, rune is sufficient.
Rune is far superior in descending, as long as you have the speed and aggressiveness to make the most of it.
General riding, trail riding, XC kind of stuff with a few decent decents, spitfire is better, it's simply a more versitile bike. But build and dropout position make either versitile.
If you only ride to the top of the hill for the descent Rune will win.

I only ride to the top for the descent, so the rune made sense, such a fun bike to ride, I road it everywhere - lots of XC and bike tracks, it wasn't an issue as I wasn't in a hurry.

swatto90

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

I am looking at purchasing either one of these frames but just can't decide between the two. I don't want the Rune to hold me back in regards to climbing but I am worried about the spitfire not handling the descents. I ride a lot in Wollongong as its my home town and I do a complete mix of riding, I don't thrush or ride super hard on the dh tracks anymore as I'm just cruising with enough speed to ensure I can hit all the gravity obstacles and I regularly climbing the mountain. Current bike is a meta am with 150mm rear travel, the shock just lets the frame down unfortunately, otherwise 150mm seems to be enough for me. Have a 160mm fork up front

I'm in Canberra for the weekend doing some riding and was hoping I might be able to sight and size up these frames. Wil be at stroll most of tomorrow.

Cheers,

Zeb.
Mate send me a pm. I can get you a sit on both.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Also not in Canberra... but, I went for the Spitfire because if I'm gonna be riding to the top I want it to be a fairly comfortable ride, plus it should give me more versatility for all-round riding.
If it's gonna be a slow dog of a climb for a descent, I'd rather bring out the DH bike and just push it up.

Yet to build mine and see how it feels to ride, but the frame looks and feels great. Very solid and stiff feeling.
That being said, I also love how mean the Rune frame looks.

As for being worried about the Spitty on descents, I have read it's the DH bike of trail bikes.
Hopefully that holds true!

mittagongben

Likes Dirt
Shoot me an email at info@singletracks.com.au, i'm in Mittagong and i'm happy to bring a few bikes down to test.

The spitfire is the better do everything bike, but I don't mind the extra weight of the rune just to feel like I'm never under biked.
The trails i was riding last weekend everyone had DH bikes and no one was getting away from me on my rune.

The CCDB air CS shock works really well, they can be tuned to get dh plush or xc efficiency.

swatto90

Likes Dirt
Also not in Canberra... but, I went for the Spitfire because if I'm gonna be riding to the top I want it to be a fairly comfortable ride, plus it should give me more versatility for all-round riding.
If it's gonna be a slow dog of a climb for a descent, I'd rather bring out the DH bike and just push it up.

Yet to build mine and see how it feels to ride, but the frame looks and feels great. Very solid and stiff feeling.
That being said, I also love how mean the Rune frame looks.

As for being worried about the Spitty on descents, I have read it's the DH bike of trail bikes.
Hopefully that holds true!
Having owned both. The spitfire is a better bike. I never rode my downhill bike when I had the rune but. However upgrading my rear shock on the spitfire to a ccdb it feels like it has all the travel I need.

BizL

Likes Dirt
How much mr HellYeah? Frame only or build?

Edit: Sorry for the thread Hijack...

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
How much mr HellYeah? Frame only or build?
He's flagging an upcoming sale. Your question is reasonable and now you've shown both should be in the for sale section.

Why didn't you just PM him and get an inside advantage?

Last edited:

dh1

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info guys. Will be having a look at both bikes come Sunday at Majura pines.
What are rune and spitfire builds roughy weighing in at?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I've got a Rune and it's a great bike, still fine tuning but I love every ride. Having said that, I rode moorey's Spitty last week and I'd be stoked with that too.

If you're bent is aggressive gravity stuff, going up simply to fly back down any trail you choose, Rune wins. If you like to climb as well as bomb down pretty much anything, go Spitty.