Split practice for thredbo

Kreaky

Likes Dirt
What pisses me off is that A group have to wake up first thing both Saturday and Sunday!
Can't they swap the practise times over sunday Morning??

Also, I won't be following the practise times if i can help it, unless, I wonna practise the 4x.

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Squidly Didly said:
When it comes down to it, you can’t please everyone. BUT why can’t you at least try to please the majority? This is the National Championships, NOT a club level race.
If you’re a newbie and are afraid of being intimidated by faster riders, why jump right into the most professional race in Australia? Common sense really.
Exactly...

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Simon B said:
stuff them thursday and friday i will ride all day and i am sure lots of others will to. You stop 1 or 2 people but not heaps of people doing the same thing.
Hmm good luck considering you'll have colour coded wrist bands on your arm depending on your grade. It's not worth trying to cheat the system anyway as it only fucks up other riders. I'd rather them change the entire schedule, then to have a few dribs and drabs of 'evaders' fuck other people over.
Kreaky said:
What pisses me off is that A group have to wake up first thing both Saturday and Sunday!
Can't they swap the practise times over sunday Morning??
Don't forget Thurs and Fri! It'll be nice if they could rotate the times like Eildon did with the last Nats Champs eh! I know Sat morning is gonna be mighty hard to wake up and be ready by 8am after the MtnX and Drift 3 launch from the previous night.
hardinge915 said:
Exactly...
I agree fully :)

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Personally i believe split practice is a bit of a joke. At the national round i got 3 runs for a $100. yes the weather played a part, But- and this is a very big but (!!!) they do have access to alpine forecasts in Thredbo, they could have opened practice to all competitors on Saturday morning in light of said forecast. they didnt. they didnt have a contingensy (sp) plan.
A race is run for the racers, if you pay your entry you deserve to be able to ride.
I for one will not pay till the last minute Sat morning (i race masters) to enter, and if the weathers dodgy i will not enter at all.
Maybe this issue needs to be put to the vote, yay or nay, at the AGM. let the riders decide.

Simon B

Likes Bikes
Can i ask does anybody know the amount of people racing for the round they had at thredbo before christmas.
People go to thredbo because they know that a big cue at the chairlift clears quickly.
This is a good way to keep numbers down when we are trying to grow this sport. People who see the time table won't justify spending that sort of money for 3 or 4 hours on the mountain.
It might work for shuttles for other rounds but not thredbo...

demo man

Used to be cool.
Simon B said:
Can i ask does anybody know the amount of people racing for the round they had at thredbo before christmas.
People go to thredbo because they know that a big cue at the chairlift clears quickly.
This is a good way to keep numbers down when we are trying to grow this sport. People who see the time table won't justify spending that sort of money for 3 or 4 hours on the mountain.
It might work for shuttles for other rounds but not thredbo...

people above you are arguing that having split times are better for people new to the sport as they don't get run-over...i have to say though, if you want to try the sport out, why the hell would you strart at the Australian National Championships? i mean really!

there were about 320 riders at the December Nationals round, they are expecting 400-450 this weekend (last time i talked to Colin/Tony anyway).

SKT

Likes Dirt
demo man said:
people above you are arguing that having split times are better for people new to the sport as they don't get run-over...i have to say though, if you want to try the sport out, why the hell would you strart at the Australian National Championships? i mean really!
I agree. The problem is that the classes dont allow for skill levels. Just check out the times from last round at Thredbo. Guys in Class B were obviously hooking. It's not entirely fair to make 75% of the entire field lose track time due to a few guys with the ambition to have a crack yet don't quite have the skills yet. Thredbo is a demanding track and it has a way of thinning the field thorughout the day as fatigue sets in and bodys and bikes break.

I think that a split practice on race day is the basic requirement. All other days if they were open practice, you could easily get around the track, putting sections together and digging up lines. Then on race day you can have that dedicated time where you can get full runs, getting a good idea of the current track condition etc for the race itself.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I think the thing with thredbo is you don't want to do lots of runs or you are going to be too stuffed for your race runs.

Just do a few runs, or even better walk down the track, take time to spot lines, watch what the fast guys are doing.

I just came from thredbo and did 25+ runs in 2 back to back days and i am totally stuffed at the moment, hands are still sore, legs are still sore, arms are still sore after 2 days off the bike.

So, my take on it is its not so bad. If your worried about getting value for money the don't race as you never get enough riding done to justify the expense. Instead you should have been at thredbo weekend just gone, $120 for 2 days of non-stop riding with hardly anyone on the track, sweet as.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
I've had the kids up there last week, trying to avoid the big numbers...

Plans for this week, but the weather isn't looking helpful.

Definitely agree on the rest thing.... my son was up there 5 days straight before the national round, only the Saturday off to rest, and when it came time to race he was stuffed!!!! We just had the same thing happen at Mt Beauty.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A NAtional Round probably isn't the best for a beginnner agreed.
It's going to happen though expecially at Thredbo.
The split practice is going to happen too so you might as well just deal with it as best you can.
Last year people were practicing in the wrong time slots and I saw some Class A riders have a go at Class B riders in the Class B practice time (At the State race). Not cool.

powermutant

Likes Dirt
Cave Dweller said:
I think the thing with thredbo is you don't want to do lots of runs or you are going to be too stuffed for your race runs.
Maybe for the people that are looking to podium. For me, racing is an excuse to actually get out and ride, travel to other tracks, catch up with mates, and watch the pros race. Lots of time on the bike (especially at lifted places ala Thredbo) is of the highest importance. Come race run, I'm a bit tired and lose 10 seconds, and drop 2 places from 12th to 14th - oh the horror! Last year the only time I hit Thredbo was for the state and national rounds. This year, split practice, no thanks, I'll go to races/events where I get to ride my bike.

If its true that off-the-street punters are allowed to run at any time during the Thurs-Saturday it just makes a mockery of split practice.

Elite guys complaining should just look at the composure displayed by the enduro elite guys. 90% of racers are there to particapate. Without the participants, what do you have? A thriving scene like xc-racing.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
powermutant, its a national series DH race. You have alot of pro guys there, and alot of younger guys trying to test themselves against the pros. There are also alot of slower guys giving it a go, and good on them.

But the two should not be mixxed in practice just like they are not mixxed in the race runs, its very dangerous. And trust me, if the practice was combined you would have the pros bitching about being held up and the n00bs complaining about having to move off the track every 20 seconds. Its better to have them seperated, especially seeing thredbo has some very fast sections and alot of blind corners as well.

If you are going to have fun and hang with your mates, great, if your there to get the maximum number of runs possible then you are going at the wrong time. If thats what your after would it not be better to go down the following weekend with your mates?

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
I actually wish they had a third practice session for the groms and anyone else who didn't feel comfortable mixing it with the faster riders... However given the complaints over TWO practice sessions, three is NEVER going to happen LOL!!!!

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can guarantee the top 10 Vet times will be right up there with Elite mid pack. The safety issue is null and void as it is impossible to separate the beginners from the experienced unless you have a 'sport' only session. If the elites are concerned that beginners will be in the way, then I guess I should be pissed that I'm lumped in with U15 girls. If you are so inexperienced that you are a safety risk, you shouldn't be racing at the National Championships. This isn't soccer FFS.

In my opinion, Thursday and Friday should not be split. I can understand to a small degree if it was done on Saturday.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Don't automatically assume that because someone is slower that they are inexperienced.... they can just be a lot smaller!!!

aussie

Division One
Split practise is a great idea that way you dont have little groms getting run down buy the big elite riders.

Just think about it. It is really a safety thing.

Also any race is a good time for new people to start, the more people we have in this sport the better so if this is your first time come and fun and try to make the most of what will be a great weekend.

Moshy

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
aussie said:
Split practise is a great idea that way you dont have little groms getting run down buy the big elite riders.

Just think about it. It is really a safety thing.
I think you missed this wise point that Kram has brought up ...
Kram said:
I can guarantee the top 10 Vet times will be right up there with Elite mid pack.
True! Just have a look at the results from the last race ...
1st Elite Men: 6:14.08 (group A)
1st U19 Men: 6:24.49 (group A)
1st Veteran Men: 6:39.29 (group B)
1st U17 Men: 6:32.56 (group B)

I think it's safe to say that the safety thing is negated when you've got such fast pinners in group B. Happy trails

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
Split practice times are going to be "the norm" for these races in the future.
The current arrangements for group-A and group-B won't work. You will still get a lot of fast riders mixed in with group-B.

Wouldn't it be more practical to sort the groups into times?
for Thredbo example (3 groups)
sub 7 min for group-A
7-8 min group-B
8+ min group-C
or (2 groups)
Group-A sub 7.5 min
Group-B 7.5+ min

It's not all that hard to sort out the faster riders and any first timers would go into group-B
Like Squid etc has stated before, some Vets, 17's and even a few sporties would/could find themselves in Group-A. Conversely the bottom end of 19's and expert may find themselves in Group-B.
(I'm sure that would piss a few people off)

Whatever happens something has to be sorted out. At present what's on offer is a compromise and I'm sure that race organisers are always looking at better ways to do it.