Spoke Question

Anakist

Squid
Yes I have searched. No it hasn't been answered. :p

I have two complete bikes that I am going to re spoke. Both 2006 Avanti Escapes. The current galvanised spokes on the bikes are starting to break fairly regularly and I am going to replace them with some nice new double butted stainless steel ones!

I measured one of the removed broken front spokes and it is 168mm. The left side rear looks to be the same length, and at a guess, the drive side rear looks to be 12mm shorter. Is there any way I can use a single length spoke and cut the long ones down inside the wheel with that combination? The wheels are 32 hole, laced 3 cross so I need 144 spokes. Being able to buy a single gross of spokes and nipples from ebay would be fantastic! I have relaced my front wheel onto a new hub and so I feel confident I can lace them, and just get the LBS to true them, which they have done for me before.

Thanks!

James

bipyjamas

Likes Dirt
Definitely get the right spoke lengths for the job rather than modifying spokes. You need all the thread intact so the wheel can properly be trued and tensioned so cutting is not really an option, nor is getting spokes that are too long.

Also two things regarding your measurements,

1. Your spoke length seems very short at 168mm
2. The difference between the left and right side rear seems like a lot at 12mm

Best thing to do is to just take it to the bike shop and have them measure it up or undo the respective spokes yourself. Alternatively, try and find out the ERD of the front and rear rims as well as the PCD and flange spacing of the hubs so you can use a online spoke length calculator.

Last edited:

Anakist

Squid
You are right. Spoke length is 268mm. Still about the same difference though.

Looks like I just have to buy two lengths of spokes. I need 96 long and 32 short spokes, and some spares will be useful!

LBS's are quoting $1.50 - $2.50 per spoke for double butted. I can get stainless 2.0/1.7/2.0 and nipples for about $90 for a pack of 144 so I know which way I am going!

EDIT: I am disassembling the wheels for a measure up tomorrow. Then it is off to buy spokes!

EDIT: Will I need 2.0/1.8 for just commuting and touring? We are running 26" x 1.25" slicks at 100Psi, and I weigh 130kg. At the moment the only luggage on the bikes is a small front pack with about 2kg max of stuff in it. Some times we ride on gravel roads, but ,most of our riding is just on bitumen. Will 2.0/1.4 or similar be strong enough?

James

Last edited:

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
2.0/1.8 is what you should be looking for. Any lighter will flex too much and compromise on performance and longevity for your application.

I'd guess that the driveside rear is more like 2mm shorter, not 12mm. If you take the wheels to a shop they can measure the spokes properly and supply you the new ones. Alternatively, use a spoke calculator as already mentioned.

Don't even get involved in cutting spokes to length and attempting to re-thread them. It's a nightmare, even if you have a spoke threading machine. Spokes are available in 2mm increments from the major manufacturers.

- Joel

T-Rex

Template denier
Most of the advice above I agree with:

1. Pull spokes out and measure them, don't guess.
2. Drive side will typically be 2mm shorter than non drive, but not always
2. Don't even think about modifying spokes, just buy the right length.

Some other perspectives/comment:

I personally wouldn't bother with double butted for your application, they are usually for competition. 2.0/1.8 for downhill, 2.0/1.5 for XC racing. I would just get straight guage 2mm, they will be fine and considerably cheaper than double butted.

Use NEW brass nipples.

Even if you replace the spokes one at a time, you will need to true the wheel, and most importantly get the spoke tension right and even. This is best done with the right tools, a trueing stand and a spoke tension meter. Yes, you can get away without them, trueing the wheels in the frame and going by feel on the spokes, but it's not ideal. Assuming you dont want to buy these things, it might be worth getting your LBS to put the finishing touches on your wheels.