Springs in drop off triples

Hi guys in in the process of changing the oil in my drop off triples and there are springs in both sides. The manual i have from "manualer.happymtb.org/marzocchi/" seems to inculcates that there should only be one and the other side should have a dampening rod or something like that, not a spring in any case. Any help would be good

Cheers

Jimmy

bogankona

Likes Dirt
in my 06 drop off triples i opened both caps at the top pushed lowers up, so that both springs were showing then drained the oil and feeled it back up with new oil.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
in my 06 drop off triples i opened both caps at the top pushed lowers up, so that both springs were showing then drained the oil and feeled it back up with new oil.
Cop a good feel? Want a medal?

The internals of the Drop Offs changed a few times throughout their production. Your fork is most likely the 2004-05 fork which featured Spring+Air Preload chambers on both sides, as well as fixed damping. I dare say your manual is probably for one of the later forks. For oil heights, see here. Stock oil weight in that fork is 7.5wt. If your rebound damping is too slow (taking into account it features fixed rebound adjustment), use a heavier oil (10wt). If 7.5wt is too slow, use a lighter oil (5wt).

Good luck!

Ok that explains that thanks Ango. Now how do i figure out the air pressure to put in if none of the manuals i have are right?

I'm 70kg if that helps..

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
God, drop offs. I have single crown 2005's and I'm still working out how to get them working nicely.

At the moment I'm experimenting with no pressure in the left, and minimal in the right hand side. If you go with the manual you'll end up with a pretty locked out fork. They seem to get very rigid around 10psi or so, so I'm simply counting the number of times I have to pump my shock pump (pressure doesn't register on the gauge).

I recommend adding air until it feels like it's rebounding OK. Add or remove air until it feels reasonably good.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
You could safely run your fork with no air to be honest as Air Preload is only there as a sag setting (though the fork could be a little soft). If it is too soft, do as miko suggested and utilize only one air chamber.

As for oil heights (ie. how much oil you should put in). Be aware that you can deviate from that number. For example, more oil will create more bottom out resistance near the end of the stroke, but will probably mean you only get and effective 150 of your 170mm travel depending on how much more oil you add. Devote a morning to just playing as those Marzocchis, whilst limited in their adjustability, can in fact be pretty accurately dialed in, just takes some time and patience.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At your weight I wouldn't be surprised if you'd need a lighter oil too. You'll be running so little pressure that I think it will have trouble overcoming a 7.5wt in rebound.

Do that after you try all the air tuning though.

These forks are pretty simple. Once they're setup as Ango said, you'll probably never had to touch them again.