AM Spooky is bringing the Reign

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Not the easiest to measure due to the junk in the way, but its between a 13.75 to a 14" BB (measured off the ground).

HA is approximately 67deg, maybe a touch less, im using my camber gauge and its spazzing out slightly because there isnt much headtube for it to sit against (compared to a 14" rim)

Is this the stock shock size, or are you planning on a longer stroke? Will be an awesome bike when your done - im building-up a similar 05 Reign right now.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Hmm, strange, the BB looks 14+ in the last pic. That's good angle/height, about the same as my Pitchs.
A piggy back shock would give a touch more travel(if it fits), but I wouldn't put a larger eye to eye in.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Hmm, strange, the BB looks 14+ in the last pic. That's good angle/height, about the same as my Pitchs.
A piggy back shock would give a touch more travel(if it fits), but I wouldn't put a larger eye to eye in.
Yeh true. I have read that increasing the eye-to-eye completely stuff the geometry up with the reign (prob all bikes for that matter). Longest shock I have heard of for this frame is 8 x 2.5.. too big for sure!!!

takai

Eats Squid
I doubt you would be able to fit a larger E2E shock in, the shock would hit against the seattube.

Also i just remeasured its more like 14.25-14.5. About 1" above the axle line anyway.

Im probably going to put a Float RP23 7.875x2.25 shock in.

crankyjerome

Likes Dirt
dh reign

this is a bike i built up a couple of years ago.
probably one of the nicer bikes ive ridden,fork made this bike really versitile.
weight was around 16.5kg.
i was sad to sell this one go!!

Attachments

takai

Eats Squid
I dont know if i would like it with the Boxxers. But looks pretty good.

Oh yeah, splitting off the DJ bike. (off this thread anyway)

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
^^ high BB.
I'm happy with my Pitchs now, 14" BB with 6.5 travel Kowa forks at 65.5 degree head angle. But that's the extreme and may never use it, I can drop the travel down to any height I want, 1" travel = 1 degree of head angle. The Kowas sorta tall, with 36s it'd be a touch steeper.
and my one is the same, but I have to lower the legs in the crowns to change head angle.
I still doubt my Pitch has as nice rear travel as the Reigns though:eek: and the Reign probably has a stiffer rear.

Last edited:

takai

Eats Squid
Yeah, its not overly low. Measured it yet again and its definately closer to 14.25 than 14.5.

Doesnt really ride like a bike with a high BB. Rides much like the DJer with its 13.5" BB. (or less depending on what travel the Pikes are set to).

takai

Eats Squid
I got a new toy today, and not one which will relieve any of my weight weenie tendencies:

That said the Reign is a bit lighter than i was expecting, i was expecting over the 16kg mark.

hey great build, i have the exact same model reign. just a question: is the cable rub better with your setup? as the standard routing is terrible.
they're great bikes and good for racing downhill, have fun!

takai

Eats Squid
Got an order in from Toronto Cycles with a bit of bling.

One of the jockey wheels was already flogged out, and with the stock plastic ones being about the same price which Toronto Cycles charge for those bling ones i figured why not.
$4 for some bolts as well.... woot

takai

Eats Squid
Bit of a thread resurrection:

Brought the bike out of storage at the start of the year, and stripped it back to rebuild it as a Trail/Enduro bike.

Big changes are the Hope/Stans wheelset, 1x10 XT drivetrain and brakes. Almost the only things that remained were the Hone cranks, 36s and the frame.

Rides pretty well as a trail bike, and i havnt found much reason to upgrade to a newer frame yet (as much as i want to). Certainly doesnt bomb DH like the Cove Shocker i had in between, and doesnt climb like my mates Trek Gary Fisher Paragon, but its a good trail bike, mainly needs tweaking of pressures to get a bit better.

takai

Eats Squid
Fitted the OneUp 42T and RAD cage tonight:

Plus cut down a e13 TRS backing plate to make a taco only bash guard:

Will see how it all goes on the weekend, but seems to be shifting well on the stand.