Sram PG1070 cassette, KMC X10SL chain compatability.

nicko_mx

Likes Dirt
I was wondering if it is possible to run a Sram PG1070 11-36t cassette, KMC X10SL chain with a Shimano Zee or Shimano XT rear derailleur as im wanting to go for a 1x10 set up with a wolf tooth 34t ring up front?
Also wondering about the short cage vs medium cage issue?

Its going on a Intense 275

spurr

Likes Bikes
I'm running the same chain and cassette without problems, using SRAM shifting gear but can't think of any issues with using an XT shifter & derailleur instead.

With a single ring up front you only need a derailleur with enough capacity to cover the spread of the cassette. There is a 25 tooth difference between largest and smallest cog on the P1070 you are considering (i.e. 36 minus 11). The short cage Shimanos have a maximum capacity of 28 teeth so should be all good, with the extra 3 teeth leeway covering any chain growth as the rear suspension moves.

moorey

call me Mia
The zee is available in wide range (up to 36t rear), narrow range is 28t rear max. Slx/xt/xtr come mid cage, not short. I run an slx middy on one bike, wide range zee on all the others. All are 1x, clutched, narrow wide ring. Some run 9sp xt chains, some run 10sp.
You'll be fine.