Sram 1x11 problems

Recently gone with a Sram GX 1x11 set up and having some shifting problems. Currently it's about 2 and a bit months old and has been running fine, regularly cleaned and lubricated. I have only had to make some small adjustments at the shifter as the new cable stretched. Now I am getting irregular shifting both up and down with most of my problems in the middle of the cassette to lower gears. Some times it is just fine, sometimes it is slow, skip shifts, or won't shift, it's basically all over the place. The teeth all look fine and the hanger looks straight. Is there anything I am missing, overlooking ?

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Recently gone with a Sram GX 1x11 set up and having some shifting problems. Currently it's about 2 and a bit months old and has been running fine, regularly cleaned and lubricated. I have only had to make some small adjustments at the shifter as the new cable stretched. Now I am getting irregular shifting both up and down with most of my problems in the middle of the cassette to lower gears. Some times it is just fine, sometimes it is slow, skip shifts, or won't shift, it's basically all over the place. The teeth all look fine and the hanger looks straight. Is there anything I am missing, overlooking ?
Possibly not. I've found my X1 shifting to be not that great. Tried everything to solve it but now just put up with it because it's good enough. Set it up so it drops to a higher gear without lagging and leave it at that.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Check that the cassette is not loose, hanger is aligned and tight, the derailleur cage is not damaged etc. at the back end.

Then I'd check the cable routing. Make sure it is a good routing path and no damaged/ pinched sections in the housing.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Check that the cassette is not loose, hanger is aligned and tight, the derailleur cage is not damaged etc. at the back end.

Then I'd check the cable routing. Make sure it is a good routing path and no damaged/ pinched sections in the housing.
I'd start from scratch and reset stops and make sure the b screw is in as far as it will go without fouling the 42 on that change. Or take it to a mechanic if you are stuck. I have just had a b screw that unwinds itself untill I put some locktite on it - it does happen

Edit, of course in addition to everything creaky says - do his list first, then contemplate mine

sprocket

Likes Dirt
Just because a hanger looks straight it doesn't mean it is straight, especially with 11spd as it only needs to be a bee's dićk out and it can effect shifting, so maybe get your LBS to stick an alignment tool on it, also use a good quality gear outer housing and inner cable, if the lining on the inner has worn or the cable has a bit of friction that can also lead to odd shifting behaviour. Cheap gear cable sets can have slop in them from new which you can get away with if you have 9spd or less but 10/11 speed it can be just enough to cause issues.

It ended up being the B tension screw. It amazes me how even the slightest adjustment made a world of difference. In the brains trust now, 1x11 requires perfect b tension. Must be because of that big 42t, as I have only had 11-36 in the past.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Another thing to ask us are you using a 10sp quick link? These will also cause poor shifting and chain jumping in an 11sp system.

All the SRAM 1x group sets from GX to XO1 should shift like a dream. I wouldn't accept anything sub optimal as normal. The same goes for the Shimano gear.

You either have an issue with a component, adjustment or alignment. Hanger alignment is more critical with 11sp than it was with 10sp and 9sp etc.

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd dig this one up from 2016...
I've just built a Norco Torrent 27.5+ for my son with GX 11 speed derailleur and a Sunrace 11-46 cassette. It shifts well in the lower 10 gears, but won't get up onto the 46t cog.
I've sent the bike off to Astro (absolute legend) for some love and he couldn't get it to work either, but his theory was that the Hope Pro 4 with a shimano freehub and the Sunrace cassette a different offset to an XD driver and cassette. Hanger was checked and is ok.
Any thoughts or pearls of wisdom?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
42t is certainly a major cheat, should be rubbed out from recreational cycling, personal opinion only
So back in the day when we rode 8 speed triple ring cranks with a gear range of 3.64 - 0.73 that was OK, but a 32T ring with a 10-42 cassette giving a gear range of 3.2 - 0.76 is cheating?

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
I've just built a Norco Torrent 27.5+ for my son with GX 11 speed derailleur and a Sunrace 11-46 cassette. It shifts well in the lower 10 gears, but won't get up onto the 46t cog.
I've sent the bike off to Astro (absolute legend) for some love and he couldn't get it to work either, but his theory was that the Hope Pro 4 with a shimano freehub and the Sunrace cassette a different offset to an XD driver and cassette. Hanger was checked and is ok.
I've fixed a few shifting issues on brand new bikes coming with Sunrace cassettes immediately fixed by replacing the cassette with either a shimano or sram. Most have those been 11 speed.

safreek

Do you even ride, bro?
So back in the day when we rode 8 speed triple ring cranks with a gear range of 3.64 - 0.73 that was OK, but a 32T ring with a 10-42 cassette giving a gear range of 3.2 - 0.76 is cheating?
Any gears are cheating, I am just upgrading to 10 from 9. I feel like Ben Johnson. I may soon upgrade to 7 or 8 speed for ultimate coolness

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have no exp with Sram GX but if the adjusting screw to set the top limit is fully screwed out and the span wont let it step up onto the 46t, I'd be looking at a cassette spacer that is supplied with most hubs now, to set the cassette outboard a bit further. Hard to diagnose without seeing it...

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
If Astroboyracer can't fix it, it almost certainly can't be fixed.

Only thing I can think of is that the cassette is installed without the spacer that is necessary for PRO 4 with a Shimano freehub. Can't imagine he didn't check that though.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm, it could be the cassette spacing and more than likely my fault....
I bought a set of LB 35mm carbon wheels second hand and they didn't come with a cassette spacer. I just went to the LBS and said give me a cassette spacer, perhaps they come in different thicknesses or Hope have a special one.
Otherwise I suppose I'll just get an XD driver and a SRAM cassette, then the Sunrace can go in my ever increasing pile of perfectly good parts that I never use.
What started out as a cheap frame and second hand parts has got well and truly out of hand.