SRAM Warranty

Link

Likes Dirt
My understanding is that the carve out is not for products purchased on 'auction sites', but products purchased 'by auction'. Ebay runs auctions, but there are also a large number of online stores that operate without an auction mechanism - ie, you're purchasing at a fixed price. These purchases are covered by the ACL, as no auction took place. In essence, these Ebay stores are no different to any other online retailer, they just happen to be hosted by Ebay.
Ah that's right - good pick up - I was a bit loose with my answer and it changes the outcome here. The question is the process of sale, not the site. The only caution is that if you "Buy it now" mid way through an auction, though its an untested question, there'd be good arguments to say that was still a 'sale by auction' for the purposes of the Act. Anyway, take home message, ACL seems to apply. Bring your claims against SRAM. Go nuts.

Last edited:

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Ah that's right - good pick up - I was a bit loose with my answer and it changes the outcome here. The question is the process of sale, not the site. The only caution is that if you "Buy it now" mid way through an auction, though its an untested question, there'd be good arguments to say that was still a 'sale by auction' for the purposes of the Act. Anyway, take home message, ACL seems to apply. Bring your claims against SRAM. Go nuts.
I was curious about how the 'buy it now' option worked in the context of the ACL after reading through this thread. Can definitely see it being a grey area, unlikely to be tested any time soon given the expense of going to court to answer the question. Seems to be like if you post a 'buy it now' price, you're effectively listing an item twice - once for auction, and once for a fixed price.

bdl

Squid
... Edit: GrepP - yep I have mailed them will post up the response.

The reason I am pursuing this is because it's quite an expensive component that's failed and I'm broke at the moment!
G'Day SM, how'd you get on with this SRAM warranty claim? I'm in the same boat - bought a shock from the US, it's failed on the second outing, and I'm trying to talk to SRAM Australia about a warranty claim.

bdl

Squid
Well, for anyone else finding this: SRAM Australia seem to have accepted the US receipt as proof of purchase, no-questions-asked. They insisted we send the shock to them via a local dealer, who simply acted as a postal middleman and charged us $20 for the service.

(Unfortunately they then simply returned the shock to us without actually fixing the problem, so we have to go through another round of "can you please /read/ the problem description".)