SRAM x.7 plastic?

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
hey everyone,
i'm probably goin to buy a sram x.7 derailuer and i was wonder if the ones from torpedo7 are the plastic ones. i had a mate tellin me today to stay with shamano becasue all the new sram stuff is plastic and it breaks.... any way any input would be great

edit: in torpedo7 it reads:

Material: Alloy B-knuckle, Stamped cage assembly, Stamped inner link, Standard pulleys

Thnks

Last edited:

Mezby

Squid
From what I understand the x.7 derailleurs are just last years X.9 rebranded. I've used an X.9 for years without any problem, I think their great.
Is this for front or rear? because sram rear derailleurs use a 1:1 actuation ration which means you can't use a sram rear shifter with a shimano rear derailleur (which uses a 2:1 ratio) or vice versa.

Front derailleur is fine though, both work with either...

Hope that helps :)

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
thanks mate, yer sorry about the lack of info in my first post. i'm buying a rear derailuer so i'm just goin to buy a x.7 shifter aswell.

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
hmmm, well now i'm really confussed... i think your point is their made from plastic but this doesn't make them a bad product? :confused: oh well, i think i'll buy one anyway...:D

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
what?? i don't understand how you think that X7's are plastic from the above posts?? of course they aren't plastic.

you know. if you go down to your local bike store as opposed to torcrappo 7, you can actually pick up one of these derailluers and have a look for yourself, removes a whole heap of guess work. the guy behind the counter will even offer you tips and advice on setup too.

amazing concept i know, but you should really give it a go sometime :rolleyes:

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They are part plastic. The "elbow" that joins the link plates to the pulley cage is plastic, the rest is metal.

I'm running the X.9 that has now become the X.7, and it's fine. It has been for a long time. If something is made with a plastic suitable for its application, it's actually a very good material to use. I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got an '06 sram X7 rear derailleur & only the knuckle is plastic.

Sram doesn't jump up and down as much as shimano and is a world of difference when youre riding in the mud compared to a shimano Alivio drivetrain.

If X7 is now equivalent to X9 that means it's equivalent to shimanos XT for comparison sake.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
then what does that make the new X9? *shudders*
Well X9 is supposedly equivalent to X0 which is equivalent to XTR. The question being what does that make X0 apart from very expensive!!

X9 is the new STP:eek: , everyones buying them those who aren't would like to??

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
i must say that the new X9 shifter/mech combination makes for some amazing performance considering the price point.

the shifts are so krispy they should make donuts :)

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
From what I understand the x.7 derailleurs are just last years X.9 rebranded. I've used an X.9 for years without any problem, I think their great.
Is this for front or rear? because sram rear derailleurs use a 1:1 actuation ration which means you can't use a sram rear shifter with a shimano rear derailleur (which uses a 2:1 ratio) or vice versa.

Front derailleur is fine though, both work with either...

Hope that helps :)
i run a sram attack shifter and a shimano ultegra roadie deraileur and it works

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
If X7 is now equivalent to X9 that means it's equivalent to shimanos XT for comparison sake.
Dont think you can compare alivio to SRAM X-7. Next level up perhaps, not alivio. May be wrong.

I'm running 07 X-9 and its the best investment for my bike I ever made! Bloody unreal.

Bazzil ballbag

Likes Dirt
to compare Shimano shifters, the Alivio has plastic covers underneath (i iknow as I broke them!), The Deore ones are plastic too, and my new XT ones are metal and look heaps sturdier.

From the bike's I've assembled at work the low level Sram stuff (X5, X7) work OK but the shifter assembly is one piece of plastic, so when you shift up or down the whole mech moves.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
X9 is the new STP:eek: , everyones buying them those who aren't would like to??[/QUOTE]

Nah, Ill stick with my XT thanks. Ha Ha!