Spokes Constantly Going Loose?

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey my spokes are constantly coming loose after a ride and I was wondering what I can do about it. My bike is pretty new so i was wondering if it happens to all new bikes. I have a 2008 kona cowan. I was wondering on putting lock tight on them?
Thanks
Adam

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your spokes are probably coming loose because they are not correctly tensioned - if they are not tight enough they will allow the wheel to flex. This takes the tension off some of the spokes allowing the nipples to turn - hence the loosening.

Your best bet is to get them professional tuned up.

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeh It has just come back from my lbs and it was good for the first ride but aftet that it was loose again.:confused:

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
helps if someone pulls the wheel out and loc-tites all the spoke threads. this will probably solve your problem.

MrPlow

TMBC
Your spokes are probably coming loose because they are not correctly tensioned - if they are not tight enough they will allow the wheel to flex. This takes the tension off some of the spokes allowing the nipples to turn - hence the loosening.

Your best bet is to get them professional tuned up.
Just get s spoke spanner and go around your wheel. if they are straight already try 1/2 a turn each spoke.
They prob aren't tight enough as the wheel rotates it is 'seeing' both compression and tension, loosening the nipple and reducing spoke life. tighten the spokes and they will always see the same force, therefor always in tension therefor not loosening and increasing spoke life.

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeh i might get it lock tightened and trued by a professional but if i want get them off i won't be able to

Dan

Likes Dirt
Its all in the initial wheel build ;)

Have someone who knows how to build wheels build your wheel... And youll be laughing for months!

My mate who builds awesome wheels built mine, and they have lasted the longest any wheel has ever lasted. And thats on a hardtail doing pretty harsh stuff.