SRAM XO trail brakes dragging.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
OK, so I gave the bike a bit of love over summer and one of the things I did was replace the pads, they were getting low, so why not.

I also bled the brakes and replaced the rotor.

I always seem to remember the bike making an annoying howl if you just slightly oscillated the wheel forward and back. I just assumed the disc was probably warped and/or the old pads were contaminated and buggered.

Two short rides in and the howl is back and if I spin the wheel. 3 revolutions tops, and it stalls... That's a dragging brake. It's so frustrating as my old Elixir Cr had a contact adjust knob. These don't. That would sort the problem in 2 seconds.

Any advice would be appreciated... Duckmiester, any ideas?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
When you replace the pads you need to realign the pad/calliper combo.

[video=youtube_share;W7I6qlSsGds]http://youtu.be/W7I6qlSsGds[/video]

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
I have always used the old school technique of spinning the wheel with both bolts loose. Then jab the brake lever a few times and on the last jab, hold the lever in and gentle torque up the mount bolts.

Do you have a different technique?

Edit.... Link just loaded. Watching now

moorey

call me Mia
I have always used the old school technique of spinning the wheel with both bolts loose. Then jab the brake lever a few times and on the last jab, hold the lever in and gentle torque up the mount bolts.

Yeah, nah, that never reliably works. I start with Pistons pressed right in, and centre the calipers to the rotors. When you give a few squeezes, the Pistons should reset themselves.....but then, they are avids.... :whistle:

Works for me, sometimes takes three goes.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
With my trail XOs, if the pads have proper engagement with the rotor so no pad is hanging outside the swept area and pistons are even, loosening the bolts a little, pulling lever will align the pads to rotor.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
I am going to have a crack at pulling the caliper apart and cleaning the piston surface. This should eliminate a sticking piston.

Have to agree with you on one thing moorey.... If this bike intends on staying in the garage.

Hope brakes are next. A mate has a set... Couldn't believe the feel at the lever. So much control and adjustability

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I am going to have a crack at pulling the caliper apart and cleaning the piston surface. This should eliminate a sticking piston.

Have to agree with you on one thing moorey.... If this bike intends on staying in the garage.

Hope brakes are next. A mate has a set... Couldn't believe the feel at the lever. So much control and adjustability
as a devout hope fan myself... give the new Sram Guide's a go if you don't want to fork out Hope prices.

i miss my old Hope's (all 4 sets of them...) but the Guide's i put on at half the price are pretty bloody good.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Turfed the shimanos and went to hopes. Have one set of XTs left on the XC bike, I hate them now......

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Turfed the shimanos and went to hopes. Have one set of XTs left on the XC bike, I hate them now......
Try Formula... Did someone say light switch?!?! The engineering department at Formula clearly stopped learning the alphabet at "l" ..... "Modulation? What's that weirdo concept"

link1896

Mr Greenfield

when you bled them and replaced pads, did you return pistons home? front or rear caliper with piston(s) stuck?

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
when you bled them and replaced pads, did you return pistons home? front or rear caliper with piston(s) stuck?
The rear is the problem child. But even the front could be classed as noisey but it free spins ok.

Good point about the bleeding. I usually leave the old pads in or use the blocks supplied in the avid kit.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
The rear is the problem child. But even the front could be classed as noisey but it free spins ok.

Good point about the bleeding. I usually leave the old pads in or use the blocks supplied in the avid kit.
Could just be an overfill.

Have you tried undoing the caliper bleed port screw to release the pressure, then just doing it back up?