SRAM NX groupset shifting

tomee

Likes Bikes
so i just got my first mtb with SRAM NX groupset. Previous to this i was on a hiatus from mtb for about 4 years and was always on XT. so have been out of the mtb world for couple of years.

first couple of rides the shifting was fine as the weather was dry, However these past few rides where the cooler weather has kicked in and gotten wet and muddy my shifting is all over the place.
  • if i shift up it would do nothing, if i shift up again it jumps 2 cogs. Same thing happens with down shifts.
  • Changing gears where the chain would jump up or down then make some 'clunk, clunk, clang'

Is this down to the NX cassette or rear mech? Would i need to retention the cable?

Would upgrading to GX be worthwhile?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Sounds like it could be a cable tension issue.

Have you played with the barrel adjustor at the shifter?

tomee

Likes Bikes
a little, but it only happens when it gets wet.
in the dry the shifting is mostly fine

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
a little, but it only happens when it gets wet.
in the dry the shifting is mostly fine
Mostly fine? Things will always shift worse when they're gunked up. Have a ride up and down the street when everything's clean and play with the barrel adjustor. Unless it's taken a hit, then there'll be other issues.

Make sure everything's tight too. Cassette, rear wheel, that type of thing.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My NX has been pretty reliable to be honest. I know NX is the low-end groupset and is sort of looked down upon but I've not had any issues with mine in over a year of riding.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
My bike has a hybrid NX/GX set up. 1x12.

Hasn't given me any trouble yet, but the shifting is not as precise or fast as my old Shimano bike... so I think it's average even when trouble free.

As mentioned, start with the barrel adjuster and wind it out to tighten the cable. If it shifts when you're winding it, you've gone to far.
Failing that, check the derailleur is straight and unmolested.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
If your cable adjustment is right and hanger is straight and nothing is loose, replace the outer cable and check your inner isn't kinked or birdcaged in any way. If you get bad shifting after a dirty wet ride it's usually crap in the cable housing.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just how wet and muddy is it getting? Maybe check drag through the cable outer housings, if it's worse during horrid conditions there's a good chance it's mucked up.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
  • Tension (not just the cables etc. Rest axle, hanger, rear triangle, cassette, crank...these can all come loose and throw out your shifting)
  • Cleanliness (chain, cassette, inside the cable outer...and so on)
  • Lube (you gotta Lube...all of it, any of it. Keep it slick!)

If those things are all in order you should shift and smile. Of course you could just sell it to me and replace as centre it with XT.