Spring Weights

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm riding on a Marzocchi Roco TST at the moment, doing a bit of everything (jumps, drops, downhill and even a bit of XC[i say xc, i mean stuff like manly dam]). There is a 550lb spring on it right now and I think thats about right (with an appropriate shock setup) but i cant find a spring weight calculator or anything else helpful. I'm about 6'3" and about 85-90kegs - confirmation/contradiction anyone?

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
Forget about that, what matters is if the spring rate allows you to achieve proper sag. For eg. I can run a 450 lb spring on my bike and it will give me 30% sag with the spring screwed in Max allowable turns, (5). this depends on Maufacturer recommendations. With a 550 lb rate I can run between 15 and 25 % sag, the stronger spring rate is better for pedaling and climbing and singletrack, but a lower rate is great for descending. Calculations based on weight only do not take into account the bikes leverage ratio, so in effect 30% sag on your shaft may infact be 40 % of your bikes sag.

I actually weigh about the same as you and feel a bit in between rates so I've got a couple...(soon to be 3) different spring rates..so I'm covered for anything. Clive Forth, (some pommy enduro DHer lad) runs 40% sag on his Nomad. But yeah as long as your getting proper sag and if it feels too stiff go 50 lb lower.