SRAM X-7 or X-9

bigcal2233

Likes Bikes
I have a 06 Norco Atomik and i was thinking of getting Sram because i really dont like Deore and i just wanted to make sure which would be a better set of gears X-7 or X-9. I race downhill and i also do some freeride as well.

Thanks alot
cheers Calo:D

lucas_roberts

Likes Dirt
hey mate, sram is the best gearing.
just go the X-7 because they are basically the same.
it's just like X-9 and X-0 they have no difference except carbon fibre! and
about $300 difference. go the X-7

Viv92

Eats Squid
Are you aware if you change to sram you'll need new shifters as well? Also X9 is just a more improved X7, just like deore LX and deore XT I guess. It pretty much comes down to money then, but you'll be set back a few $100 bucks if you change, you could just go a higher end shimano like XT.

bigcal2233

Likes Bikes
Yer i knew that i would have to change everything but that is no problem i have tried XT on other bikes and i just dont like it as much as SRAM:D

maca_00

Likes Dirt
i used xt for a while but then changed to sram and it was awsome and just bought a new 07 x9 and its the best thing iv ever used id definatly buy the x9 over the x7 as it seems a bit stronger, thats what i found, my x9 took a good beating and a mates x7 died. but its up to you, weither you want to fork out the extra cash for x9.

CAB

Likes Dirt
X9 is very snappy and presise compared to x7 which is slightly less snappy but still smoothe either x7 or x9 you wont be disapointed if you can afford x9 get it:D

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well you've made the right choice going to sram, really good product .
I'm currently running a 06 X7 shifter and a 06 X9 derailleur, shifts really well
even after a year of thrashing. I'm pretty sure that this years X7 gear is
2006's X9 so yeah I would go this years X7 or if you've got the extra coin
definitely go for the X9 ;)

ryno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i had an X-7 then i upgraded using www.torpedo7.com.au, it was worth it, people say that there is no difference, it is better for selling if you sell your bike;)

cheers,
ryno

onedollarodent

Likes Dirt
X7 isnt that great in my experience. The shifter clamp that attaches to the handlebars sheared off clean when i was doing a baby double at mortdale and i sort of landed funny and slid sideways on my bike....

This was during the 1st day of riding, might I add... So i'd go something with a metal clamp or housing that attaches to teh handlebars (x.O here i come)

LIAM?!

Banned
X7 isnt that great in my experience. The shifter clamp that attaches to the handlebars sheared off clean when i was doing a baby double at mortdale and i sort of landed funny and slid sideways on my bike....

This was during the 1st day of riding, might I add... So i'd go something with a metal clamp or housing that attaches to teh handlebars (x.O here i come)
Must of been some major fall, I have X-7 and have crashed multiple times and thats never happened to me... :S

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
x.7 is the bomb. i have mates who bought x.9 and i decided to be a cheap bastard so i bought the x.7 and i recon it shifts better then the x.9 stuff.

Foggy

Likes Dirt
Just to clear up a few misconceptions, because I'm sure people are all talking about X7/X9 from different years.

The current (2007) X7's are last year's X9's, and the shifters do have a metal clamp. I have an 07' X7 Shifter and an 07' X9 derailleur setup on my bike and have never had a problem with it. The only major difference I can find between the X7, X9 and X0's is weight (and it's quite minimal at that).

If your bike came with an X7 setup, I would say don't bother upgrading. But seeing you are buying from scratch (and if money isn't an issue) I'd probably go for the X9 setup. But there is nothing wrong with an X7 setup either. If you still can't decide just go halfway like mine - X9 derailleur and X7 shifter! - Mike.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have 06 x0 shifter and 06 x9 derailleur on my dh bike and it shifts smoother, quicker and crisper then my friends 07 x7-x7 setup, i know alot of that is due to the shifter but i still like the derailleur better then x7, i used to be a skeptic with gears like saying there would be shit all difference between x7, x9 and x0 but as soon as i rode the higher end stuff it automatically changed my mind, and saying that your x7 is better then your friends x9 is bullshit and you should tell them to go get it tuned because x9 WILL shift nicer each time if tuned right

benni

Banned
x.7 is the bomb. i have mates who bought x.9 and i decided to be a cheap bastard so i bought the x.7 and i recon it shifts better then the x.9 stuff.
bollix, i imagine yours is tuned a bit better and the spring is tighter, there for faster, smoother shifts...
i have an 07 x9 and its amazing, i desroyed my old x7 many times, they are ok for dh but shit for freeride if you ask me...they cant take knocks at all