Sram Red shifter routing.

0psi

Eats Squid
Is there a trick to getting the shift cable through a Sram double tap shifter?

Brake cable slid straight through and straight into the housing but the shift cable seems to go in about 2mm and then nothing. I've tried shifting it up a couple of notches and feeding the cable through as I've shifted back down but nothing. Help. :drama:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It can be finnicky.
I am sure you are already trying to feed it through while the shifter is at one end of the range (I can never remember which end).
Other than that it is just persistence.
I have had the same issue and then it suddenly just feeds through.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Slide the cable in as far as it will go (not far). There's a little ridge it usually has trouble negotiating. Grab the cable about 1cm out from the shifter with some pliers and push it in. That gets the tip over the ridge. Then it'll slide in easily.

The other option is to get a gradual bend on the last 1cm of the cable before sliding it in so it curves back over the ridge (this is a little more finicky, I find the force it method to work best)

Have used these two methods on more than 100 cable changes easily. You won't damage anything.

0psi

Eats Squid
Slide the cable in as far as it will go (not far). There's a little ridge it usually has trouble negotiating. Grab the cable about 1cm out from the shifter with some pliers and push it in. That gets the tip over the ridge. Then it'll slide in easily.

The other option is to get a gradual bend on the last 1cm of the cable before sliding it in so it curves back over the ridge (this is a little more finicky, I find the force it method to work best)
Cheers, that worked. Once it got past a certain point it was happy days, only seemed to be about 5mm worth of cable that was difficult.

I've been a Shimano man since the days of down tube shifters and cables seem to slide through Shimano shifters really easily.

You need to stick your tongue out at just the right angle to make it work.
I've been given the same advice for climbing steep hills!