SR Forks

Melony

Likes Bikes
Hey guys

I have a question about SR forks, are they anÿ good do they compare to rock shox or other brands.

I don't want to do DH or DJ, I am after a decent fork for mainly XC and commuting. I am over 100kg in weight as well.

Any info would be great.

moorey

call me Mia
You're talking Suntour forks? For the price of newies, you cound get great used Rock Shox that would be a lot better....For a little more than the the price of second handies, you could still get good rock shocks.
Fine for commuting, but a couple more dollars spent on a better brand would be well spent.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid

tango

Likes Bikes
I'm running an sr epicon on my hard tail and can't complain about, its even lighter than more expensive brand. But also, I only weigh 70kgs......so probably a different story, thats just me.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Do not buy them.

You probably haven't seen the photo of my mate who had a pair snap at the steerer then stab him in the face, and you probably dont want to.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't think op is planning the same sort of riding your BF does. That said, buy SH fox or RS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member FN2187

They are RST's, not SR Suntours.

Ive got Sr Suntour Duros on my DJ bike and I cannot complain. Build quality is pretty good now days. For anyone wondering Sr suntour have made the internals of cheaper Marzocchi forks for years(DJ's included). So performance wise they are on par with cheaper Marz forks. Also bear in mind they sponsor James Doerfling and he competed in Rampage on a pair of the new Sr Suntour RUX forks.

cobba

Likes Dirt
Hey guys

I have a question about SR forks, are they anÿ good do they compare to rock shox or other brands.

I don't want to do DH or DJ, I am after a decent fork for mainly XC and commuting. I am over 100kg in weight as well.

Any info would be great.
The quality of SR Suntour forks depends on the model.

How much money do you want to spend ?
Is there a specific fork that you're looking at ?

A lot of forks won't come setup for someone that weighs 100kg, if you get a coil spring fork you'll probably have to upgrade the spring in it.

Ive got Sr Suntour Duros on my DJ bike and I cannot complain. Build quality is pretty good now days. For anyone wondering Sr suntour have made the internals of cheaper Marzocchi forks for years(DJ's included). So performance wise they are on par with cheaper Marz forks.
I think that it depends on which SR Suntour fork you get, they make cheap low quality forks that can be found for well under $100 and more expensive high quality forks that can sell for over $500.

SR Suntour made complete forks for Marzocchi as far back as at least 2001 and from late 2008 till mid 2012 they made all of the Marzocchi forks. Marzocchi stopped using SR Suntour for fork production last year, they are now using the Taiwanese company Hodaka.
http://www.bike-eu.com/Home/General/2009/1/SR-Suntour-Becomes-Biggest-in-Bike-Suspension-BIK003197W/
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/international/2012/07/12/marzocchi-looks-hodaka-assembly#.UTAfzxnRweM

Melony

Likes Bikes
Shreeden
Damn stan your mate come unstuck pretty well, looks like he went 12 rounds with Tyson.

A lot of the bike stores I have spoke with last few days have said the same as some other posters that the suntour products have come along way in the last 2 years.

However that said for a fork that would handle my weight I would need a $400+ sr where as I could buy an air rock shox already on a rig and have no issues.

Wow I can not believe Marz were getting sr to build their forks, back when I use to race in the days of hans rey, missy glove, Shaun palmer and cadel. Both Marz and rst were killer gear and proud they built their own products.