Squeaky Crank.

kembro

Squid
Hi All,

Got my first MTB in years last week. Ended up with a Mongoose Fireball due to budget restrictions (The missus wouldn't let me spend $1.5k on an STP). I've since added Juicy 3's for a bit of extra stopping power.

I scored it mainly for the TruVativ Blaze 36t with Howitzer BB, which looked nice and strong. Trouble is on cold mornings the crank squeaks away, only thing i've found that shuts it up is a cup of warm water. It's fine after that. Is this normal? or should I be getting the crank repacked?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
Should't be squeeking, I would just take it back to your LBS and tell them its squeeking / creaking. They should re-install the cranks and BB for you at no charge, sounds like everything just needs a good greasing...bike factories are terrible at putting grease on where it should be.

Cheers,

Ken

mufasa

Squid
my crank was doing that a while back. i took it to the local bike shop and the guy at the counter just pulled out a hex key and tightened it a bit and it hasn't squeaked since. those guys at hendrix cycles know their stuff.

avanti92

Likes Dirt
It can be many things it can be the joins where your crank arms go on the BB or it can be that the BB is loose or not enough grease around the shells (put it this way mine did it and it cost be a whole BB the cranks arms could move about 20mm side to side because i left the BB loose and it squeaked and it SCREWED the bearings something hardstyle LOL)

kembro

Squid
Thanks, Bike shop reckons they're a sealed bearing and also suggested it may be the crank arms on the BB. So got the inox onto it and i'll see if it improves. Or it's going back in for a fix, as the noise is annoying, esp when the missus's $150 B Dub bike isn't squeaking.

Benjy

Squid
Hey yeah, I got a mongoose fireball as well, 2008 model just to start getting into dirtjumping, and one day my crank started squeaking as well...lyk really really loudly, i ended up pushing it bak to the house because pedaling made such an embarrassing noise :) but yeh, i just put a whole heap of spray on grease stuff onto it and it seems to have stopped....i origionaly thought is was dirt getting in or something...but the oil seems to have done the job.
Have u noticed that the seat gets loose really quickly? because mine did but then they replaced it.

kholden_1992

Likes Dirt
take the cranks apart and greese everything

and if it still makes a noise dont hesitate to give it more

but do not use moto bike greese its too thick

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine was squeeking when I put it back together. I took it apart, greased up the BB cups some more and it went away.