Split practice for thredbo

ja_har

Likes Dirt
Squidly Didly said:
I think you missed this wise point that Kram has brought up ...

True! Just have a look at the results from the last race ...
1st Elite Men: 6:14.08 (group A)
1st U19 Men: 6:24.49 (group A)
1st Veteran Men: 6:39.29 (group B)
1st U17 Men: 6:32.56 (group B)

I think it's safe to say that the safety thing is negated when you've got such fast pinners in group B. Happy trails

Not nessacarily.

HOW MANY riders of group A are fast compared to HOW MANY riders are fast in group B. Number of fast riders on the hill at any one time will also affect safety.

powermutant

Likes Dirt
Cave Dweller said:
powermutant, its a national series DH race. You have alot of pro guys there, and alot of younger guys trying to test themselves against the pros. There are also alot of slower guys giving it a go, and good on them. But the two should not be mixxed in practice just like they are not mixxed in the race runs, its very dangerous.
Why cannot I test myself against the pro guys, or even the yougers guys, and still race in my class? Also, it's a national championship, perhaps we should only have the guys running who have a real shot at the jersey?

As for safety. I'll call it. Bull$hit. You can provide me with the significant number of medical visits caused by slower riders causing faster riders to axe themselves. Even within the Elite class you have a significant time differential. If it was so dangerous you have effectively removed every shared use trail in Ausralia (can you say rider/walker conflict). Anecdotally, I've been tangled up with a faster U19 rider who crashed in front of me during practice.

Cave Dweller said:
And trust me, if the practice was combined you would have the pros bitching about being held up and the n00bs complaining about having to move off the track every 20 seconds. Its better to have them seperated, especially seeing thredbo has some very fast sections and alot of blind corners as well.
In past Thredbo rounds I've never heard more than an isolated incident or complaint. So why is it that I have to ride in the same group with people who are up to 5 minutes slower than me, but I can't ride with guys who are a minute faster than me?

Cave Dweller said:
If you are going to have fun and hang with your mates, great, if your there to get the maximum number of runs possible then you are going at the wrong time. If thats what your after would it not be better to go down the following weekend with your mates?
I disagree, the following weekend you really do have n00bs on track. Race weekends at Thredbo for me used to be jamming in tons of non-stop runs, trailing the fast guys, doing your race run and enjoying the scene. Split practice has effective removed half of the reasons for turning up. Further I can't even ride with my my mates who are Group A riders.

To have a successful race, you need first and foremost racers.

boysik

Pro Rider
all for it

Im all for split practice,,,the main reasons being is that the general speed of the categories, group A and B are usually quite different, not just the fast guys up front or on the podium. We have always had split practice a the Nationals for the last bunch of years and as long as i can remember, Mt Beauty, Eildon etc, now there is just more of it being split.

Instead of 400 riders all wanting to ride a the same time theres only a couple of hundred doing practice at once...

It does reduce everyones practice time, i would like more than a few hours each day too, but the chair at thredbo means you can get in nearly 4 runs in an hour....go pin it. If you want to practice in a faster category, race elite.

Last edited:

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its not about wanting to practice in a faster category, it's about being able to practice all day.

One point that I think has been missed is that most of the slower riders won't be punching out 25 runs anyway. In fact, the likelihood of 400 riders of any level wanting to ride at the same time is slim to none. Half of the field will be hungover and sleeping in and the other half will be ready for a beer by noon.

The whole point is that someone has decided for me that I can only ride for 3.5 hours and if I get a flat I'm screwed for a chunk of it. I couldn't care less who was on the track, I just want to ride. Maybe have a break here and there and just ride all day. Unfortunately we are forced to go out like mad buggers and smash out runs til we puke and hope that our bikes and bodies hold up for the duration. And heaven forbid someone gets in my way.

atsmito

CHICKS DIG ME
split practice has been the norm for every national champs that i have been to in the past five years, maybe even longer.

some may argue that safety is not an issue with combined practice, however small, it is. especially with the larger numbers at the champs. split practice also limits the amount of people that could possibly be on the track at any one time making it safer also. it also effects those faster riders hoping to get the most out of their practice.

i can see both sides of the argument though and instead of combining practice all day maybe the distribution of practice needs to be altered. there is a total of 7 hours practice for each day, what if 3 hours was combined practice, and then 2 hours for group A and 2 hours for group B of segragated practice. that would give a total of 5 hours for each group, which would be more than enough time to get some decent runs in with your mates and in your group.

we need solutions to the problem, not bitching

demo man

Used to be cool.
atsmito
CHICKS DIG ME

:eek:

split practice is a good thing for me this time round - i will be filming, so having all the fast guys riding at the same time in a smalleramount of time means i can get some decent footage before the batteries run out!

if i was riding i wouldn't be too fussed either, but that's just because i'm unfit and lazy.
i can see merit in both sides. therefore, I'm going to sit on that fence until the cows come home.

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
atsmito said:
we need solutions to the problem, not bitching
Solution is simple. No split practise. When all the chumps are tired and sore, all the hard riders will have the place to themselves. How hard is that?

daddyrat

Likes Dirt
ah well all for scraping split practice.
maybe saturday afternoons and sunday morning.like from 12 to 2.30 for a's and 2.30 to 5 for b's and sunday stays split as is.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
atsmito said:
i can see both sides of the argument though and instead of combining practice all day maybe the distribution of practice needs to be altered. there is a total of 7 hours practice for each day, what if 3 hours was combined practice, and then 2 hours for group A and 2 hours for group B of segragated practice. that would give a total of 5 hours for each group, which would be more than enough time to get some decent runs in with your mates and in your group.
That is the best realistic solution i've read so far. Not bad for your '1st' post eh!
Split practice has been around for many years yes, but not many (if any) other tracks stop runs at 4pm.
It may be too late for this particular race, but there's nothing stopping us for planning future races at Thredbo. We've still got the opening state round there in March as well.
As for the whole rider skill level thing, i'm all for introducing what NSWMTB has done with the State Series... Basically you must have a full MTBA licence, and have completed at least ONE state round, before you are aloud to race at the Championships.
While this will ultimately reduce numbers, a Regional series will be introduced to target the more 'fun' lineup of riders, without holding back our more 'professional' races.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
powermutant said:
Maybe for the people that are looking to podium. For me, racing is an excuse to actually get out and ride, travel to other tracks, catch up with mates, and watch the pros race. Lots of time on the bike (especially at lifted places ala Thredbo) is of the highest importance. Come race run, I'm a bit tired and lose 10 seconds, and drop 2 places from 12th to 14th - oh the horror!
Absolutely, my position exactly!

Cave Dweller said:
And trust me, if the practice was combined you would have the pros bitching about being held up and the n00bs complaining about having to move off the track every 20 seconds. Its better to have them seperated, especially seeing thredbo has some very fast sections and alot of blind corners as well.
The pros I've spoken to honestly don't care. I held up Jared Graves in practice, I spoke to him after and he didn't give a shit. He was fine and so were the other pros/elites that I spoke to. They couldn't see a good reason for split practice.

I think atsmito's suggestion is a winner.

Last edited:

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Squidly Didly said:
That is the best realistic solution i've read so far. Not bad for your '1st' post eh!
Split practice has been around for many years yes, but not many (if any) other tracks stop runs at 4pm.
It may be too late for this particular race, but there's nothing stopping us for planning future races at Thredbo. We've still got the opening state round there in March as well.
As for the whole rider skill level thing, i'm all for introducing what NSWMTB has done with the State Series... Basically you must have a full MTBA licence, and have completed at least ONE state round, before you are aloud to race at the Championships.
While this will ultimately reduce numbers, a Regional series will be introduced to target the more 'fun' lineup of riders, without holding back our more 'professional' races.
That won't get rid of Snow Princess.... who is likely to be the slowest rider (although she wasn't at Interschools).

She already had 2 National Interschools Titles (03 & 04), now has a National round 1st place. She has had a MTBA licence for 2 seasons and a season pass for 2 seasons. She also took out the U/15 National XC title yesterday(which is partly on the Mt B downhill track!!!).

We don't do the State Rounds because they clash with Ski races/training although maybe the Thredbo round this year, ski training commitments pending.

BTW, I spoke with the Buller Officials this morning and they WANT her to race.... even though I told them she would have to walk several parts.

When I mentioned that she had copped some flak for riding at the National Round today to the Buller Officials they were very dissapointed, so were a few of the Thredbo locals that have read some of it on here.

Maybe you don't want to increase/encourage male riders.... but the sport needs ALL the female riders it can get!!!!!

Demo Dave

Likes Dirt
Well anyway the split thing is going to happen no matter how much people bitch on here. If you don't like it, don't go. easy as.

Balfa_Oli

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As much as i'd like to be riding all day down there.
It doesn't bother me too much.
It's better then having 300+ riders trying to go up and down the crackenback at once.
It's probably easier for the marshals aswell.

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Demo Dave said:
Well anyway the split thing is going to happen no matter how much people bitch on here. If you don't like it, don't go. easy as.
This thread is full of bitching and it's going to happen no matter how many people bitch about bitching. If you don't like it, don't click. Easy as.

Although, there is a thing called presenting your view and backing it up with logic and suggestions. Just because you don't agree, or think it's a waste of time, doesn't make it any less satisfying for those who just want to speak their mind. You never know who might be listening.

toodles

Wheel size expert
This is why I like it when they restrict a whole track or a decent part of a trck to A grade and U/19s. Obviously this is impossible for a lot of locations, but where it is possible it lets the Elite riders practise a decent section without running over us mere mortals and it also serves the purpose of encouraging guys to step it up to A grade.

Doesn't Elite still cost more to enter anyway? Surely they deserve some time to reflect the entry fee and the extra challenge they're facing. After all lads, there's literally nothing stopping you from entering Elite except your own decisons

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry too cahnge the topic from nationals to interschools, but would they be running the same system at interschools? Sorry about changing the topic, just didn't see the reason of making a new one.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Interschools has always had split practice, but they split it up more....

Div 1 & 2 male, Div 3 Male then All Div Female.

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BrumbyJack said:
Interschools has always had split practice, but they split it up more....

Div 1 & 2 male, Div 3 Male then All Div Female.
ok thanks, it my 1st year there so i'm not sure how its all ran. will have to read over rawNRG some more. thanks :)

aussie

Division One
Sqiud I didnt miss the point at all I am just putting my personal spin on it. I have been held up before and first impresion when being put in this situation is being pissed off (which is gone almost right away as the grom dives out of my way). Then I think mea what ever if I really want to I can just punch out another run to make up for it like Boyer said you can get in at least 4 runs an hour in. Thats like 16 run in your group and I dont think any one has every done 16 runs in a hole day there.

I stated that it was for safety because you do get people hurling them selfs of the track trying to do the right thing and hurting them selfs.

Also we have been doing it like this for some time now and it works fine.

I am not

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
aussie said:
I have been held up before and first impresion when being put in this situation is being pissed off (which is gone almost right away as the grom dives out of my way).
I can see this argument from both sides being midfield in Expert.
While I do get caught by many Elite level riders, all I can do is move over at the first available opportunity.
I expect nothing but the same when i'm catching a slower rider. If i'm in single-track or what could be a difficult section for the rider to be passed, i'll keep my cool. It's only when the rider in front doesn't make any effort in moving in an open area that i'll crack the shits.
aussie said:
Then I think mea what ever if I really want to I can just punch out another run to make up for it like Boyer said you can get in at least 4 runs an hour in. Thats like 16 run in your group and I dont think any one has every done 16 runs in a hole day there.
That then opens up the argument of just how many runs people punch out if given the whole day. Some people will like to punch out double digits, while the rest just want to moderate their runs. Rushing everyone in a 3hr block just creates panic to punch out as much as they can in such a short period. As Kram has also stated, all you need is ONE mechanical and your day is over.
aussie said:
I stated that it was for safety because you do get people hurling them selfs of the track trying to do the right thing and hurting them selfs.
Then maybe during 'initiation' or 'rider briefings', people should be explained about over-taking. This is done before every major xc race i've entered, but no-one seems to mention this in DH. People need to be educated.
aussie said:
Also we have been doing it like this for some time now and it works fine.
Well there's more then enough opposing for us to think about revising the system. The sport's only going to get bigger and suggestions must be brought forward. Ideas will never get implemented unless people pipe up. It's much better then just sitting with our thumbs up our arses going 'meh'.

If shit has to hit the fan before things get implemented, then so be it. But let the 'constructive' bitching continue so that we can here more bright ideas like Smitos.