SRAM X9 cage spring overhall

Mal01

Likes Dirt
I have an X9 rear derailleur on a second hand bike I bought recently. It's a little over a year old so I guess an '07 model. The cage spring has lost tension and it appears that the spring mechanism if full of crud - I can hear and feel what appear to be a considerable amount of grit inside.

Is there any way to dismantle the cage spring mechanism on an X9? I've managed to find out how to do on just about any other derailleur ever made (including X0) thanks to the gods of google but my current thinking is that the X9 cage spring is not servicable. Is this correct? Can this be correct? Do I have to throw away an otherwise perfectly good $180 derailleur because I can't service the cage spring?:rolleyes:

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Mate, just a thought:

Have you tried drowning the mech with WD40 or CRC, letting sit for a bit and then hitting with high pressure air gun. I've used this method before and it works pretty well to clean up the mech of a derailleur - without having to dismantle. Then get a long nose grease gun and apply liberally inside the spring mech.

Solskjaer

Likes Bikes
Sorry, I am defiantly not an expert here but I thought the x9 is an identical design to the x.0 but it uses slightly cheaper parts, i.e. no carbon fiber.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
You need to get the limiting pin out of the cage arm. Which is the hard bit as its glued into the cardon and would be easy to brake the cage trying to knock the pin out. Once the pin is out line the pin hole up with the stopper it used to stop against and it should slide out. Is easy on older models with steel cage arms as the stopper pin is screwed in.
This is all why I have switch to shimano, x9 wear out bloody quick and x0 cost to much. And then the cost of parts for them are more then a new one.

sich nich

Likes Dirt
You need to get the limiting pin out of the cage arm. Which is the hard bit as its glued into the cardon and would be easy to brake the cage trying to knock the pin out. Once the pin is out line the pin hole up with the stopper it used to stop against and it should slide out. Is easy on older models with steel cage arms as the stopper pin is screwed in.
This is all why I have switch to shimano, x9 wear out bloody quick and x0 cost to much. And then the cost of parts for them are more then a new one.
My X9 mech is an 07 one and Ive changed the cage over by the method you mention. I had another 07 one (06 may work too) with a bent parallelogram, unscrewed the lower cage limit screw and unwind the cage until it can pull out. Then the spring comes out with it. I changed it all over to the new mech with the snapped cage. brand new again.
wouldnt suggest soaking it in WD or any solvents while still assembled, it will reduce the working life of the mech considerably. Better to dismantle, clean up, pack with fresh grease, and reassemble. There are even different spring holes for different tension settings. Set that bad boy on hardest and feel quick, crisp, solid shifting immediately.

Mal01

Likes Dirt
Thanks for you thoughts and ideas guys.

Sols I've not seen an X.0 to compare but I do know that the 2007 SRAM service manual (from their website) shows 2 additional pages specifically for servicing the X.0, including dismantling the cage spring mechanism, and what that describes certainly doesn't apply to my X.9.

Cooch given that the spring housing has a seal I'm not sure this will work for getting adequate solvent and then grease through. But, given that the housing appears to be full of mud ... maybe it would let heaps though.:rolleyes:

Rufnut & Nich thanks for the clues. I'll try it out.

At least this is making me appreciate my SS all that much more! ;)