Sram Eagle 12sp?

Ivan

Eats Squid
About to drop????
[video=youtube;ZiALL1fnolk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=87&v=ZiALL1fnolk[/video]

Ivan

Eats Squid
The embargo stamp was 24/3 I believe so we are getting close. 12sp, 50T-10T - me likey.

Will this be the first time that MTB has led road in the number of rear gears? Road has normally always gone ahead by 1sp at least a year before mtb from memory.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Correct me if I`m wrong , but whats the point ? What front ring will you run with this , 40 ? Won`t you just spin out . Yes I`m considering 11 speed on the AM bike when my current setup is worn ( 2 x 10 at the moment ) but even then I`m thinking of just going 1 x 10 . Its rare I use my granny bail out on the front and if i do I have to shift the rear down or up ? ( harder gear on rear ) to maintain a decent cadence so I don`t feel I`m spinning and going nowhere . All these standards , are they useful or just a gimmick that we buy into ?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Correct me if I`m wrong , but whats the point ? What front ring will you run with this , 40 ? Won`t you just spin out . Yes I`m considering 11 speed on the AM bike when my current setup is worn ( 2 x 10 at the moment ) but even then I`m thinking of just going 1 x 10 . Its rare I use my granny bail out on the front and if i do I have to shift the rear down or up ? ( harder gear on rear ) to maintain a decent cadence so I don`t feel I`m spinning and going nowhere . All these standards , are they useful or just a gimmick that we buy into ?
the point is a wide gear range with the security of a single ring up front. just because it doesn't suit you, doesn't mean it's not useful for others... (and by the sounds of it, you need to ride somewhere with more hills!)
hell, there are plenty of devout 2x and 3x fans as 1x10/11/237 doesn't offer them a big enough range.

28t ring up front with 10-42 on my 29" gives me a top speed of ~57-60km/h according to strava. this was winding it out down a firetrail though, which i might do once in a blue moon. plenty of speed for my usual riding with my pissy little chain ring.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
28t ring up front with 10-42 on my 29" gives me a top speed of ~57-60km/h according to strava. this was winding it out down a firetrail though, which i might do once in a blue moon. plenty of speed for my usual riding with my pissy little chain ring.

Jesus, my legs would catch fire if they had to spin that quickly, I think I'm done at about 40km/h with a 36t front with 26" wheels.
I'll go to 10spd, 36-36 should be all I need, I enjoy a good walk and the 11spd XT cassette is close to half a kilo!

MarioM

Likes Dirt
the point is a wide gear range with the security of a single ring up front. just because it doesn't suit you, doesn't mean it's not useful for others... (and by the sounds of it, you need to ride somewhere with more hills!)
hell, there are plenty of devout 2x and 3x fans as 1x10/11/237 doesn't offer them a big enough range.

Interesting . I do have plenty of hills . I ran a 28 11-36 for about a year on one of my XC bikes before going back to 2x and my main XC is a 3 x 10 . I keep my AM in the 36 front 98% of the time with an 11-36 and thats on gradients of 20% or more . Just not sure where the benefit is here , god knows I`ve spent the coin on the latest fad without giving it a proper evaluation . My point is where do you use the 42 or even the 50 ( if thats what it is ) not top speed . Anyone can ride at those speeds regardless of what you run .

slowmick

38-39"
I like a front derailleur. It gives you the gear range to do everything. 1 x works when you set it up for the trails you normally ride but can leave you wanting a bit more either up or down when you exploring. Ix is nice and quiet and uncomplicated but i think it makes it hard for your bike to be a do it all bike. Just my 2c. Maybe this is a plan for us to all go N+1...

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SRAM have never worked out how to make a front derailleur work. It departed from them before they even started.

Shimano have it sorted. 2x systems will still be more useful for 100-120mm trail bikes.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

On the other side of it, the trade-off of getting a wide range on a single ring is that it blows filthy great holes in the mid-range, which might be OK for some people, but others prefer a slicker progression through the gears. As an unashamed devotee of The Triple, what I'd really like to see is a tighter 11-sp. cassette option, 11-38 or even 36 for a really meaty mid-range, because seriously, 22/40 (the current lowest gear on Shimano's 3x11) is just plain ridiculous. 22/36 or 24/38 would be plenty low enough, lower than what's available on 3x10. And then there's the big ring for when things open out.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Interesting . I do have plenty of hills . I ran a 28 11-36 for about a year on one of my XC bikes before going back to 2x and my main XC is a 3 x 10 . I keep my AM in the 36 front 98% of the time with an 11-36 and thats on gradients of 20% or more . Just not sure where the benefit is here , god knows I`ve spent the coin on the latest fad without giving it a proper evaluation . My point is where do you use the 42 or even the 50 ( if thats what it is ) not top speed . Anyone can ride at those speeds regardless of what you run .
I use my 42 all the time! 10-15 minute sustained climbs warrant it for me.

Flow-Rider

Burner
FD Eulogy

Sorry, but you just got to let go peops.

[video=youtube;ZiALL1fnolk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiALL1fnolk&app=desktop[/video]

MARKL

Eats Squid
I run 1x9 on the bike I ride most, 1x12 seems decadent but the range seems awesome and there are a couple of trails that i ride that it would help on. As for the SRAM can't build a FD that is bs. I have had SRAM FD work excellent in the past...it is just something that is no longer needed.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
SRAM have never worked out how to make a front derailleur work. It departed from them before they even started.
A big part of it is their chainrings that are cut out of cooked lasagne sheets. The best derailleur has no hope of working on rings that bend out of the way.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Ditching the front derailleur is like self love vs sex with someone else, you just have to experience it first hand ( no pun intended ). It reduces the task load, coming into a corner out of shape, apply the brakes without locking up, miss the trees, drop down two gears with your right thumb only.

1x12 looks very cool, when I wear out the xx1 I'll probably jump to this and trickle the xx1 down to the second bike. Currently using a 30t with 10-42, like mitchy I'm spinning pretty hard to get to 60km/h on fire roads/blacktop, 10-50 would let me go back up to a 34t chainring.

Any more details online yet? Same xd driver I'm assuming, same cassette width, narrower 12speed chains? Is the 50t cog aluminium? Price?

While 12speed is a nice evolution, someone hurry up and bring a constant velocity drive train to market that's just as efficient, light, robust.

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
My vote is for a 9-50 1x12. Without doing the maths this range would cover any 2x system with the advantage of 1x slickness and simplicity.