SRAM Eagle eTap - soon?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
This first popped up a few weeks ago, so I suspect it can't be that far from release. Having worked on a few eTap road bikes, all I can really say is that its only perceived advantage is that there is no wiring. Which means every component has its own battery, unlike Shimano Di2 which runs the whole system off a single battery. The shifting is slower than Di2, by SRAM's own admission entirely as a power-saving measure for the derailleur battery (or batteries for a 2x). and when I say slower, I mean it is slow. Sure you get the consistency afforded by electronics, but when you can shift better yourself with cables it's not a good system. And if the way the road system works is any guide, you're going to - *gasp* - have to use two shifters even for a 1x system. MTB may be different, but I don't know yet.

Short version is that while eTap may appear more advanced by being wireless, Shimano Di2 is actually a far better system operationally.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I can't really see the advantage of electronic shifting when all I hear is complaints. My drivetrain is faultless as it is and I ain't sold on any electronic shifting, especially if its shitting itself for the pro guys.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It'll exist, but who is going to buy it. Enough bent Eagle cages out there to scare anyone away.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
This first popped up a few weeks ago, so I suspect it can't be that far from release. Having worked on a few eTap road bikes, all I can really say is that its only perceived advantage is that there is no wiring. Which means every component has its own battery, unlike Shimano Di2 which runs the whole system off a single battery. The shifting is slower than Di2, by SRAM's own admission entirely as a power-saving measure for the derailleur battery (or batteries for a 2x). and when I say slower, I mean it is slow. Sure you get the consistency afforded by electronics, but when you can shift better yourself with cables it's not a good system. And if the way the road system works is any guide, you're going to - *gasp* - have to use two shifters even for a 1x system. MTB may be different, but I don't know yet.

Short version is that while eTap may appear more advanced by being wireless, Shimano Di2 is actually a far better system operationally.
Just been reading some reviews on the road system and it makes for a clean install, but multiple batteries and slow shifting. Looks like the photos of the MTB system will have a large paddle which can be rocked to shift and a button for the index finger.

Seems to have worked for Nino taking the win in the latest XC. With SRAMs geo block I reckon the price is going to be huge!

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Pretty much it - not to mention consumables/repairs and lead times. We might as well not talk about sram stuff in Straya.
They've been clever (sly?) getting Eagle on to so many mid-range bikes. Wonder how many of the poor bastards who bought the bikes were thinking that far ahead to when they have to replace worn parts or when they munch the low-hanging derailler or bend the weaksauce cassette...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I can't really see the advantage of electronic shifting when all I hear is complaints. My drivetrain is faultless as it is and I ain't sold on any electronic shifting, especially if its shitting itself for the pro guys.
What suddenly went wrong with humble shifting cable?

Apart from being lower tech, not needing charging, easy to replace, reliable and just works. I must have missed the bulletin.

Dear Bike Industry, please work on the harder stuff that really matters. No, we have enough wheels sizes too, thanks for asking.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
What suddenly went wrong with humble shifting cable?

Apart from being lower tech, not needing charging, easy to replace, reliable and just works. I must have missed the bulletin.

Dear Bike Industry, please work on the harder stuff that really matters. No, we have enough wheels sizes too, thanks for asking.

Too hard for roadies to syncro shift 2X systems.

1x makes it totally redundant unless you have a great hate of cables.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Too hard for roadies to syncro shift 2X systems.

1x makes it totally redundant unless you have a great hate of cables.
I think getting ready to go for a ride and having a flat battery or finding a charged battery pack or having electrical connection gremlins. I don't want to waste time with these things :)

It sounds like adding much complexity for marginal gain - if any.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah slimjim1 definitely sly getting them on average bikes .
I have noticed fairly average riders being stuck w these ridiculous looking gears.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
We have 2 roadies, one with Di2 and one with eTap Hrd WiFli. They are both brilliant really.

I have done about 20k km on the Tarmac with Di2 and apart from crashing it once it has had no issues at all. That has been ridden in all weathers including torrential rain on numerous occasions. The battery (seat post) lasts months. I have never ever had an electrical gremlin with them (unless you count breaking the shifters off as an electrical gremlin!)

It has some really nice touches like the ability to trim the front derailleur position to stop it rubbing the chain if you cross chain.

The eTap feels nicer to use (shifter buttons are nicer) and it is definitely a nicer look with no wires. Battery life is not as good, probably charge it once a month to be safe for the derailleurs and will change the cr2032's in the shifters once a year. That's on my wife's bike so I haven't ridden it myself but she hasn't commented on slower shifting but that does seem to be the case compared to Di2. eTap is expensive though.

I guess the other issue with Etap on a road bike at least, is you end up with SRAM brakes... so far they have been ok however.

I would consider running eTap on a MTB but I don't need or want the dinner plate cassette setup. etTap 1x11 would be fine for me