spring

castlo

Likes Dirt
hey guys and girls,

is there anyone out there that runs a powdercoated rear spring?

im thinking about doing this to match a possible upgrade onthe front forks, gripsport said it'll be fine, but before i go slashing cash does anyone have any feed back??

cheers

castlo

macca21

Likes Dirt
never actually had it done, but though that powder-coating would be very brittle and likely to chip and break upon compression. i was thinking an enamel would do a better job of withstanding compression, twisting etc.
maybe get grip to clarify further?

castlo

Likes Dirt
very conflicting results, i might get grip to show me some photo's of springs powder coated and in use. would that be a go?

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
I think your getting enamel and powdercoat confused. Powdercoat is far more flexible than enamel. Enamel tends to chip. Powdercoat is used in alot of applications where the metal is flexible for example fencing wire. A spring will be fine. Plus Grip certainly knows what he is talking about when it comes to that kind of stuff.

macca21

Likes Dirt
ah ok, i stand corrected.
i thought the powdercoating was more fragile because i had my swingarm done by gripsport and anything that hit it, ie rocks, would chip and flake the coat very easily. reaching the point where i could flick and nick the paint with my fingernail.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It depends on what coating you choose and the thickness but if they know it is for a spring it will be ok.

castlo

Likes Dirt
cheers guys, so when i get these 2011 40's in white i'll get the spring in gold for the rear and it'll be more pimping than now hehehe :D

powdercoating it is